Sign in with
Your question
Closed

How Much Do You Think This Computer Is Worth?

Last response: in Systems
December 27, 2012 11:19:01 AM

Was simply curious how much you would pay for this computer setup. Everything installed and updated etc. I was thinking of making a craigslist post and selling this baby off for the x79 chipset with the inclusion of PCI-E 3.0 among other things.

Intel i7 980X Extreme @4.8GHz

Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler CLP0564

12Gb G.Skill PI+ Turbulence DDR3-1600 (6-8-6-20)

2 WD VelociRaptor WD 1500HLFS 150GB's (Raid 0)

2 Western Digital WD Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s

ASUS Rampage III Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional Sound Card (PCI-E x1)

Windows 7 Ultimate x64

COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel/ Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case

CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX1200 (CMPSU-1200AX) 1200W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Certified 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not going to include the video card since it will be going into my new build (EVGA GTX 680 FTW+ 4Gb). Let me know and I would appreciate it. Thanks!

More about : computer worth

December 27, 2012 11:23:52 AM

i giv u ten dolla.

deal?
a b B Homebuilt system
December 27, 2012 11:26:20 AM

To be perfectly frank, I probably wouldn't pay anything for a system with a CPU that's nearly three years old.

That being said... you've got a lot of solid components that are worth easily a few hundred bucks in a package. I'd say if you were to sell it as-is you could get $500-600 for it, but this is purely off the top of my head.

You'd probably get more value by parting it out for your new build. The PSU, case, sound card, RAM (probably), and HDDs would all be great in a new system... although the velociraptors are obsolete these days due to SSDs. Still valuable as pure storage space, though.
Related resources
December 27, 2012 11:29:25 AM

Well I've had offers of $700-$800 for the motherboard and CPU alone. The CPU may be almost that old, but in side-by-side tests, the 980x did not fall very far behind the new competition at all. I know I'm selling it on a bottom-feeder website, but not at bottom-feeder prices.
a b B Homebuilt system
December 27, 2012 11:49:04 AM

Well, think about it. Let's assume that you want to get the same or similarly-priced parts for your new rig, which is pretty reasonable.

Your RAM replacement cost (they don't seem to make that model anymore) would be $40-100, depending on how much you used and what brand. We'll say $50

2x1TB WD Caviar Black (again, your model is discontinued): $200 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

2x150GB WD Velociraptor: $220 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Corsair AX 1200: $300 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CPU Cooler (usable on socket 1155): $60 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Sound Card (yours discontinued, this seems a close analogue): $180 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

HAF X: $180 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

So basically you're looking at a ~$1200 replacement cost for similar or same items that you don't have to spend. Sure, you'll probably get an SSD instead of Velociraptor, and you might want to buy new hard drives and you'll have to buy new RAM. But the case, sound card, PSU, CPU Cooler, and maybe the WD Black drives are all things you should keep, because they're expensive to replace.

If somebody made you an offer of $700 for just the CPU and MOBO, then take that in a second, because it conveniently gets rid of the parts of your system that you should be replacing. Throw in the Velociraptors and WD Blacks for $200 more ;)  and use the money to fix up your new rig.
December 27, 2012 12:01:35 PM

Well +\- $1200 seems reasonable compared to the previous post you made. That was generally the amount I was going to take.

The thing is, I'm probably going to be selling this to someone that doesn't really know anything about computers. It'll most likely be a kid with some money from Christmas who wants a gaming PC without researching and etc. and having a friend or whatnot build it for them. Hence why the price would be justified by selling the computer whole since it would be more convenient for the buyer. Obviously convenience is a huge selling point on places like craigslist. Set it and forget it so-to-speak.

I don't care about the raptors, I'm throwing those in free, they score a 6.4 in the Windows Experience Index which is at least a step above the usual 5.7 for a standard mechanical hard drive.
a b B Homebuilt system
December 27, 2012 12:08:44 PM

Devoldo said:
Well +\- $1200 seems reasonable compared to the previous post you made. That was generally the amount I was going to take.

The thing is, I'm probably going to be selling this to someone that doesn't really know anything about computers. It'll most likely be a kid with some money from Christmas who wants a gaming PC without researching and etc. and having a friend or whatnot build it for them. Hence why the price would be justified by selling the computer whole since it would be more convenient for the buyer. Obviously convenience is a huge selling point on places like craigslist. Set it and forget it so-to-speak.

I don't care about the raptors, I'm throwing those in free, they score a 6.4 in the Windows Experience Index which is at least a step above the usual 5.7 for a standard mechanical hard drive.

$1200 is what the component replacement cost would be. Only a fool would pay $2000 for a 3 year old system, which is why I think your components are better recycled.
December 27, 2012 12:17:30 PM

JMer806 said:
$1200 is what the component replacement cost would be. Only a fool would pay $2000 for a 3 year old system, which is why I think your components are better recycled.

And a fool and his money are easily parted. The entire system is not 3 years old... Far from it. I've been replacing parts every couple of months. The wear and tear on a system like this is nothing compared to some useless Dell that is ignored and filled up with dust only to overheat and die a horrible agonizing death. You assume because of the stupid depreciation value on electronics that this system would be worth a measly $600 is absurd. I understand its your opinion, but you might think used is much worse than new (or refurbished which 89% is used and abused), while others may not share such a drastic view on slightly used components.

You're basing your value on age, while I'm basing it on performance. Longevity of components which are the flagship models of each company, hence lasting much longer than standard components bought around the same time.
a b B Homebuilt system
December 27, 2012 12:18:27 PM

I wouldn't pay more than 700 bucks for that, but parted out you could maybe get more. I highly doubt you received an offer of 7-800 for the MOBO and CPU alone, and if you did, you were a fool not to take it. Also I find it unethical to scam someone into buying inferior parts for inflated prices.
December 27, 2012 12:23:59 PM

chugot9218 said:
I wouldn't pay more than 700 bucks for that, but parted out you could maybe get more. I highly doubt you received an offer of 7-800 for the MOBO and CPU alone, and if you did, you were a fool not to take it. Also I find it unethical to scam someone into buying inferior parts for inflated prices.

I see nothing inferior about any of the parts listed. Only two of them are no longer being sold and when I had two GTX 480's in the system, the 3dmark 11 score on extreme was 9730. I don't see anything wrong with that. At all. Show me where the specs of the new processors are so much ahead of this processor, because apparently I'm not seeing it aside from the model numbering :lol: 
December 27, 2012 12:27:13 PM

once again, i give you 15 dolla for it.
deal or no deal?

:p 
December 27, 2012 12:36:01 PM

dmax101010 said:
once again, i give you 15 dolla for it.
deal or no deal?

:p 

Haha, shush dmax. I just love how people think newer is automatically better. Damn fanboys and their lack of research. Oh well, opinions are opinions, but its people like this that drive used component prices down so much to the point where reselling is almost like throwing money out the window. Just sad that electronics depreciation derive from people with this exact mindset. Oh well. Oh and Chugot, I'll send you the 4 emails I got for interest in the CPU and MOBO combo at the $800 price.
a b B Homebuilt system
December 27, 2012 12:45:17 PM

Devoldo said:
And a fool and his money are easily parted. The entire system is not 3 years old... Far from it. I've been replacing parts every couple of months. The wear and tear on a system like this is nothing compared to some useless Dell that is ignored and filled up with dust only to overheat and die a horrible agonizing death. You assume because of the stupid depreciation value on electronics that this system would be worth a measly $600 is absurd. I understand its your opinion, but you might think used is much worse than new (or refurbished which 89% is used and abused), while others may not share such a drastic view on slightly used components.

You're basing your value on age, while I'm basing it on performance. Longevity of components which are the flagship models of each company, hence lasting much longer than standard components bought around the same time.

If you've been replacing parts so frequently, why is it that none of your hard drives, your RAM, your sound card, and your CPU are still manufactured? Sure, the HDDs (of both kinds) have been replaced with identical newer models, but those models have been out for more than a year. So what exactly have you replaced or updated, aside from your GPU which you've not listed?

Again, 3 years old is not "slightly used" in the realm of PC components. Even brand new in-box that's verging on obsolete, ESPECIALLY at the price you think you that you can get for this. The same chip goes for $400-500 on ebay, btw.

I'm happy that your computer has performed so well for you. But it's dishonest and, as said, unethical for you to pawn it off to somebody who doesn't know anything about computers based on your say-so when their money would be much better spent on a system that would actually suit their needs.

And since I'm on this note, if you're trying to market it as a gaming PC then you're being just as dishonest as Dell. An i5 3570k is just as good a gaming chip as the i7extreme you've got in yours at 1/5th the price (of a new one).

chugot9218 said:

I agree 100%.

Devoldo said:
Haha, shush dmax. I just love how people think newer is automatically better. Damn fanboys and their lack of research. Oh well, opinions are opinions, but its people like this that drive used component prices down so much to the point where reselling is almost like throwing money out the window. Just sad that electronics depreciation derive from people with this exact mindset. Oh well. Oh and Chugot, I'll send you the 4 emails I got for interest in the CPU and MOBO combo at the $800 price.

So if your rig is so awesome and your older components are just as good as newer ones, why are you replacing them?
a b B Homebuilt system
December 27, 2012 1:02:32 PM

^^ word. Once you take a component out of the box you instantly lose a decent chunk of value, and I would also remove a large chunk of value per year, leaving you with parts not worth very much... I was conservative with a 700$ estimate. Anyone with any sense would worry what has happened with those components, why spend that much when something could blow on you and you have no warranty. And I have seen plenty of sub 1000$ builds on here this month alone with brand new Ivy cpu's and pretty good GPUs. As I said, you can find someone uninformed to buy it but I think that is pretty shoddy.
December 27, 2012 1:12:13 PM

JMer806 said:
If you've been replacing parts so frequently, why is it that none of your hard drives, your RAM, your sound card, and your CPU are still manufactured? Sure, the HDDs (of both kinds) have been replaced with identical newer models, but those models have been out for more than a year. So what exactly have you replaced or updated, aside from your GPU which you've not listed?

the case, which is 4 months old, the sound card which is 7 months old, the power supply, which is 2 months old, the heat-sink, which is 5 months old, and the video cards, which have been sold...

Again, 3 years old is not "slightly used" in the realm of PC components. Even brand new in-box that's verging on obsolete, ESPECIALLY at the price you think you that you can get for this. The same chip goes for $400-500 on ebay, btw.

Which is what I was asking initially with the motherboard $650-$800... Therefore that was right on the money which makes your previous argument invalid since you said the entire system is only worth a meek $700... I travel for a living. I do not use my computer more than 15 hours a week. All of these things have been taken into consideration before selling this computer.

I'm happy that your computer has performed so well for you. But it's dishonest and, as said, unethical for you to pawn it off to somebody who doesn't know anything about computers based on your say-so when their money would be much better spent on a system that would actually suit their needs.

Yeah, and company's like Dell and etc. don't charge $800+ just for the name. Not to mention Alienware, cyberpower, etc. do the exact same thing. Did I mention I was offering tech support for this computer in a 100 mile radius of where I live? Again, hence why I was asking opinons on here and a few other sites about the worth of the computer as to not be dishonest when selling this computer. You and Chugot are the only ones so far that have been so far off from the actual worth of the computer that its almost laughable.

And since I'm on this note, if you're trying to market it as a gaming PC then you're being just as dishonest as Dell. An i5 3570k is just as good a gaming chip as the i7extreme you've got in yours at 1/5th the price (of a new one).

I agree 100%.

So if your rig is so awesome and your older components are just as good as newer ones, why are you replacing them?

I am only replacing them as to build a computer entirely from scratch again. I am ordering the same case, power supply, hard drives (with the exception of the raptors) and similar sound card and upgrading to take advantage of PCI-E 3.0 . That is the real reason to upgrade and only reason right now. I have money to burn and truth be told, I don't care if the PC sells or not since I can use it to compress stream data while streaming to twitch.tv . My biggest gripe about this entire thread has been the extreme low-ball glancing value you have spat at me for the components all wrapped up into one item. Its so far from others opinions and its spiked my curiosity as to why you think that price is "unethical".
December 27, 2012 1:21:59 PM

If you pay the same amount for a new pc now at least you can upgrade the cpu later on if you need to.
December 27, 2012 1:33:02 PM

technology dude...

2 years ago, my new iPhone 4 cost me $300. Now u can get it for $0.01.

That's 30,000 times cheaper...

it's a used PC, and I think $700-$900 is fair.
a b B Homebuilt system
December 27, 2012 1:40:26 PM

Well I don't know where the information for the other opinions came from, I just offered my opinion with information I have learned trolling this forum for the past year, I didn't just fabricate it in my head to insult you. Sell it for whatever you want, you wanted opinions and you got em, I just always think how crappy it would be if someone ripped off one of my cousins or something, I'd be pissed.
December 27, 2012 1:43:42 PM

Alright well theres at least 3 here that have that opinion now. Either tomshardware.com is all bottom-feeders, or every other person I run into that has a true unbiased value on the computer is wrong. Hmm.

Funny how xbox and PS3 all run 5-6 year old hardware give or take, but their resale value is at least a value. No wonder everyone praises consoles, because silly people like you guys lower the value so badly on PC hardware. Better off buying a Jaguar, at least I know the depreciation on that is bad. When people start saying "technology dude" its like a sheep saying "Baaa" . It doesn't need to be the way it is now, but you guys are making it stay that way. Hurray for sheeple I suppose.

Oh well, I'll list it as $1100 and see if I get any bites. They can pick the ****ing thing up since its not worth it to drive apparently.
December 27, 2012 1:47:33 PM

Devoldo said:

Haha, Just trolling ya buddy. See ya in ts in a few.
a b B Homebuilt system
December 27, 2012 1:53:49 PM

Devoldo said:
Alright well theres at least 3 here that have that opinion now. Either tomshardware.com is all bottom-feeders, or every other person I run into that has a true unbiased value on the computer is wrong. Hmm.

Funny how xbox and PS3 all run 5-6 year old hardware give or take, but their resale value is at least a value. No wonder everyone praises consoles, because silly people like you guys lower the value so badly on PC hardware. Better off buying a Jaguar, at least I know the depreciation on that is bad. When people start saying "technology dude" its like a sheep saying "Baaa" . It doesn't need to be the way it is now, but you guys are making it stay that way. Hurray for sheeple I suppose.

Oh well, I'll list it as $1100 and see if I get any bites. They can pick the ****ing thing up since its not worth it to drive apparently.

Your really cool dude, I am so upset I don't know you in real life....
December 27, 2012 1:56:40 PM

chugot9218 said:
You're really cool dude, I am so upset I don't know you in real life....

The feeling is mutual, beyond words.
a b B Homebuilt system
December 27, 2012 2:00:54 PM

Roffle glad to hear it.
a b B Homebuilt system
December 27, 2012 2:15:12 PM

I think the problem is with computers once something been used it loses a lot of it's value you will be lucky if you can find a buyer that will pay you more then $800.Good luck!
a b B Homebuilt system
December 27, 2012 2:15:39 PM

Devoldo said:

Okay, reality check time.

First, your computer is obviously worth more than $700, but you're going to have a really hard time getting a good price if it doesn't include a video card. If somebody has to go and buy parts and install them, chances are they're willing to just build the rig themselves. You're really reducing your pool of potential customers by selling it "some assembly required" and without all necessary components.

Second, and most importantly, you need to understand what it is you're selling and how that's going to impact what people are willing to pay (which may very well be less than the sum of its parts).

Yes, that was a $1k processor. Yes, that was a $350 motherboard. No, they aren't worth remotely close to that now. A $300 processor today will beat your $1k processor in literally any benchmark that isn't perfectly threaded, and those that are only favor the 980x by a few percent. There's no SSD (a must have in any high end build for the last couple years), there's very little hard drive space and most importantly of all, there's no video card. Unless the user spends another $1k-$2k on video cards, that 1200W PSU is a complete waste.

The components may be worth a fair bit on paper, but they offer phenomenally poor value to the customer across the board. Everything in your computer can be bought today for a fraction of what you paid, and in many cases the cheaper, newer versions are also faster. The single biggest draw to your system, the 980x, is also the single most dated piece of hardware and didn't have anything to offer for gaming even when it wasn't.
a b B Homebuilt system
December 27, 2012 2:25:09 PM

willard said:

First, your computer is obviously worth more than $700, but you're going to have a really hard time getting a good price if it doesn't include a video card. If somebody has to go and buy parts and install them, chances are they're willing to just build the rig themselves. You're really reducing your pool of potential customers by selling it "some assembly required" and without all necessary components.

Second, and most importantly, you need to understand what it is you're selling and how that's going to impact what people are willing to pay (which may very well be less than the sum of its parts).

Yes, that was a $1k processor. Yes, that was a $350 motherboard. No, they aren't worth remotely close to that now. A $300 processor today will beat your $1k processor in literally any benchmark that isn't perfectly threaded, and those that are only favor the 980x by a few percent. There's no SSD (a must have in any high end build for the last couple years), there's very little hard drive space and most importantly of all, there's no video card. Unless the user spends another $1k-$2k on video cards, that 1200W PSU is a complete waste.

The components may be worth a fair bit on paper, but they offer phenomenally poor value to the customer across the board. Everything in your computer can be bought today for a fraction of what you paid, and in many cases the cheaper, newer versions are also faster. The single biggest draw to your system, the 980x, is also the single most dated piece of hardware and didn't have anything to offer for gaming even when it wasn't.
+1 i agree with this.
a b B Homebuilt system
December 27, 2012 3:09:42 PM

Don't bother, we are all bottom feeders according to him, what a pr*ck.
a b B Homebuilt system
December 27, 2012 3:30:07 PM

chugot9218 said:
Don't bother, we are all bottom feeders according to him, what a pr*ck.
:ouch:  Thanks for the heads up.I missed that part. :pfff: 
December 27, 2012 5:16:58 PM

willard said:

Right. Hence why I am selling at $1200. Some people are not completely turned off by the thought of lightly used PC components that were flagship models when new. Golf-clap for thinking a newer cheaper processor will beat the 980x at everything you throw it at (I posted a link above to kill off that assumption).

I understand the value drops, no thanks to you kids that just hum-chuck your previous build to you brother's sister's boyfriend's friend and are done with it, willing to shell out more for components that only offer a 10-14% increase in speed overall. Thats great. Lovely. Glorious. Point is when you low-ball something, its easy to do, when you didn't pay the money initially and could give a flying **** about the cost of a new build with the fractional percentage of performance gain with technology 3 years newer which is retarded to begin with that prices are only dropping a few bucks with each generation.

An SSD is a must now? Huh, tell that to 50-60 people I know off the top of my head who are still holding out since the cost per Gb is way too high and the longevity hasn't even been proved. Thanks, but I'll take stability and reliability over "SPEEEED" any day.

The items I listed, with the exception of the CPU, MOBO, and Hard drives, are almost the exact same price as they were a year ago. I could say these items minus the aforementioned components have been freshly put together with love and care. But I'm not, since I am not as crooked as these other "gentlemen" think I am. I used them for 15 hours give or take a week for a year and 1/2 (6 months I was in Japan visiting friends) so I know how much these components have been used. As if that even matters considering it isn't a ****ing vehicle, only moving parts are fans and mechanical hard drives, whoop-de-do.
If you really think that a "3 year old" computer will *** the bed at any time, you need to either stop using computers as test-beds for Tesla experiments, or figure out what you or your friends are doing wrong.

We're now done talking about the value of the computer, I've been over that dead-end for quite some time... We are now talking about the depreciation in general of PC computer components and how something that is worth so much is now worth so little with only minor advances in technology made since the previous components conception. You guys need to go look up benchmarks, please. Go look up just how minor todays CPU's and Mobo's are advancing compared to things from 5 years ago. Its absolutely idiotic to even be thinking that "Oh look, my computer has the new 53443534534 extreme, what's yours have?" when a computer from 3 years ago will still stay close behind it.

Thats where my anger comes from. Stupid consumers.
a b B Homebuilt system
December 27, 2012 5:22:09 PM

Just go away, we don't like your types round here. Anyways, the CPU is still high priced because of it's rarity, only sold by one store according to PCPartPicker, and you have had it OC'd up 1.5ghz and the warranty is likely gone.

We don't need you here insulting us, if you don't like our advice go elsewhere, I don't think anyone will complain (in fact I am fairly sure they won't). Go find somewhere to bit*h with the other trolls.
a b B Homebuilt system
December 27, 2012 5:58:37 PM

Just FYI it does not matter how much YOU used it. Your buyer can't prove that. And guess what, parts don't have to move to deteriorate. Capacitors age. You've been running a high overclock and that will have hurt CPU life.

You just aren't getting it. The parts are not worth their replacement value. No one wants used harddrives. The PSU was a bad choice for your build to start and what its worth to someone who NEEDS it isn't what its worth to someone who has no use for it.

For the 1200 you want someone can get a BRAND NEW build that WILL out perform yours.it may only be 15% but its still better, brand new, has a warranty, will last longer, and part choices that actually make sense.

Take the offers on the board and CPU. Or keep it instead of chucking it like you accuse us of. Its still good for gaming. I picked GOOD parts 3 years ago, and a $100 CPU that's a quad at 3.7. still doesn't bottle neck. I am sure yours doesn't. Anyone spending a grand on a CPU that is marginally better than cheap ones KNOWS the value isn't there, sane people won't pay for it, and it won't resale well. If you don't like good advice....
December 27, 2012 6:11:54 PM

unksol said:
Just FYI it does not matter how much YOU used it. Your buyer can't prove that. And guess what, parts don't have to move to deteriorate. Capacitors age. You've been running a high overclock and that will have hurt CPU life.

You just aren't getting it. The parts are not worth their replacement value. No one wants used harddrives. The PSU was a bad choice for your build to start and what its worth to someone who NEEDS it isn't what its worth to someone who has no use for it.

For the 1200 you want someone can get a BRAND NEW build that WILL out perform yours.it may only be 15% but its still better, brand new, has a warranty, will last longer, and part choices that actually make sense.

Take the offers on the board and CPU. Or keep it instead of chucking it like you accuse us of. Its still good for gaming. I picked GOOD parts 3 years ago, and a $100 CPU that's a quad at 3.7. still doesn't bottle neck. I am sure yours doesn't. Anyone spending a grand on a CPU that is marginally better than cheap ones KNOWS the value isn't there, sane people won't pay for it, and it won't resale well. If you don't like good advice....

Right. Like I said I've already posted it. If someone wants it, its there. I'm not going to cry if I don't get what I want for it. I just won't sell it and it will sit in a closet somewhere until I donate it to charity 5+ years down the road. This forum has been the least helpful in finding out the actual worth of things. I've read other threads while here and realized there's only a certain amount of things that should be asked here. This particular question should not have.

Good luck to everyone throwing money away year after year. Glad Intel and the rest of the company have you guys by the balls.
a b B Homebuilt system
December 27, 2012 6:14:02 PM

I am glad we never have to hear from you again.
a b B Homebuilt system
December 27, 2012 6:32:52 PM

Lord its like someone saying their old car is worth what a brand new one is because it has similar HP from the owner tweaking it, even though they stripped the important part..... Lord
a b B Homebuilt system
December 27, 2012 6:35:05 PM

Devoldo said:
Some people are not completely turned off by the thought of lightly used PC components that were flagship models when new.

Three years old isn't lightly used. And it's not about the amount of usage, it's about the fact that the components are simply dated. If they were NIB they'd still be poor value.

Quote:
Golf-clap for thinking a newer cheaper processor will beat the 980x at everything you throw it at (I posted a link above to kill off that assumption).

What, you mean where you compared a processor that I not only wasn't talking about (maybe look into the 3770k?) and isn't newer than the 980x? That one? Yeah, not relevant. Why don't you look at this one instead:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/142?vs=551

Why, what is it we wee there? Is it the 980x barely beating the 3770k in perfectly threaded workloads, then losing horribly in single threaded? Why, isn't that exactly what I said it would do? Yes, yes it is!

Quote:
I understand the value drops, no thanks to you kids that just hum-chuck your previous build to you brother's sister's boyfriend's friend and are done with it, willing to shell out more for components that only offer a 10-14% increase in speed overall.

Really? I could have sworn that I've never done that. Glad you were here to point out all the things I've been doing that I simply wasn't aware of. And here I was thinking that a person I'd never met before wouldn't know anything about me. Glad you cleared that up!

Quote:
An SSD is a must now? Huh, tell that to 50-60 people I know off the top of my head who are still holding out since the cost per Gb is way too high and the longevity hasn't even been proved. Thanks, but I'll take stability and reliability over "SPEEEED" any day.

Yes, please do tell that to the 50 or 60 people you happen to have encountered on the internet who are as clueless as you when it comes to computers. My SSDs work perfectly fine, and have a far greater impact on system performance than your $1k CPU that you're so proud of. They also cost a small fraction of what the CPU did, and didn't lock me into the nearly useless LGA2011 chipset.

For reference, the fallacy you just committed is the "false dichotomy" fallacy. Look it up sometime.

Quote:
The items I listed, with the exception of the CPU, MOBO, and Hard drives, are almost the exact same price as they were a year ago.

Changes nothing, they're still poor value. There is virtually no benefit to better than dual channel memory, your PSU is beyond overkill, the motherboard locks you into the least cost effective processors of all time, the processor is barely better than a $300 processor from today and Velociraptors are strictly inferior to SSDs for a boot drive (yes, even in RAID). Talk about how expensive the components are some more, please, because that will certainly change their value proposition.

Quote:
If you really think that a "3 year old" computer will *** the bed at any time, you need to either stop using computers as test-beds for Tesla experiments, or figure out what you or your friends are doing wrong.

Where did I say that? I said it was awful value, I've not said a single thing about reliability.

Quote:
We are now talking about the depreciation in general of PC computer components and how something that is worth so much is now worth so little with only minor advances in technology made since the previous components conception.

I already explained that to you. The fact is that you spent huge amounts of money for very small performance increases that have been erased by progress. Why is this so hard to understand?

Your $1k processor isn't worth $1k because it is beaten by a $300 processor in almost all metrics.

Your $350 board isn't worth $350 because it offers nothing aside from the ability to use the processor that isn't worth using.

Your memory isn't worth its original price because standard boards only need dual channel, and triple/quad channel added next to nothing anyway.

Your PSU isn't worth its original price because, well, pretty much nobody needs a 1200W PSU (and I suspect you didn't when you built this anyway, but it's clear you're not very keen on value).

Quote:
You guys need to go look up benchmarks, please.

No, you need to go look at benchmarks that have shown your $1k processor unfavorably compared to $200-$300 chips literally for years.

Quote:
Go look up just how minor todays CPU's and Mobo's are advancing compared to things from 5 years ago.

Maybe you should have actually done that before just assuming there'd be no difference and harping on it.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/53?vs=551

Yeah, double to triple the performance is so minor.

Quote:
Its absolutely idiotic to even be thinking that "Oh look, my computer has the new 53443534534 extreme, what's yours have?" when a computer from 3 years ago will still stay close behind it.

No, what's idiotic is saying that we should pay a premium for your 3 year old computer that, by your own admission in this sentence, is slower than a modern computer. What moron would pay more for less? I'm very sorry, but computers depreciate, and when you buy the components with the worst bang for your buck in the history of computers, then that's going to bite you.

Quote:

Pot, kettle, black.

You're flipping your *** because your three year old hardware that was overpriced at launch has lost its value. I'm sorry, but how did you not see this coming three years ago? Did you really think you'd recoup a large fraction of the cost a third of a decade later? Did you think your $1k processor would be the fastest forever? Did you really expect to be able to get more for your processor than retail value of faster processors?

None of this makes sense. You're acting like a fool, insulting everyone who tries to introduce you to reality and ranting and raving about how stupid everyone else is. Maybe the problem is with you, and not with us?

Just a thought.
a b B Homebuilt system
December 27, 2012 6:36:48 PM

willard said:
Three years old isn't lightly used. And it's not about the amount of usage, it's about the fact that the components are simply dated. If they were NIB they'd still be poor value.

Quote:
Golf-clap for thinking a newer cheaper processor will beat the 980x at everything you throw it at (I posted a link above to kill off that assumption).

What, you mean where you compared a processor that I not only wasn't talking about (maybe look into the 3770k?) and isn't newer than the 980x? That one? Yeah, not relevant. Why don't you look at this one instead:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/142?vs=551

Why, what is it we wee there? Is it the 980x barely beating the 3770k in perfectly threaded workloads, then losing horribly in single threaded? Why, isn't that exactly what I said it would do? Yes, yes it is!

Quote:
I understand the value drops, no thanks to you kids that just hum-chuck your previous build to you brother's sister's boyfriend's friend and are done with it, willing to shell out more for components that only offer a 10-14% increase in speed overall.

Really? I could have sworn that I've never done that. Glad you were here to point out all the things I've been doing that I simply wasn't aware of. And here I was thinking that a person I'd never met before wouldn't know anything about me. Glad you cleared that up!

Quote:

Yes, please do tell that to the 50 or 60 people you happen to have encountered on the internet who are as clueless as you when it comes to computers. My SSDs work perfectly fine, and have a far greater impact on system performance than your $1k CPU that you're so proud of. They also cost a small fraction of what the CPU did, and didn't lock me into the nearly useless LGA2011 chipset.

For reference, the fallacy you just committed is the "false dichotomy" fallacy. Look it up sometime.

Quote:
The items I listed, with the exception of the CPU, MOBO, and Hard drives, are almost the exact same price as they were a year ago.

Changes nothing, they're still poor value. There is virtually no benefit to better than dual channel memory, your PSU is beyond overkill, the motherboard locks you into the least cost effective processors of all time, the processor is barely better than a $300 processor from today and Velociraptors are strictly inferior to SSDs for a boot drive (yes, even in RAID). Talk about how expensive the components are some more, please, because that will certainly change their value proposition.

Quote:

Where did I say that? I said it was awful value, I've not said a single thing about reliability.

Quote:
We are now talking about the depreciation in general of PC computer components and how something that is worth so much is now worth so little with only minor advances in technology made since the previous components conception.

I already explained that to you. The fact is that you spent huge amounts of money for very small performance increases that have been erased by progress. Why is this so hard to understand?

Your $1k processor isn't worth $1k because it is beaten by a $300 processor in almost all metrics.

Your $350 board isn't worth $350 because it offers nothing aside from the ability to use the processor that isn't worth using.

Your memory isn't worth its original price because standard boards only need dual channel, and triple/quad channel added next to nothing anyway.

Your PSU isn't worth its original price because, well, pretty much nobody needs a 1200W PSU (and I suspect you didn't when you built this anyway, but it's clear you're not very keen on value).

Quote:
You guys need to go look up benchmarks, please.

No, you need to go look at benchmarks that have shown your $1k processor unfavorably compared to $200-$300 chips literally for years.

Quote:
Go look up just how minor todays CPU's and Mobo's are advancing compared to things from 5 years ago.

Maybe you should have actually done that before just assuming there'd be no difference and harping on it.

Quote:
Its absolutely idiotic to even be thinking that "Oh look, my computer has the new 53443534534 extreme, what's yours have?" when a computer from 3 years ago will still stay close behind it.

No, what's idiotic is saying that we should pay a premium for your 3 year old computer that, by your own admission in this sentence, is slower than a modern computer. What moron would pay more for less? I'm very sorry, but computers depreciate, and when you buy the components with the worst bang for your buck in the history of computers, then that's going to bite you.

Quote:

Pot, kettle, black.

You're flipping your *** because your three year old hardware that was overpriced at launch has lost its value. I'm sorry, but how did you not see this coming three years ago? Did you really think you'd recoup a large fraction of the cost a third of a decade later? Did you think your $1k processor would be the fastest forever? Did you really expect to be able to get more for your processor than retail value of faster processors?

None of this makes sense. You're acting like a fool, insulting everyone who tries to introduce you to reality and ranting and raving about how stupid everyone else is. Maybe the problem is with you, and not with us?

Just a thought.
+1 Owned!! GIFSoup
a b B Homebuilt system
December 27, 2012 6:42:51 PM

Agreed, I am glad I am not the only one intolerant of jackasses on here, I am very kind and helpful to anyone who talks with a modicum of respect, decency, and maturity. The OP embodies none of those traits.
a b B Homebuilt system
December 27, 2012 6:48:31 PM

Devoldo said:

PS3s and 360s are still valuable today because there isn't anything newer to replace them. Next year when the new ones come out, watch how quickly the 360s fall in value - they're already badly dated TBH.

You're not making any sense. First you say that the people you're going to sell to are fools who have no idea what they're buying, but now they're giving you the "true, unbiased" value of the system? These things can't both be true.

You know, and don't want to admit, that we on this forum are much more knowledgeable and much better able to tell you the true value of the system and its components. You want to rip somebody off, that's your [shady] business.

Take the offer on your CPU and MOBO, if it's real, and keep the rest of your components except the Velociraptors and maybe WD Blacks. Save yourself some money and invest in a 690 or something if you want to.

By the way... it is rich that you blast us for "wasting our money" when you're:

1. Literally selling components at a loss and buying brand new ones when you could simply keep the new ones and save yourself hundreds of dollars. This is literally one of the stupidest things I've ever heard.
2. Buying overpriced and unnecessary components for your system.

I'm no hypocrite, by the way - I built a new PC this year but before that used a Core 2 Quad system for almost four years that cost me less than $700.
a b B Homebuilt system
December 27, 2012 6:54:29 PM

Dude, Willard, +15 friend. Great job.
a b B Homebuilt system
December 27, 2012 6:58:15 PM

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/uu8E

In ten minutes I had an $1100 machine that will beat yours in everything but perfectly threaded workloads. Here are the highlights:

• 3TB of storage, a 50% increase.
  • One mechanical drive instead of four, reducing the likelihood of disk failure by a factor of 16.
  • Faster, dual channel memory (to account for the small benefit the many channel memory offered)
  • 3770k CPU uses less power, stomps the 980x in single threaded and barely trails it in heavily threaded.
  • Single large SSD will run circles around your RAID0 Velociraptors, beating their IOP rate by more than an order of magnitude and sustained transfer speed by a factor of 2 or 3 on average.
  • More appropriate PSU, plenty for Crossfire 7970s or SLI 680s.

But really, as a gaming machine we don't even want the 3770k and should get the 3570k or even 2500k instead, bringing this down to right around $1k. We could also save $15 or so on memory, get a more reasonable SSD and drop the PSU down to 550W for a single GPU setup, then get a complete machine that's every bit as good as yours for gaming for $700-$800 plus the chosen video card.

Tell me again why somebody should buy yours for $1200 when they could have a brand new, faster machine for less money?

Edit: It's worth mentioning that I misspoke about the 3930k when you inappropriately compared it to the 980x. For some reason I was thinking the 980x wasn't part of Nehalem (probably because of the die shrink). The fact that you specifically picked a $600 processor from the previous generation, though, and not the $300 processor from the current generation like we were talking about, is just more of your consistent dishonesty. Of course you can get a favorable comparison by comparing against another product with terrible value.

You are a very, very dishonest person I'm finding. Here's my favorite.

Quote:
    I'm probably going to be selling this to someone that doesn't really know anything about computers. It'll most likely be a kid with some money from Christmas who wants a gaming PC without researching

Classy, Devoldo. Planning to scam kids out of their Christmas money.
    December 27, 2012 10:12:36 PM

Holy crap, you guys will just keep going at it until you think you've won. I was pissed at my own admission that seeing a computer that can keep up with you brats and your brand new machines, yet you're crying scam when you see a $1200 price tag for the whole she-bang.

Willard, I respect your thesis in attempting to sway my opinion and give the other kids replying in this thread some kind of hope so that they can jump on the "get owned" bandwagon which always has so many weak minds clinging to it at one or two witty remarks by the driver, but I still fail to see a drastic increase in performance with current generation hardware. I guess you will grasp at straws until your hands fall off, but go ahead for the comedy.

Quote:

Yeah, you and every other moron that decides to upgrade every year, get a mid-range average Joe product, and just replicate your poor decision the next year. Fantastic. Where in the hell did I say that the CPU was still worth $1,000? Point that out to me, since that's the only thing you are trying to skewer me with.

Quote:

Awesome, and I really do hope you lose all your data since you are so nose-up you probably wouldn't dream of using some form of data redundancy or cloud-based backup with all those lovely firmware, controller, and OS issues introduced with SSDs. I'm glad you are such an A+ certified technician that you can proudly analyze that I know absolutely nothing about computers. One kid's opinion is really going to make me go out and re-think my life. Please explain what has "locked" me into the 2011 socket, since A. this socket is 1366, and B. I don't own a socket 2011 CPU...

Quote:

I agree if I wanted to shell out money for an "experiment" like SSDs, I would. But I have no desire until they are market-tested a bit more by you guinea pigs for a while.

Quote:

I realize this, hence why I did not even quote the value of the CPU to be anywhere near retail that I paid. I would expect someone to walk up to me and say "I'll give you 20 bucks for it" so I can punch him in the head for the insult. Gladly, wise men surround me. This is the reason for this thread, to get an idea of the value other's would pay. Obviously not the "tech-savy" pimply-faced teenages that consider a car more a week old to be cheap and lame.

Quote:

Yeah, apparently you must be getting redirected to some other site, because I see no double or triple performance gain here...

Quote:

Just because you couldn't fathom the idea that someone else may have watched porn on the computer before you, doesn't mean someone else is as anal. You may not have that kind of cash, but someone else could enjoy the computer and since I said craigslist, do you actually think I'm going to end up getting asking price? Start high, work your way down. Go to an auction sometime bud.

Quote:
    Pot, kettle, black.

Just a thought.

Yeah, I am the stupid consumer. I was the one that bought a $1,000 CPU that still keeps up with hardware from three years later. I'm also the one willing to barter on price if the person has done their research, acting like any other company, such as Intel, Dell, etc. that will take a fools money if tempted. If that's true dishonesty, welcome to the world my little basement dwellers. I believe acting like a fool, from what I've seen on this particular forum would more along the lines of "dude, u don no wut yer talkin' about. STFU, NUB" Just like that get owned picture was extremely mature. I'm the classy one trying to get the best bang for my buck from someone, while you guys hunt the internet for any deal you can get for the next-gen component (like any smart consumer should when shopping for new PC components), wonder if companies like Asus, EVGA, and so on and so forth think thats dishonest .
    a b B Homebuilt system
    December 27, 2012 11:31:26 PM

LoL go back to your battlefield battle site mr maturity
    a b B Homebuilt system
    December 27, 2012 11:50:19 PM

Devoldo said:
    Holy crap, you guys will just keep going at it until you think you've won. I was pissed at my own admission that seeing a computer that can keep up with you brats and your brand new machines, yet you're crying scam when you see a $1200 price tag for the whole she-bang.

Willard, I respect your thesis in attempting to sway my opinion and give the other kids replying in this thread some kind of hope so that they can jump on the "get owned" bandwagon which always has so many weak minds clinging to it at one or two witty remarks by the driver, but I still fail to see a drastic increase in performance with current generation hardware. I guess you will grasp at straws until your hands fall off, but go ahead for the comedy.

Quote:

Yeah, you and every other moron that decides to upgrade every year, get a mid-range average Joe product, and just replicate your poor decision the next year. Fantastic. Where in the hell did I say that the CPU was still worth $1,000? Point that out to me, since that's the only thing you are trying to skewer me with.

Quote:

Awesome, and I really do hope you lose all your data since you are so nose-up you probably wouldn't dream of using some form of data redundancy or cloud-based backup with all those lovely firmware, controller, and OS issues introduced with SSDs. I'm glad you are such an A+ certified technician that you can proudly analyze that I know absolutely nothing about computers. One kid's opinion is really going to make me go out and re-think my life. Please explain what has "locked" me into the 2011 socket, since A. this socket is 1366, and B. I don't own a socket 2011 CPU...

Quote:

I agree if I wanted to shell out money for an "experiment" like SSDs, I would. But I have no desire until they are market-tested a bit more by you guinea pigs for a while.

Quote:

I realize this, hence why I did not even quote the value of the CPU to be anywhere near retail that I paid. I would expect someone to walk up to me and say "I'll give you 20 bucks for it" so I can punch him in the head for the insult. Gladly, wise men surround me. This is the reason for this thread, to get an idea of the value other's would pay. Obviously not the "tech-savy" pimply-faced teenages that consider a car more a week old to be cheap and lame.

Quote:

Yeah, apparently you must be getting redirected to some other site, because I see no double or triple performance gain here...

Quote:

Just because you couldn't fathom the idea that someone else may have watched porn on the computer before you, doesn't mean someone else is as anal. You may not have that kind of cash, but someone else could enjoy the computer and since I said craigslist, do you actually think I'm going to end up getting asking price? Start high, work your way down. Go to an auction sometime bud.

Quote:
    Pot, kettle, black.

Just a thought.

Yeah, I am the stupid consumer. I was the one that bought a $1,000 CPU that still keeps up with hardware from three years later. I'm also the one willing to barter on price if the person has done their research, acting like any other company, such as Intel, Dell, etc. that will take a fools money if tempted. If that's true dishonesty, welcome to the world my little basement dwellers. I believe acting like a fool, from what I've seen on this particular forum would more along the lines of "dude, u don no wut yer talkin' about. STFU, NUB" Just like that get owned picture was extremely mature. I'm the classy one trying to get the best bang for my buck from someone, while you guys hunt the internet for any deal you can get for the next-gen component (like any smart consumer should when shopping for new PC components), wonder if companies like Asus, EVGA, and so on and so forth think thats dishonest .
    Oh give it a rest we try to help you.You did not like what you heard and start acting like a jerk and insulting everybody and slandering TH fourm so do not try and turn it all round on us just because we did not turn our cheek ever heard of a eye for a eye.Yes i know two wrongs do not make a right.Does make it even though imo lol!

a b B Homebuilt system
    December 28, 2012 12:08:19 AM

This thread has reached it's end of life.
    a b B Homebuilt system
    December 28, 2012 12:08:30 AM

This topic has been closed by SR-71 Blackbird
    !