Sign in with
Your question

Little upgrade, worth it? make a difference?

Last response: in Systems
December 27, 2012 12:06:17 AM

Hi guys. Running an old rig that is still sorta getting it done
Wondering what component(s) is the biggest bottleneck on my computer and if it's worth upgrading or maybe new system time

asus m2n-sli deluxe
AMD Phenom 9450e Quad-Core 2.10GHz
4gb pc800 ram
nvidia 460gtx 1gb gddr5
Seagate Barracuda 7200 320gb buffer: 16mb (OS installed on w 140gb free)
Window 7 64-bit Ult

Windows Experience Index - 5.9
Processor - 6.9
RAM - 7.2
Graphics - 7.5
Gaming graphics - 7.5
Primary HD transfer rate - 5.9

As far as gaming it's only being challenged by 1 pc title (guild wars2)
As far as work, I have SH$T tons of browsers, tabs, web development stuff open at a time
I feel I see a small bit of slow-down at times

2 yrs ago I upgraded to the current cpu
2 yrs ago I upgraded to the current gpu
1yr ago upgraded to the 4gb of ram (getting 2 more sticks of 1gb)

More RAM via newegg of 8b pc800 would be about $150
Getting the same gpu off ebay to sli would be about $80

I appreciate everyone's thoughts and input. THanks!!!

December 27, 2012 2:10:59 AM

Aww no replies :(  bump?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 27, 2012 2:46:44 AM

Biggest bottle neck is your processor/Hard drive.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
December 27, 2012 2:55:09 AM

Yup. You need a new board, CPU and RAM.
m
l
December 27, 2012 3:06:40 AM

Id go with a faster CPU and RAM. 800Mhz is pretty slow by todays standards. 1333mhz is pretty much as low as Id accept for gaming personally. Plus DDR3 RAM at that speed can be had pretty cheap these days. AMD has some pretty nice prices on their Six Core CPUs and you can get the Phenom II X4s cheap too. As far as boards go I prefer Biostar boards for AMD builds, but Asus is king for Intel builds IMO.
m
l
December 27, 2012 3:16:58 AM

agent00kevin said:
Id go with a faster CPU and RAM. 800Mhz is pretty slow by todays standards. 1333mhz is pretty much as low as Id accept for gaming personally. Plus DDR3 RAM at that speed can be had pretty cheap these days. AMD has some pretty nice prices on their Six Core CPUs and you can get the Phenom II X4s cheap too. As far as boards go I prefer Biostar boards for AMD builds, but Asus is king for Intel builds IMO.

Yeah that's the problem. I believe my Motherboard can't take higher than 800mhz of ram.
And of course a new MB means a new build!
So trying to put it off..
I'm a perfectionist so it means hours upon hours of research getting the "perfect" parts for the best price

Was hoping to eek out a little more in the system :) 

Thanks everyone!!
m
l
December 27, 2012 4:11:54 AM

well as the others were saying you´re have to change mb+cpu+ram, you´re already talking about spending around 230$ on upgrades so just tell us a budget and we can help you.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 27, 2012 5:40:32 AM

Problem is that slow old quad is going to hold back any new GPU. You can put a newer faster one in, bu it won't perform like it should. Even back in the day the dual cores from Intel would stomp that quad. You already have the fastest GPU I would put in such a system. It's time for new parts if you want to keep going.
m
l
December 27, 2012 11:14:03 AM

You are looking at a new build, unfortunately. Your CPu will bottleneck a new GPU, and your RAM is WAY too slow. Of course you will also need a new mobo...
m
l
!