Which PSU do I need for my new build?

IceColdLemon

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
Hello ;]

Im planning on upgrading my current pc components and I guess it'll be a big jump in both price and quality.
But anywho, the components i'm looking to change are the motherboard, graphics card and the processor and possibly the psu.

Mother board ; Asus Sabertooth 990FX Socket AM3+

Processor -AMD CPU FX Series 6100 Black Edition Six Core Processor Bulldozer

Graphics Card - XFX Radeon HD 7870 Core Edition AMD Graphics Card - 2GB

Now, my current psu is a 500w and im worried that it won't be enough for the above components to play games on the ultra settings / high. My friend has warned me that they could burn with the 500w psu.

So finally my question to you guys is; will the 500w psu be enough? Or should i in fact upgrade it to a higher such as 700w. I've got a Coolermaster PSU 700W GX Lite in mind.

(i'm from the UK btw)

Thanks for reading ;]

butremor

Honorable
Oct 23, 2012
Actually, even your current psu can be enough if its good manufacturer and has 80 plus quality. But if you're nor sure get a quality PSU from Antec, Seasonic, XFX, Corsair or PC Power and Cooling, Silverstone. 550w at least 80 plus bronze

Would depend on the quality and specific model if it can handle all that.

The fact the PSU came with the case isnt a good sign. Is there any brand names or product numbers on it? Also what brand is the case?

IceColdLemon

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012

Nope i checked the PSU and is some cheap £15 so i guess i'll definitely have to invest in a new PSU. By the way, are all PSU standard and would it fit my Novatech Galaxy III? Also same with the above components ANd will i need an extra fan? I've got a space for an extra 120mm.

If the case is ATX standard than any ATX PSU (which is pretty much all of them) will fit in it.
Again, if the case is ATX standard then everything should fit fine.

Given that the only fan that comes at stock is that side 120mm fan, I would say yes.

Alc4traz

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012

When I bought my new PSU I used a online PSU size calculator which worked pretty well.

Here you go:

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

Cheers