AMD 6950 monitor going black

silvernexus

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
So I just updated from the 12.8 Drivers to the 12.10 drivers for my AMD Radeon 6950. My second monitor has taken to flickering and going black for what I can tell, no reason at all. It'll flicker a few times and then go black. Some times it doesn't happen at all for hours on end. I have rolled the drivers back but that doesn't seem to fix the problem either.

Powering off the monitor and then turning it back on remedies the issue. It does seem to be doing more while I am watching netflix or playing a game. I've tried switching the DVI plugs out, and even unplugged it from the power strip and plugged it back in.

So is my monitor dying? Or is this some fluke issue, because it was just fine a couple days ago.

silvernexus

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
No, I stopped using the overclocking for the 6950 when I stopped playing some of the games that needed the extra power. Just running on a stock clock now.

I think the monitor is just going dead. It is 8 years old so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. It's like... one of Sony's first 17" LCD's.