Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Flickering Problem with GTX560Ti SLI

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 10, 2012 9:35:21 AM

The problem I'm is a flickering problem on the screen whenever I run my games in SLI mode with my GTX560Ti.
My specs are:

i5-2500
16GB RAM
GTX560Ti x2 (one Asus, one MSI Hawk Edition) - both clocked at 950MHz (GPU) and 2100MHz (memory)
700W PSU (Silverstone Strider Essential)

I suspect the problem lies in my PSU being unable to provide sufficient power and that is the cause of the flickering. I've tried to underclock both GPUs to as low as 415MHz CPU and 1000MHz memory but the flickering still appears. The flickering appears to be have a blue tint to it.
The problem can be traced back to the SLI configuration because when I run in single GPU mode, the flickering is not present.
Otherwise, there aren't any problems when running other programs (besides games) when in SLI mode.

As a note, I just want to pinpoint whether it is a PSU problem. I've read in forums that the GTX560Ti SLI will do on 700W and 42A which I do have but that's about it. I haven't any qualm with changing my PSU for a more powerful one, I just don't want to make the change without actually confirming the issue.

Thank You.
a c 171 Î Nvidia
November 10, 2012 9:52:38 AM

I'm running my 560Ti's on a 6 year old 620w PSU and I don't get any flickering at all, something else is amiss. One of the cards may be failing.
Score
November 10, 2012 9:57:26 AM

The Asus one is my primary card and is working fine. The MSI one I just got today but, I haven't tried running it as is. I'll do it and get back with the results.
Score
Related resources
a c 171 Î Nvidia
November 10, 2012 10:01:09 AM

Did you reinstall the drivers when you first added the second card?
Score
November 10, 2012 10:35:22 AM

Initially didn't. Now that I've done it, rebooted and activated SLI. On running games, the flickering is still there but it now flickers less and is more like a static blue tint.
I'm going to swap the positions of my cards and see the outcome.

As a side note, the games are perfectly playable except for the flickering present in it.
Score
a c 171 Î Nvidia
November 10, 2012 10:49:47 AM

Was the MSI card a new or second hand item?
Score
November 10, 2012 11:10:38 AM

Brand new. I got it from a hardware store. The box looked to be in an okay condition thought the edges were slightly dinged.
It had a small sticker on one of the corners. Presumably targeted for the Japanese market with MSI's website details placed on it in japanese. Doubt that is of much importance.
Score
November 10, 2012 11:24:03 AM

Mousemonkey said:
I'm running my 560Ti's on a 6 year old 620w PSU and I don't get any flickering at all, something else is amiss. One of the cards may be failing.

I swapped my MSI card as the primary card and my Asus as the secondary. When running in single GPU mode there was no sign of flickering at all, the MSI card worked just fine. When SLI was activated, the same problem appeared but worst. The flickering was now more frequent and the tint changed to orange.
Score
November 10, 2012 11:25:44 AM

After reading around, I'm going to try and install an older driver and beta driver (310.33) to see if that helps.
Score
a c 171 Î Nvidia
November 10, 2012 11:26:18 AM

I suspect that card may be faulty, any chance you can exchange it?
Score
November 10, 2012 11:40:22 AM

Mousemonkey said:
I suspect that card may be faulty, any chance you can exchange it?

Hmm, actually not too sure if they'll allow it. Maybe claim for warranty but switching the card there and then sounds like it may not happen. Considering the one I bought was the last piece in that shop.
Score
November 10, 2012 12:06:04 PM

Okay! I've been able to isolate the problem. After trying everything high and low, I went for the SLI bridge. Lo and behold, there is the problem! Like stated in other forums as well, the SLI bridge connection is responsible for the flickering. My bridge currently isn't embedded all the way but the flickering is gone for good.
I believe the problem lies in my SLI bridge being of low quality. It came included with my Asus mobo. I'll swap it out as soon as possible.

Thank you a lot mousemonkey for helping me rule out the possibility of it being a PSU issue. :D 
Score

Best solution

a c 171 Î Nvidia
November 10, 2012 12:38:47 PM

I'm glad to hear you got it sorted, it's times like these when it's nice to be wrong! ;) 
!