Sign in with
Your question

Graphic Card Replacement

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 10, 2012 4:10:00 PM

I have a Dell XPS 720 from Jan 2008, with DUAL 512MB NVIDIA GEFORCE 8800GT cards. which I think are nearly done for, as I'm getting sets of parallel lines and ghost lettering plus poor resolution which makes the screen virtually impossible to read. The computer itself seems to be ok, since I can link up to it using HP linkup and it all works like it should. Have tried removing and resetting the cards, but no change.

So what Graphics card to use to replace the dual cards? From what I read on the net I could just as well replace the cards with one single more powerful one. I don't want to spend a fortune since the computer is only used for limited gaming these days. Anything equivalent to what it does now or maybe a tad better would be fine. Would probably prefer to stay with NVIDIA.

Final question, if I go with a single card, what do I do with the spare power feed cable? I'm not very computer savvy so please bear with me for the explanations!
a b U Graphics card
November 10, 2012 4:28:15 PM

how much are you looking to spend, if you want to stick with nvidia a gtx 670 is a highly suggested card. it is a lot cheaper than a gtx680 and performs on par as a gtx680 once you take overclocking into account (it overclocks better than a gtx680.)

if you are willing to jump camp there are a lot of very good options for better prices from amd. is there something in particular you prefer about nvidia? both camps have very functional drivers right now.
November 11, 2012 11:30:52 AM

neon neophyte said:
how much are you looking to spend, if you want to stick with nvidia a gtx 670 is a highly suggested card. it is a lot cheaper than a gtx680 and performs on par as a gtx680 once you take overclocking into account (it overclocks better than a gtx680.)

if you are willing to jump camp there are a lot of very good options for better prices from amd. is there something in particular you prefer about nvidia? both camps have very functional drivers right now.

Thanks for your reply. I had in mind to spend a lot less. I looked at the GTX650 for example but am not very sure regarding performance. I have a teenage son who has used the computer quite a lot for gaming up til now - but he will fly the nest soon, after which it will be mainly used for e mail and moderate shopping. So I really only want something with a similar or slightly better performance than the dual 8800GT s.

I guess I only prefer nvidia out of habit and because the first graphics card I ever had to replace was an AMD - not very good logic I freely admit, so why not AMD if there are good deals around!

I'm sorry, but I really am a relative novice in all this; overclocking and so on are things right out of my league.
a b Î Nvidia
a b U Graphics card
November 11, 2012 12:38:14 PM

IF you won't be gaming at all, then GTX 650 is also overkill. You should just pick something in the GT 610-640 segment.
If you will be gaming a Little, then go with GTX 660, it can practically take every game right now at ultra settings at 1920x1080 resolution (if your CPU isn't too old). :) 
!