Sign in with
Your question

New Build - MoBo impact on gaming? worth high end Z77/Z79?

Last response: in Systems
December 27, 2012 10:22:45 AM

Hey guys,

So in researching my new build, ive gotten stuck on motherboards. Heres my build so far

CPU - i7 3770k (gaming + other activities)
GPU - Asus 2g GTX680OC GTX680 DC20 2GDS (No SLI just one card)
RAM - Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) 1600MHz CL9 Vengeance CMZ16GX3
SSD - Samsung 256gb 830 Series

As far as motherboards, im trying to pick from a few:

Mid range
ASRock Extreme 6
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H
Asus P8Z77-V-Pro LGA115

High end
Asus P9X79-LE Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH

My questions are:

Ive heard that a bad motherboard choice can sacrifice the power of your CPU/GPU combo (makes sense to me) so its worth investing in a decent Motherboard. Is there a point to going for a high end Z77 as opposed to a mid range Z77?

My second question is do Z79 boards run Ivy Bridge (ive done research but it seems like they do run some??) and if so is there a performance improvement over Z77 boards?

Otherwise it seems like im picking a board based on similar performance, which sockets im looking for (im likely not going to overclock so not worried about headers etc) and maybe the bonus of onboard static cooling? (but again i guess if im not overclocking that shouldnt be a problem).

Cheers guys!

Nesh
December 27, 2012 10:38:12 AM

No, mobo does not impact gaming. No, high end boards aren't worth it except for very rare cases and no, an X79 board won't work with the CPU you've chosen.

Furthermore, your CPU/GPU choice isn't the best IMO - too expensive for little benefit.
December 27, 2012 10:48:32 AM

So for motherboard choice im leaning towards the Extreme 6 if going for the mid range it seems to be a nice board, though theres quite abit of asus vs asrock chatter on the reviews ive checked out.

As far as my CPU/GPU choice:
CPU - Gaming but i went i7 for my non-gaming interests as well including research analysis work and digital art
GPU - I was tossing up between the radeon and the geforce. I went the Geforce because even though the radeon came up first in many of the benchmarks, a few that it fell behind in it REALLY fell behind in (ie. Borderlands 2). Id rather the slightly weaker but more consistent card across the board.
Cost - Ive decided that my "sweet spot" is near the top of the food chain but before the huge magnifier in cost (ie the 680-690 jump is too much, but id rather a 680 than a 670).
Related resources
December 27, 2012 10:59:43 AM

You shouldn't waste your money on the Extreme6 if you're not even planning to overclock or SLI. Even if you did, there's still the Extreme4. Just get a cheaper board, it will make absolutely no difference. On the same note, you can get the non-K CPU since you're not overclocking.

I'm just saying the 680 isn't worth what they're asking for it.
December 27, 2012 11:05:59 AM

thats a good point with the 3770k/3770. and totally see what you mean with the 680. I figure im not going to overclock because im also going for a really quiet build and scared of melting my CPU :p 
!