Service pack 2 crashes on reboot

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

Hi
I have just downloaded and installed XPHome service pack 2 on to my Compaq
Presario 53655EA, 256m ram 40g hard disc.
It now crashes on reboot and just continues to reboot and crash. I get the
log on screen, I can enter user name and password but it crashes before the
logon completes. If I don't try and log on it crashes anyway. I guess one of
the drivers is causing the problem. On Win95 there was an option of minimal
startup that loaded the bare minimum of drivers, is there a similair option
on XP. I know I could have disabled reboot on error and at least found more
info, but it's a bit late for that now... Any suggestions..

Thanks for your help
12 answers Last reply
More about service pack crashes reboot
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Hi,

    Hit F8 at startup immediately after the POST and before WinXP begins to load
    to access the boot menu and choose safe mode with command prompt. You can
    then possibly uninstall SP2 by running the spuninst.exe file under
    C:\Windows\$NtServicePackUninstall$\spuinst

    I can't find that Compaq model in the database, but you might want to check
    with Compaq/HP support about installing SP2 as there are several systems of
    thiers with known incompatibilities.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Nigel" <jassira53@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > I have just downloaded and installed XPHome service pack 2 on to my Compaq
    > Presario 53655EA, 256m ram 40g hard disc.
    > It now crashes on reboot and just continues to reboot and crash. I get the
    > log on screen, I can enter user name and password but it crashes before
    > the logon completes. If I don't try and log on it crashes anyway. I guess
    > one of the drivers is causing the problem. On Win95 there was an option of
    > minimal startup that loaded the bare minimum of drivers, is there a
    > similair option on XP. I know I could have disabled reboot on error and at
    > least found more info, but it's a bit late for that now... Any
    > suggestions..
    >
    > Thanks for your help

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Oh dear , oh dear....

    regards, Richard

    "Nigel" <jassira53@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > I have just downloaded and installed XPHome service pack 2 on to my Compaq
    > Presario 53655EA, 256m ram 40g hard disc.
    > It now crashes on reboot and just continues to reboot and crash. I get the
    > log on screen, I can enter user name and password but it crashes before
    > the logon completes. If I don't try and log on it crashes anyway. I guess
    > one of the drivers is causing the problem. On Win95 there was an option of
    > minimal startup that loaded the bare minimum of drivers, is there a
    > similair option on XP. I know I could have disabled reboot on error and at
    > least found more info, but it's a bit late for that now... Any
    > suggestions..
    >
    > Thanks for your help

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Hello Rick, ...how could he have installed it anyway, onto only a 40gb hd ?
    :-)

    regards, Richard

    > Hi,
    >
    > Hit F8 at startup immediately after the POST and before WinXP begins to
    > load to access the boot menu and choose safe mode with command prompt. You
    > can then possibly uninstall SP2 by running the spuninst.exe file under
    > C:\Windows\$NtServicePackUninstall$\spuinst
    >
    > I can't find that Compaq model in the database, but you might want to
    > check with Compaq/HP support about installing SP2 as there are several
    > systems of thiers with known incompatibilities.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Nigel" <jassira53@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >> I have just downloaded and installed XPHome service pack 2 on to my
    >> Compaq Presario 53655EA, 256m ram 40g hard disc.
    >> It now crashes on reboot and just continues to reboot and crash. I get
    >> the log on screen, I can enter user name and password but it crashes
    >> before the logon completes. If I don't try and log on it crashes anyway.
    >> I guess one of the drivers is causing the problem. On Win95 there was an
    >> option of minimal startup that loaded the bare minimum of drivers, is
    >> there a similair option on XP. I know I could have disabled reboot on
    >> error and at least found more info, but it's a bit late for that now...
    >> Any suggestions..
    >>
    >> Thanks for your help

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Hi Richard,

    Why wouldn't he have been able to install it on a 40GB hard drive? Am I
    missing something here?

    --

    "RJK" <notatospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hello Rick, ...how could he have installed it anyway, onto only a 40gb hd
    > ? :-)
    >
    > regards, Richard

    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Hit F8 at startup immediately after the POST and before WinXP begins to
    >> load to access the boot menu and choose safe mode with command prompt.
    >> You can then possibly uninstall SP2 by running the spuninst.exe file
    >> under C:\Windows\$NtServicePackUninstall$\spuinst
    >>
    >> I can't find that Compaq model in the database, but you might want to
    >> check with Compaq/HP support about installing SP2 as there are several
    >> systems of thiers with known incompatibilities.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "Nigel" <jassira53@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hi
    >>> I have just downloaded and installed XPHome service pack 2 on to my
    >>> Compaq Presario 53655EA, 256m ram 40g hard disc.
    >>> It now crashes on reboot and just continues to reboot and crash. I get
    >>> the log on screen, I can enter user name and password but it crashes
    >>> before the logon completes. If I don't try and log on it crashes anyway.
    >>> I guess one of the drivers is causing the problem. On Win95 there was an
    >>> option of minimal startup that loaded the bare minimum of drivers, is
    >>> there a similair option on XP. I know I could have disabled reboot on
    >>> error and at least found more info, but it's a bit late for that now...
    >>> Any suggestions..
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for your help

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    > Hi,
    >
    > Hit F8 at startup immediately after the POST and before WinXP begins to
    load
    > to access the boot menu and choose safe mode with command prompt. You can
    > then possibly uninstall SP2 by running the spuninst.exe file under
    > C:\Windows\$NtServicePackUninstall$\spuinst
    >
    > I can't find that Compaq model in the database, but you might want to
    check
    > with Compaq/HP support about installing SP2 as there are several systems
    of
    > thiers with known incompatibilities.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    Thanks Ric... I did as you suggested , restarted in safe mode and
    uninstalled the service pack, and once again it's working.

    ps probably the reason you couldn't find the model in the Compaq database
    was cos I miss typed it, should have been Presario 5365EA...
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Nigel,

    have you tried the workaround in
    http://www.michna.com/kb/WxSP2.htm ?

    Hans-Georg

    --
    No mail, please.
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    .....as per http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=837783
    .....it seemed to me like one would have been " up the creek without a
    paddle" installing XP SP2 onto a 40gb hd - perhaps tiz me that's missing
    something, somwhere :-)

    When I put in SP2 on my machine, a rather large chunk of my c: drive
    disappeared and a big 186 MB (195,576,011 bytes) $NtServicePackUninstall$
    appeared ! ...and that was after I'd selected "no" to "I won't want to
    uninstall it...." or whatever it was called !

    regards, Richard

    > Hi Richard,
    >
    > Why wouldn't he have been able to install it on a 40GB hard drive? Am I
    > missing something here?
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "RJK" <notatospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Hello Rick, ...how could he have installed it anyway, onto only a 40gb
    >> hd ? :-)
    >>
    >> regards, Richard
    >>

    >> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> Hit F8 at startup immediately after the POST and before WinXP begins to
    >>> load to access the boot menu and choose safe mode with command prompt.
    >>> You can then possibly uninstall SP2 by running the spuninst.exe file
    >>> under C:\Windows\$NtServicePackUninstall$\spuinst
    >>>
    >>> I can't find that Compaq model in the database, but you might want to
    >>> check with Compaq/HP support about installing SP2 as there are several
    >>> systems of thiers with known incompatibilities.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Best of Luck,

    >>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >>> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    >>> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    >>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>>
    >>> "Nigel" <jassira53@hotmail.com> wrote in message

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 00:06:01 +0100, "RJK"
    <notatospam@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >....as per http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=837783
    >....it seemed to me like one would have been " up the creek without a
    >paddle" installing XP SP2 onto a 40gb hd - perhaps tiz me that's missing
    >something, somwhere :-)
    >
    >When I put in SP2 on my machine, a rather large chunk of my c: drive
    >disappeared and a big 186 MB (195,576,011 bytes) $NtServicePackUninstall$
    >appeared ! ...and that was after I'd selected "no" to "I won't want to
    >uninstall it...." or whatever it was called !

    Richard,

    info on how to remove some of these folders can be found in
    http://www.michna.com/kb/WxSP2.htm.

    Hans-Georg

    --
    No mail, please.
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Great article. Thanks Hans-Georg.

    r.

    "Hans-Georg Michna" <hans-georgNoEmailPlease@michna.com> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 00:06:01 +0100, "RJK"
    > <notatospam@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>....as per http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=837783
    >>....it seemed to me like one would have been " up the creek without a
    >>paddle" installing XP SP2 onto a 40gb hd - perhaps tiz me that's missing
    >>something, somwhere :-)
    >>
    >>When I put in SP2 on my machine, a rather large chunk of my c: drive
    >>disappeared and a big 186 MB (195,576,011 bytes) $NtServicePackUninstall$
    >>appeared ! ...and that was after I'd selected "no" to "I won't want to
    >>uninstall it...." or whatever it was called !
    >
    > Richard,
    >
    > info on how to remove some of these folders can be found in
    > http://www.michna.com/kb/WxSP2.htm.
    >
    > Hans-Georg
    >
    > --
    > No mail, please.
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Thanks Hans.

    regards, Richard

    "Hans-Georg Michna" <hans-georgNoEmailPlease@michna.com> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 00:06:01 +0100, "RJK"
    > <notatospam@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>....as per http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=837783
    >>....it seemed to me like one would have been " up the creek without a
    >>paddle" installing XP SP2 onto a 40gb hd - perhaps tiz me that's missing
    >>something, somwhere :-)
    >>
    >>When I put in SP2 on my machine, a rather large chunk of my c: drive
    >>disappeared and a big 186 MB (195,576,011 bytes) $NtServicePackUninstall$
    >>appeared ! ...and that was after I'd selected "no" to "I won't want to
    >>uninstall it...." or whatever it was called !
    >
    > Richard,
    >
    > info on how to remove some of these folders can be found in
    > http://www.michna.com/kb/WxSP2.htm.
    >
    > Hans-Georg
    >
    > --
    > No mail, please.
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 12:16:48 -0600, "namniar" <this@that> wrote:

    >Great article. Thanks Hans-Georg.

    You're welcome. Glad you like it.

    If you like such stuff, check out the Small Network
    Troubleshooter at http://www.michna.com/kb/wxnet.htm.

    Hans-Georg

    --
    No mail, please.
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 19:49:18 +0100, "RJK"
    <notatospam@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Thanks Hans.

    Richard,

    you're welcome.

    Hans-Georg

    --
    No mail, please.

Drivers Microsoft Device Driver Windows XP