Sign in with
Your question
Closed

GTX 660 SLI or GTX 680?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 10, 2012 8:47:04 AM

I have seen many benchmark reviews showing that the GTX 660 in Sli is faster than a single GTX 680 and it is also cheaper to buy two GTX 660's. However I was just wondering if this would still be the better option due to the possibility of Sli trouble and not being able to add more cards in the future if needed due to the 660 only supporting dual Sli. So is it better to spend a little more money on the 680 to get less performance or just buy the two 660's for less and better performance?
Thanks to anyone with any help.

More about : gtx 660 sli gtx 680

Related resources
a b U Graphics card
November 10, 2012 9:52:03 AM

Single GTX 680.
Score
a c 87 U Graphics card
November 10, 2012 9:58:54 AM

Both options are non-optimal. Get a 670 instead is my recommendation. More specifically, this 670:
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/zotac-video-card-zt6030210...

It's the fastest 670 (it even has a considerable lead on the more expensive 680) and among the best cooled. It's even among the cheapest despite it's great performance and cooling.

However, going AMD right now would be getting the better deal. A 7970 GHz Edition such as the Gigabyte Windforce model will best even this 670 overall and will come with almost $200 in freebies from the Never Settle deal, although power consumption would be noticeably higher.
Score
a c 185 U Graphics card
November 10, 2012 10:33:27 AM

I agree with blazorthon go for 670 i would go for this one though http://pcpartpicker.com/mr/newegg/msi-video-card-n670pe... MSI's GTX 670 Power Edition uses the famous Twin Frozr IV cooler from the MSI Lightning and comes with a large clock speed boost out of the box, making its default clock speed even higher than GTX 680 stock clocks.That would be a solid choice for the price imo they currently are going for $389.99 a piece $369.99 after $20.00 mail-in rebate that doesn't look unreasonable, given the improved cooling and higher clocks but it's up to you. ;) 
Score
a b U Graphics card
November 10, 2012 10:54:03 AM

Always go for a single GPU if you can. 2 GPUs doesn't mean 2 times performance, but it does Means 2 times the heat and 2 times the power use. :) 
Score
a c 87 U Graphics card
November 10, 2012 10:59:08 AM

lostgamer_03 said:
Always go for a single GPU if you can. 2 GPUs doesn't mean 2 times performance, but it does Means 2 times the heat and 2 times the power use. :) 

With Kepler, two GPUs can be very close to two times the performance.
Score
November 10, 2012 11:20:09 AM

Go for a GTX 670 or 680. In a year or so you could always SLI them.
Score
November 10, 2012 11:39:49 AM

Yes, always get 1 gpu over 2 if possible. This helps with heat, power, adjustments, space, overclocking, etc
Score
November 10, 2012 12:01:35 PM

Ok thanks everyone for your answers, it seems that the single card is the way to go, i just have to decide between the 670 and 680 now
Score
Anonymous
a c 117 U Graphics card
November 10, 2012 1:26:22 PM

cubefan said:
Ok thanks everyone for your answers, it seems that the single card is the way to go, i just have to decide between the 670 and 680 now

blazorthon made an excellent suggestion.
http://www.cowcotland.com/articles/1160/zotac-gtx-670-a...
french review showing that card besting the 680.
Score
November 11, 2012 12:52:31 AM

So ive pretty much decided to get a 670, I have had a look at the EVGA 670 FTW and it seems really good, is the zotac that you have all linked to better than the EVGA?
Score
Anonymous
a c 117 U Graphics card
November 11, 2012 1:04:31 AM

i personally am biased towards EVGA. the past experiences i have had with their customer support when i needed it has always been good.

Review: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW

now they do have a reputation for not the best coolers. if you can afford the signature series with dual fans, that my be worth consideration.

bias aside, its a tough choice between the AMP! and FTW.
Score
November 11, 2012 1:12:35 AM

Anonymous said:
i personally am biased towards EVGA. the past experiences i have had with their customer support when i needed it has always been good.

Review: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW

now they do have a reputation for not the best coolers. if you can afford the signature series with dual fans, that my be worth consideration.

bias aside, its a tough choice between the AMP! and FTW.

I have seen so many reviews saying that the EVGA's are very good especially for customer support so i might just go with them, and besides I think the FTW looks better than the AMP! anyway
Score
a c 84 U Graphics card
November 11, 2012 6:46:54 AM

first of all goodluck for your puchase:) if u r thinking to go with gtx 670 or gtx 680 let me tell u that both the gpus worth the price.if u r thinking for brand then always the evga will be better and ftw is better.have a nice day:) 
Score
a c 87 U Graphics card
November 11, 2012 4:02:56 PM

EVGA's cards are not better; they're inferior. The selling point of EVGA is their customer service, not card quality and especially not cooler quality.
Score
a c 84 U Graphics card
November 12, 2012 6:50:43 AM

bro i have bought 2 evga gpus i didnt get any problem with it evga gpus quality are really good. i have got problems once with gigabyte gpu.

i have bought a gts 450 and gtx 560ti of evga no problem.now i have a radeon card.:) 
Score
a c 87 U Graphics card
November 12, 2012 6:53:47 AM

sunnk said:
bro i have bought 2 evga gpus i didnt get any problem with it evga gpus quality are really good. i have got problems once with gigabyte gpu.

i have bought a gts 450 and gtx 560ti of evga no problem.now i have a radeon card.:) 

I didn't say that they're bad, I simply said that they're inferior.
Score
a c 84 U Graphics card
November 12, 2012 6:56:08 AM

fine:) but i have evgas gpus there quality is good and you said there they arent better?.
Score
a c 87 U Graphics card
November 12, 2012 2:06:20 PM

sunnk said:
fine:) but i have evgas gpus there quality is good and you said there they arent better?.

EVGA doesn't make GPUs, they design graphics cards. Nvidia and AMD and their fab partners are the ones designing and making the GPUs. You're confusing them.

Furthermore, yes, other companies do make better graphics cards than EVGA. MSI, Asus, Gigabyte, Zotac, and maybe a few others all make some cards that are better than any of EVGA's cards. For example, the Zotac card that I linked earlier beats any and every EVGA single GPU card that is available right now while running cooler thanks to its superior cooler.
Score

Best solution

November 12, 2012 2:37:52 PM

sunnk said:

I have to say those aren't the best valid points.

You have 2 fairly mid range inferior cards as compared to what the conversation is about.

Now if I recall correctly, I heard with the release of one of EVGAs cards they had serious issues, and gave replacement cards to quite a few customers. While that is excellent CS, an issue like that shouldn't be avoided. Also I do respect excellent customer service, but that shouldn't be the only selling point to something. But it is a huge benefit if something does go wrong.

I came here with the same dilemma, I wanted to upgrade from a Radeon HD5970 to either, a 660TI Sli, 670, or a 680.
I've known for a very long time that a 670 was an amazing card and that was always going to be my choice. I do want the biggest bang for my buck.

I was going to go with a ASUS DC2Top or MSI Lightning 670, but those have had issues as well, and while those are good brands with great customer service, I don't want the hassle of being without my graphics card.

I don't trust EVGA, and for the simple fact that they use stock coolers on those cards makes me a bit iffy on them.

Zotac while it may look a tad ridiculous, seems that it will get the job done, and then some. Looking at the reviews people have posted it is a top notch card, with amazing value. And the fact that you can catch it for about $400, it is going to be a hell of a bargain to beat. In the future I might SLI the card, but I also do plan on doing a full new build when the new Intel CPUs come out next year.

I want to say thanks to the original poster, and thanks to the people who contributed in helping him make a decision as well as myself. I was a bit unsure on Zotac, mainly because it isn't a big brand here in the US, it is a fairly new one to me at least, and the name just reminds me too much of Zoltan from the infamously retarded movie that is know as, "Dude Where's My Car".
a c 87 U Graphics card
November 12, 2012 3:37:35 PM

The Asus DCII TOP had issues? This is news to me. I thought that it's only problem was that it's hard to find because it is a discontinued limited edition card.

Also, IDK about the MSI Lightning consistently having issues; the only MSI cards recently that I know had reliability issues are the MSI PE cards. My problem with them is mostly about the m being somewhat slower than the Zotac AMP! 670 despite being more expensive.
Score
Anonymous
a c 117 U Graphics card
November 12, 2012 3:47:26 PM

wait for it

wait for it

wait for it

"according to the customer feedback on newegg . . ."

ok, i couldn't wait for it.
:lol: 
Score
a c 87 U Graphics card
November 12, 2012 3:57:36 PM

Newegg feedback isn't inaccurate as to what hardware fails. If they say their card failed isn't working, then they're usually right (although the reasons for it can be very far off at times). Also, Newegg feedback takes into account things such as DOAs that happen with pretty much everything to varying degrees of severity and frequency.

Sure, Newegg feedback is obviously not a bunch of expert reviews, but it can have its uses. For example, if say fifty out of one hundred *reviews* had DOAs, then it's probably an unreliable product regardless of the quality of those reviews. The opposite is often fairly accurate too.
Score
November 12, 2012 4:08:51 PM

blazorthon said:
Newegg feedback isn't inaccurate as to what hardware fails. If they say their card failed isn't working, then they're usually right (although the reasons for it can be very far off at times). Also, Newegg feedback takes into account things such as DOAs that happen with pretty much everything to varying degrees of severity and frequency.

Sure, Newegg feedback is obviously not a bunch of expert reviews, but it can have its uses. For example, if say fifty out of one hundred *reviews* had DOAs, then it's probably an unreliable product regardless of the quality of those reviews. The opposite is often fairly accurate too.

This is my thing, some people on NewEgg have said these card have had their issues. I wanted a DC2T, but some people even on this forum have strayed away from it.

I know Asus makes excellent quality products, as well as MSI. Hell I had a MSI GeForce FX5900 SP 256Bit. It was amazing back in the days of BF2 and before hand. But their reputation still follows.

I personally want something powerful with an after market cooler. The EVGA cards don't seem to fit that bill very well.
Score
a c 87 U Graphics card
November 12, 2012 4:16:38 PM

Would you mind if I asked for some links to information on this? It's the first that I'd heard. It doesn't change my recommendations because of the Zotac AMP! card, but it's something that I'd like to look into and I'd appreciate it if you had an idea about where to start looking. I'll try Google searches in the meantime.

Yeah, my only problem with EVGA has been card quality/cooler quality... Like you said, their customer service is incredible (I might even go as far as calling it the best in the consumer graphics market), but that doesn't make up for their cards generally being generally inferior. By far they're not unreliable at stock AFAIK, but they just don't cut it for enthusiasts who want more out of their cards and when Zotac is pricing their best card so well, even stock performance/cooling becomes a trade-off to get that customer service. I'd take better card with good customer service over good card with better customer service in most situations.
Score
November 12, 2012 9:00:48 PM

Best answer selected by cubefan.
Score
November 12, 2012 9:01:42 PM

The Zotac AMP! looks like a great card accoring to everyone here and i am really considering getting it, the only problem I have is that I cant find the Zotac card for sale in Australia making it harder and in the end dearer for me to buy
Score
a c 87 U Graphics card
November 13, 2012 1:47:22 AM

If you don't mind having an AMD card, this 7970 GHz Edition is available in Australia and is generally a little faster than the Zotac AMP!:
http://pcpartpicker.com/au/part/gigabyte-video-card-gvr...

If you must have a Nvidia card, then this one is what I'd consider:
http://pcpartpicker.com/au/part/gigabyte-video-card-gvn...
It's quite a bit inferior to the Zotac model that I brought up, but if its not available to you, then I suppose that I can't recommend it.
Score
a c 87 U Graphics card
November 13, 2012 8:11:44 AM

Glad to help.
Score
a c 84 U Graphics card
November 13, 2012 8:11:46 AM

well thanks blazorton but i know that but thanks btw.u r a man with full of pc knowledge keep it up bro.:) 
Score
a c 84 U Graphics card
November 13, 2012 8:21:55 AM

blazorthon said:
Glad to help.

;) 
Score
!