Sign in with
Your question

Router question

Last response: in Networking
December 16, 2011 1:40:08 AM

Hi im thinking of getting a new router for my house. We do alot of hd streaming and gaming and i want to upgrade my old netgear g router. I have a 35mb/s dl connection when i plug straight into my router and i only get about 15 mb/s on my wireless n laptop and other n devices. I was wondering if i were to get a wireless new router, probally this (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/NETGEAR+-+N600+Wireless-N+D...) will i finally get my 35 mb/s or close to it on wireless or will i still be getting 15 mb/s? Thanks.

Edit i also have this modem :
Motorola Surfboard SB6120 Cable Modem - DOCSIS 3.0
(http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/ite...)

More about : router question

a c 80 F Wireless
December 17, 2011 2:25:55 PM

what speed do you get when you plug straight into the modem?

did you turn off the modem before you connected the router? When ever you change the device connected to the modem you need to reboot the modem.
m
l
December 17, 2011 4:27:46 PM

Emerald said:
what speed do you get when you plug straight into the modem?

did you turn off the modem before you connected the router? When ever you change the device connected to the modem you need to reboot the modem.

I get the same speed plugged straight into the modem and yes i did turn off the modem before i connected the router.
m
l
Related resources
a c 80 F Wireless
December 17, 2011 4:35:55 PM

what is the speed on www.speedtest.net?

have you talked to your ISP?

I don't think it is your hardware
m
l
December 17, 2011 9:51:33 PM

Emerald said:
what is the speed on www.speedtest.net?

have you talked to your ISP?

I don't think it is your hardware

Yes i have talked to my ISP and i pay for the 30mb/s plan and we get 35 mb/s plugged into the router and 35mb/s plugged into the modem as well. But while on wifi i only get 15 mb/s. I was wondering if a new better router like the one i posted before would get me better speeds or not.
m
l
a c 80 F Wireless
December 18, 2011 1:21:12 AM

if all of the wireless devices only get 15Mb/s, changing your router should help since a N-wireless network has further reach then the G-wireless. However G-wireless devices will probably see no improvement

m
l
!