How Much Do You Think This Computer Is Worth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devoldo

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
Was simply curious how much you would pay for this computer setup. Everything installed and updated etc. I was thinking of making a craigslist post and selling this baby off for the x79 chipset with the inclusion of PCI-E 3.0 among other things.

Intel i7 980X Extreme @4.8GHz

Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler CLP0564

12Gb G.Skill PI+ Turbulence DDR3-1600 (6-8-6-20)

2 WD VelociRaptor WD 1500HLFS 150GB's (Raid 0)

2 Western Digital WD Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s

ASUS Rampage III Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional Sound Card (PCI-E x1)

Windows 7 Ultimate x64

COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel/ Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case

CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX1200 (CMPSU-1200AX) 1200W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Certified 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not going to include the video card since it will be going into my new build (EVGA GTX 680 FTW+ 4Gb). Let me know and I would appreciate it. Thanks!

JMer806

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
To be perfectly frank, I probably wouldn't pay anything for a system with a CPU that's nearly three years old.

That being said... you've got a lot of solid components that are worth easily a few hundred bucks in a package. I'd say if you were to sell it as-is you could get $500-600 for it, but this is purely off the top of my head.

You'd probably get more value by parting it out for your new build. The PSU, case, sound card, RAM (probably), and HDDs would all be great in a new system... although the velociraptors are obsolete these days due to SSDs. Still valuable as pure storage space, though.

Devoldo

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
Well I've had offers of $700-$800 for the motherboard and CPU alone. The CPU may be almost that old, but in side-by-side tests, the 980x did not fall very far behind the new competition at all. I know I'm selling it on a bottom-feeder website, but not at bottom-feeder prices.

JMer806

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
Well, think about it. Let's assume that you want to get the same or similarly-priced parts for your new rig, which is pretty reasonable.

Your RAM replacement cost (they don't seem to make that model anymore) would be $40-100, depending on how much you used and what brand. We'll say $50

2x1TB WD Caviar Black (again, your model is discontinued): $200 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136533

2x150GB WD Velociraptor: $220 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136928

Corsair AX 1200: $300 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139014

CPU Cooler (usable on socket 1155): $60 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106150

Sound Card (yours discontinued, this seems a close analogue): $180 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102033

HAF X: $180 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119225

So basically you're looking at a ~$1200 replacement cost for similar or same items that you don't have to spend. Sure, you'll probably get an SSD instead of Velociraptor, and you might want to buy new hard drives and you'll have to buy new RAM. But the case, sound card, PSU, CPU Cooler, and maybe the WD Black drives are all things you should keep, because they're expensive to replace.

If somebody made you an offer of $700 for just the CPU and MOBO, then take that in a second, because it conveniently gets rid of the parts of your system that you should be replacing. Throw in the Velociraptors and WD Blacks for $200 more ;) and use the money to fix up your new rig.

Devoldo

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
Well +\- $1200 seems reasonable compared to the previous post you made. That was generally the amount I was going to take.

The thing is, I'm probably going to be selling this to someone that doesn't really know anything about computers. It'll most likely be a kid with some money from Christmas who wants a gaming PC without researching and etc. and having a friend or whatnot build it for them. Hence why the price would be justified by selling the computer whole since it would be more convenient for the buyer. Obviously convenience is a huge selling point on places like craigslist. Set it and forget it so-to-speak.

I don't care about the raptors, I'm throwing those in free, they score a 6.4 in the Windows Experience Index which is at least a step above the usual 5.7 for a standard mechanical hard drive.

JMer806

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012

$1200 is what the component replacement cost would be. Only a fool would pay $2000 for a 3 year old system, which is why I think your components are better recycled.

Devoldo

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012

And a fool and his money are easily parted. The entire system is not 3 years old... Far from it. I've been replacing parts every couple of months. The wear and tear on a system like this is nothing compared to some useless Dell that is ignored and filled up with dust only to overheat and die a horrible agonizing death. You assume because of the stupid depreciation value on electronics that this system would be worth a measly $600 is absurd. I understand its your opinion, but you might think used is much worse than new (or refurbished which 89% is used and abused), while others may not share such a drastic view on slightly used components.

You're basing your value on age, while I'm basing it on performance. Longevity of components which are the flagship models of each company, hence lasting much longer than standard components bought around the same time.

chugot9218

Honorable
I wouldn't pay more than 700 bucks for that, but parted out you could maybe get more. I highly doubt you received an offer of 7-800 for the MOBO and CPU alone, and if you did, you were a fool not to take it. Also I find it unethical to scam someone into buying inferior parts for inflated prices.

Devoldo

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012

I see nothing inferior about any of the parts listed. Only two of them are no longer being sold and when I had two GTX 480's in the system, the 3dmark 11 score on extreme was 9730. I don't see anything wrong with that. At all. Show me where the specs of the new processors are so much ahead of this processor, because apparently I'm not seeing it aside from the model numbering :lol:

Devoldo

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012

Haha, shush dmax. I just love how people think newer is automatically better. Damn fanboys and their lack of research. Oh well, opinions are opinions, but its people like this that drive used component prices down so much to the point where reselling is almost like throwing money out the window. Just sad that electronics depreciation derive from people with this exact mindset. Oh well. Oh and Chugot, I'll send you the 4 emails I got for interest in the CPU and MOBO combo at the $800 price.

JMer806

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012

If you've been replacing parts so frequently, why is it that none of your hard drives, your RAM, your sound card, and your CPU are still manufactured? Sure, the HDDs (of both kinds) have been replaced with identical newer models, but those models have been out for more than a year. So what exactly have you replaced or updated, aside from your GPU which you've not listed?

Again, 3 years old is not "slightly used" in the realm of PC components. Even brand new in-box that's verging on obsolete, ESPECIALLY at the price you think you that you can get for this. The same chip goes for $400-500 on ebay, btw.

I'm happy that your computer has performed so well for you. But it's dishonest and, as said, unethical for you to pawn it off to somebody who doesn't know anything about computers based on your say-so when their money would be much better spent on a system that would actually suit their needs.

And since I'm on this note, if you're trying to market it as a gaming PC then you're being just as dishonest as Dell. An i5 3570k is just as good a gaming chip as the i7extreme you've got in yours at 1/5th the price (of a new one).

I agree 100%.

So if your rig is so awesome and your older components are just as good as newer ones, why are you replacing them?

chugot9218

Honorable
^^ word. Once you take a component out of the box you instantly lose a decent chunk of value, and I would also remove a large chunk of value per year, leaving you with parts not worth very much... I was conservative with a 700$ estimate. Anyone with any sense would worry what has happened with those components, why spend that much when something could blow on you and you have no warranty. And I have seen plenty of sub 1000$ builds on here this month alone with brand new Ivy cpu's and pretty good GPUs. As I said, you can find someone uninformed to buy it but I think that is pretty shoddy.

Devoldo

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012

I am only replacing them as to build a computer entirely from scratch again. I am ordering the same case, power supply, hard drives (with the exception of the raptors) and similar sound card and upgrading to take advantage of PCI-E 3.0 . That is the real reason to upgrade and only reason right now. I have money to burn and truth be told, I don't care if the PC sells or not since I can use it to compress stream data while streaming to twitch.tv . My biggest gripe about this entire thread has been the extreme low-ball glancing value you have spat at me for the components all wrapped up into one item. Its so far from others opinions and its spiked my curiosity as to why you think that price is "unethical".

ittimjones

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2012
technology dude...

2 years ago, my new iPhone 4 cost me $300. Now u can get it for $0.01.

That's 30,000 times cheaper...

it's a used PC, and I think $700-$900 is fair.

chugot9218

Honorable
Well I don't know where the information for the other opinions came from, I just offered my opinion with information I have learned trolling this forum for the past year, I didn't just fabricate it in my head to insult you. Sell it for whatever you want, you wanted opinions and you got em, I just always think how crappy it would be if someone ripped off one of my cousins or something, I'd be pissed.

Devoldo

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
Alright well theres at least 3 here that have that opinion now. Either tomshardware.com is all bottom-feeders, or every other person I run into that has a true unbiased value on the computer is wrong. Hmm.

Funny how xbox and PS3 all run 5-6 year old hardware give or take, but their resale value is at least a value. No wonder everyone praises consoles, because silly people like you guys lower the value so badly on PC hardware. Better off buying a Jaguar, at least I know the depreciation on that is bad. When people start saying "technology dude" its like a sheep saying "Baaa" . It doesn't need to be the way it is now, but you guys are making it stay that way. Hurray for sheeple I suppose.

Oh well, I'll list it as $1100 and see if I get any bites. They can pick the ****ing thing up since its not worth it to drive apparently.

dmax101010

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012

Haha, Just trolling ya buddy. See ya in ts in a few.

chugot9218

Honorable

Your really cool dude, I am so upset I don't know you in real life....

Devoldo

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012

The feeling is mutual, beyond words.

Status
Not open for further replies.