Need help replacing my graphics card for around 200$

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
Hey there,

2 concerns before we start:
1. You will need to replace your power supply in order to run a new $200 graphic card. This will run you ~$40.

2. This is kind of an old PC to put a $200 graphic card in. The processor and other parts will not be able to take advantage of that kind of power.

So, do you want to get a lower end graphic card that works with what you have got -- or do you want to get a really good graphic card that will move to your next PC when you upgrade and be fully utilized there?

EDIT: I found the HP link with more detailed info -
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01469329&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=3747345

The 460w power supply is actually good enough to run a decent card. If you go for a lower priced card option then its probably ok.

Your 9800GTX needs a 450w psu with 2 6-pin connectors. You should have at least that already on your current pc.
Fortunately, that is strong enough to support a card as strong as a GTX660 or 7850.
Both are near your $200 budget.

With a GTX660, you can just swap the cards, since they will use the same drivers.

If you prefer AMD, you will have to uninstall and clean up the nvidia drivers before instaling the new amd drivers.
Not that hard, but an extra step.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
(Note for OP: I dont disagree with above - Its true that few modern cards use as much energy as a 9800GTX, but HP is also known for crappy power supplies -- that's why I didn't want to risk it with good card)

@geofelt Hes got a AMD Phenom X4 9850 / 2.5 GHz in there with DDR2. Seems like a huge waste to put a GTX 660 in there with it.

Perhaps.
But the 9800GTX is still a decent card.
If you don't jump several tiers in capability, you will be disappointed if you don't see significant benefits.
The OP's budget puts the upgrade into GTX660/7850 territory.

And, most games are limited more by the graphics card than the cpu.
At the least, he should get better minimum frame rates, and the opportunity to select more eye candy.

breadandstuff

Honorable
Nov 9, 2012
I'm actually running a HD 6770 at the moment since my old video card died, unfortunately this one is also starting to crash and give strange artifacts. I would like to get a card that is a little future proof so I can move it to my next machine when I am ready. I am able to spend up to 250$ tax and shipping included. There are so many options for cards I just wanted to know a good solid card for around that price. Thanks again!

deadlockedworld

Distinguished

Two cards in a row with problems? Maybe there is a reason. I'm still worried about that power supply.

The 7870 above is a good deal.