LAN dissconnecting after access point is connected

chewbakaats58

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011
Hello All,

I have a very interesting problem, that I cannot figure out at all after trying test after test. The problem in a nutshell:

I connect a wireless access point to our network and within 10-15 minutes any wired LAN users internet connection goes down, yet the wireless internet works fine.

Here is how our small business network is setup:

1. We have a Server 2000 that serves as our companies domain controller and DHCP (I know, I know..dated). We also have another server on our network, which is a Server 2003, which is primarily a backup domain to our Server 2000 and hosts Quickbooks that our employees use and a small intranet website via ISS. We are connected to a router from our ISP with a gateway IP of 192.168.1.2. Our ip address structure is 192.168.1.xxx and subnet is 255.255.255.0.
2. I have configured the AP to be just that, an access point to broadcast wirelessly and made sure that DHCP is turned off on the router. I set it to a static ip of 192.168.1.215 and subnet of 255.255.255.0 and our default gateway of 192.168.1.2. Once I connect it, everything works fine for about 20-30 minutes, then our LAN internet goes down. The Wireless G access point that I am using is a TP-Link Model TL-WA501G.

My question is, how does the WAP know that our server is the DHCP? And are the wired LAN people getting disconnected because of a DHCP fighting issue between the WAP and our server 2000? I'm not a network engineer but know enough, but this problem is really baffling me. Thanks for any help!

chewbakaats58

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011

No, it is very simple and does not have a dhcp forwarding option. You can set it as it's own DHCP, but i'm guessing we would want to avoid that. Just curious why it is locking up internet connection.