nemes1s666

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
So my PC just blue screened while playing the walking dead game. Now, when booting up it starts for about 2-3 seconds then immediately switches off then boots up again and does the same thing, it does this over and over until i switch off the power.

I dont have anything overclocked atalll and i've only had one BSOD since i built it about 3-4 months ago. I've tried using a new cable but i honestly dont know where to start.

Any help would be greatly appreciated since this PC is kind of my lifeline.

P.S sorry if this is in the wrong place, it seemed the most fitting for my problem.

Reset your BIOS to defaults using the jumper, then reconfigure your drive priority and SATA ports as needed (e.g. to AHCI and/or RAID; whatever they need to be).
What is the brand and model (not just wattage) of your PSU? In fact, your full system specs would be helpful.

nemes1s666

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
ignore that...

No theres no display on the creen the pc doesnt get that fdar through boot.

I also dont have a spare power supply or the money to buy one, Any other suggestions?

I would not keep powering it up until we know more about your specs. It is conceivable that the BSOD was a symptom as an overstressed PSU went out of spec, but hopefully not indicating any real damage, at least not yet. Post your specs please.

nemes1s666

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011

Corsair 550watt
Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H motherboard
ATI radeon HD 6950
Intel 3750k 3.4Ghz
8GB corsair vengeance RAM
500MB hitachi HDD

Thanks for all the replies.

If that's the Corsair model I'm thinking it is, it's an older one but was quite good.
Do you know what your temps were like before your PC crashed?
Did resetting the BIOS help at all? Reseat your RAM and video card as well; thermal cycling may have loosened them.

mlcaouette

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
Be sure to do the reseating and resetting the bios first as Onus mentioned.

Check all power connections as well, including the power and reset switch.

You can try jumpering the power supply to see if it will run on it's own.

You can also disconnect the hard drive and see if you can get into bios.

As previously mentioned you can try with just one ram stick.

nemes1s666

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
i tried booting with one memory stick and worked untill i loaded optimized defaults in the BIOS then it went back to its same old trick. What does that mean?

The battery should be good, but US politicians should go by the Constitution, and we all know how that's turning out. I'd still replace it. $3-$4 seems a small price to pay for a little certainty about at least one thing.

nemes1s666

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
So far i've tried reseating my RAM and GPU, checked all my power connections, removed my GPU, tried it with 1 RAM stick, reset the BIOS and tried it without a harddrive. (havnt been able to try the battery thing yet)

The only relative success i've had so far was removing one of the ram sticks and restting the BIOS at the same time. Doing it this way got it onto the BIOS screen but once i set it to default it instantly shut down and started spazzing again. I also havnt been able to replecate that, removing the ram stick and clearing BIOS no longer gets me to the BIOS screen.

I really am at a loss does anyone else have any ideas?

is it likely at this point that its my PSU? if it is i can probably get it replaced under warranty (or if necessary i can scrounge up some money for a newer higher wattage one)

Thanks everyone for the replies so far i appreciate it alot.

A quality 550W PSU is enough for your build. You might return to the shop and explain your problem, asking them to help you troubleshoot it. They might have the means to test the PSU, and they certainly have parts for swapping around.