Sign in with
Your question

How concerned should I be about the Amperage Requirements?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 9, 2012 7:28:02 PM

As the title states. I purchased the following Items:
Graphics Card: 550 ti
http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-de...
PSU: 600w with 20A on the 12V rail
http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-de...

After looking on the box of the 550 ti, I see that it requires a min of 24A on the 12v.

I'm a casual gamer that built a computer from a hand me down CPU & MOBO.

Current Specs:
CPU: Phenom II X4 920
RAM: 6 GB
MOBO: Asus M3A78T

Thanks for your help.
a b U Graphics card
November 9, 2012 7:35:43 PM

That PSU has 20A on 12v1 and 20A on 12v2 meaning it's a dual rail PSU. That means, with both rails maxed out you'll receive 480W split between both rails (perfect world). The problem is that that PSU is not manufactured by a reputable company (Seasonic, Corsair, PC&P, Antec) and will most likely NOT be able to handle quality components with any degree of certainty.
m
l
a c 109 U Graphics card
a c 131 à CPUs
November 9, 2012 7:35:51 PM

You have 2 rails so as long as the combined is over what they want to see, you should be fine.

Combining is not always just adding of rails(in fact it rarely is), most power supplies list a total 12 volt amperage on the label.
m
l
Related resources
a c 105 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
November 9, 2012 7:36:05 PM

this is where too many people make mistakes. they look at the wattage and forget that they need power to run what they have. The Ultras are very poor PSU's. This one is severely under powered. You may end up with problems that might not be readily apparent.

your main components are "gas guzzlers" to begin with. it's a decent build but the PS and the video card cheapen it. my opinion.
m
l
November 9, 2012 7:42:00 PM

If the card requires both 12v rail then you're ok.
m
l
November 9, 2012 8:27:44 PM

So should I return them? I only play league of legends and watch the occasional netflix.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 9, 2012 8:36:03 PM

The video card is fine. Use it. That PSU is, well, sketchy to say the least.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 9, 2012 8:43:27 PM

The 7850 1gb is a good card except that at 1920x1080 it's 1gb becomes a bottleneck once you hit High / Ultra settings on modern games (see THIS review). You likely won't be trying to push that resolution / quality with your current PC you will be perfectly fine.

On a side note, you'll still need a different PSU, even more so with a 7850
m
l
a c 255 U Graphics card
a c 227 à CPUs
November 9, 2012 8:45:11 PM

Quote:
Well I'm ready to return the 550ti and pick up this 7850: http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-de...

and this power supply: http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-de...

How do you feel about this set up?

Thermaltake is just as bad as Ultra. Stick with Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling, XFX, Silverstone, Enermax, OCZ, Antec or Rosewill.

You only need a 450w unit for an HD 7850.

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
November 9, 2012 8:46:24 PM

Buy this PSU: http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-de...
It's made by Seasonic, I run the bigger 750w and it's very nice. 550w will be enough and still give you enough room to feel comfortable. It's always better to have more power so I would maybe look at the 850w too. It's an extra $40 but with that much power and the 5 year warranty, you won't ever need anything else for those five years.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 9, 2012 8:52:03 PM

mace200200 said:
Buy this PSU: http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-de...
It's made by Seasonic, I run the bigger 750w and it's very nice. 550w will be enough and still give you enough room to feel comfortable. It's always better to have more power so I would maybe look at the 850w too. It's an extra $40 but with that much power and the 5 year warranty, you won't ever need anything else for those five years.

+1
m
l
a c 105 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
November 9, 2012 8:54:15 PM

I would buy a Thermaltake before i would buy an Ultra any day. No Silverstones ?

the 1080p will become a problem with the 1gig frame buffer but if you tone it down a bit and/or lower the resolution to another that the monitor will display when the card can't handle all that is thrown at it it should work fine........... this is with other games.....see below.

I think the second set is better than the first.

googled league of legends.......... the game has meager requirements by today's standards. the first card may be good enough but like the second one better.................... if you go with the first card please select another power supply. I had one, and I mean only ONE Ultra, and I've been buying for over 10 years.... had some junk in my time and know what manufacturers rip you off over rebates.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
November 9, 2012 9:13:00 PM

From what I've heard SilverStone is more revered for their cases, not their PSU's. That XFX is really a good deal, for either the 550w or 850w. I actually paid $110 for my 750w from Tiger Direct in the summer, minus the $25 rebate.
m
l
a c 105 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
November 9, 2012 9:45:14 PM

mace200200 said:
From what I've heard SilverStone is more revered for their cases, not their PSU's. That XFX is really a good deal, for either the 550w or 850w. I actually paid $110 for my 750w from Tiger Direct in the summer, minus the $25 rebate.

you've been misinformed about the PSU's.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
November 9, 2012 10:10:05 PM

The best place to go for psu info is RealHardTech.com's psu review database.
m
l
November 9, 2012 11:42:09 PM

I have a MSI 7870 OCed to 1250/1400 @ 1.2999V on a Cosair TX-750 Enthusiast series 2.

IMO you should calc the 70% mark for your 12v's watt and amp. Especially for shady PSUs. Staying under 70% max power should ensure a shady PSU from going pop.

tip: Some PSUs have multiple 12v rails but some arn't true multiple rails. You need to do your research.
m
l
a c 84 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
November 10, 2012 12:00:58 AM

anort3 said:
Stick with ... ... Rosewill.
wait what? Are Rosewills considered good nowadays? :??: 
m
l
a c 109 U Graphics card
a c 131 à CPUs
November 10, 2012 12:32:39 AM

Kari said:

Some of the new stuff gets good reviews.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
November 10, 2012 12:36:53 AM

Higher end Rosewill psus are not cheap.They are made by Super Flower. They have receive some good reviews.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 10, 2012 12:42:04 AM

Check out this new review by Hardware Secrets where they tear down the Rosewill SilentNight 500W (hey, I didn't choose the name, I just linked the review). Rosewill's moving up. Their cases are a lot better than people give them credit for too.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
November 10, 2012 12:56:36 AM

I've always liked Rosewill cases, and they're 80mm fans are like $3 a piece. I have one plugged into my PSU so it's always on full power and I've had it for almost a year now, still working. Their PSU's are like CoolerMasters, they have some good lines you just have to look them up before buying anything from them.
m
l
November 10, 2012 1:13:13 AM

If you have already got the power supply, show us the UL listing number and maybe we can see who designed and made the PSU. looks like the ultra company is just a shell owned by Streak which looks kind of like a holding company that holds like ten other companies I have never heard of. Kind of easy to dump customers by sending your cash to your holding company and just close your operations when the devices go bad or people actually want to get the promised rebate. I don't know if this is a bad company -- it is just a thought of caution.
m
l
a c 255 U Graphics card
a c 227 à CPUs
November 10, 2012 1:58:39 AM

Kari said:

Yeah surprisingly they are. The Super Flower made Capstone series is very good especially considering they are among the cheapest 80 Plus Gold units you can buy. Even their ATNG and Sirtec made units are mostly quite good. They have come a long way in the last couple of years. I would still avoid the low end Solytech made units though.

Speaking of quality power supplies looks like Corsair is moving down in the world. The new TX units are made by Chicony Power Technology ( HiPro ) and it's looking like they are using cheap made in China caps in them. According to the jonnyguru forums there should be some reviews out in a few weeks. It sucks seeing them go downhill in the mid grade segment. At least the new Flextronics made AXi series is making up for it. Hardwaresecrets just tested the AXi 760 and called it the best PSU they have ever reviewed.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Corsair-AX760i-P...
m
l
a c 255 U Graphics card
a c 227 à CPUs
November 10, 2012 2:37:03 AM

ern88 said:
I have a PC power cooling Silencer 610 it has a singe large 12v rail. I just bought a new sapphire HD7950 vapor-x card and it works great with my PSU . Here s the specs of the PSU. should I be worried? http://www.pcpower.com/power-supply/silencer-610-eps12v...

^ Excellent power supply and plenty of power for your system. You could probably get away with running 2 x HD 7950s with it although I would not advise it.
m
l
November 10, 2012 3:07:33 AM

anort3 said:
^ Excellent power supply and plenty of power for your system. You could probably get away with running 2 x HD 7950s with it although I would not advise it.

Thanks man. I had for a while now. But it has been working great.
m
l
!