Sign in with
Your question

Help needed after upgrade

Last response: in Systems
December 27, 2012 11:09:45 AM

Didn't really know which thread to put this in so hope its alright here.

This xmas i decided to upgrade my pc for up coming games in 2013. so i got myself a new graphics card, psu (as my old one was to small) and 8g of ram. After my cousin (a pc technician at a collage) installed all my new things my system runs horrible. My new specs are

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 Black Edition 970, 3500 MHz (17.5 x 200)
PSU: OCZ ZS550W-UK ATX PSU - 550 W
Motherboard: Asus M5A87 (3 PCI, 2 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR3 DIMM, Audio, Gigabit LAN)
GPU: Sapphire Radeon 7850 2gb OC edition
System Memory: 8192 MB (DDR3-1333 DDR3 SDRAM) from crucial.co.uk
Operating System: Win7 home premium edition
Hard drive: Western Digital WD Black WD7502AAEX

After fitting all the new parts my pc seems a lot slower and has really bag mouse lag/stutter when i try even the simplest of tasks like watching a video on gametrailers.com. Just moving my mouse over this text box causes lag sometimes. However when i try playing far cry 3 i can run it at 1920x1080 and get no lag with fraps show 30-45 fps. Im running the latest drivers for my motherboard (1402), GPU (Catalyst 12.10), i've defragged my hard drive, run clean up and error check. Also ran the windows ram check which all came back fine so im starting to run out of ideas. Ive come from 4gb ram and AMD 6450 1gb with a standard PSU to my new specs and some how its worse. These were all presents for xmas so i really want to get it sorted.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

More about : needed upgrade

a b B Homebuilt system
December 27, 2012 11:44:13 AM

I cloned my ssd from another hardrive yesterday to perk it up. You can try windows "system restore" if you like to use an earlier install with less updates on it. Mine are disabled but I still update microsoft's security essentials for virus protection. You've got a software issue slowing you down. If you ever get an ssd, don't use defrag with it; it can do harm to any ssd.
m
l
December 27, 2012 12:11:40 PM

Thanks for the reply so quick. i backed up to a portable hard drive before i installed the new things so i can see about going back to that. I would never of guessed it may be software because all i have open is firefox and on the task manager i dont have loads of processes. I only have it set to download the important updates from microsoft as well.
m
l
Related resources
December 27, 2012 4:21:40 PM

I tried restoring to an older setting when I didn't have any of the new things installed. Could it be anything else because l can't see what software is using everything. Task manager say I'm only using about 2gb of ram n CPU use is never above 40% and it still has terrible lag. Would a complete format help maybe?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 27, 2012 5:15:04 PM

It might, but no guarantees. I debated that yesterday before cloning. Last few days the internet is slow; lots of folks off this week.
m
l
December 27, 2012 6:17:34 PM

I know it's nothing to do with the Internet, been sat on the Xbox most of the week and it's been fine. I was hoping that it was the ram not getting on with each other even though they are the same speed but after removing the old stuff it's still as bad
m
l
December 27, 2012 6:36:57 PM

What exactly is your RAM setup?
m
l
!