USB2.0 problem

I installed a 4 port USB2.0 PCI-card on my MSI6380LE MB (6 on board USB1.1
ports). All drivers have been upgraded (WinXP-SP1). After restarting my PC
the card is recognized, but after attaching a USB2.0 hard disk the OS says
something like "fast USB device connected on slow USB port".
Also after disabling the onboard USB-ports the same problem.....

Any suggestions how to resolve this problem?
3 answers Last reply
More about usb2 problem

    uninstall and re install drivers
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev (More info?)

    "Nero" <nero@rome.it> wrote in message news:<4180d2ab$0$43632$ed2e19e4@ptn-nntp-reader04.plus.net>...
    > uninstall and re install drivers

    Can you be more specific than "uninstall and re-install drivers"?

    Uninstalling the drivers didn't work for me.

    My Abit IC7-Max3 motherboard (Intel 82875P chipset, ICH5), supposedly
    supplies eight USB 2.0 ports.

    However, I've discovered that only three of those ports (controlled by
    Intel 82801EB USB2 Enhanced Host Controller 24DD) are USB 2.0

    The other five ports (controlled by Intel 82801EB USB Universal Host
    Controllers 24D2, 24D4, 24D7, and 24DE) apparently are only USB 1.0 or
    USB 1.1

    When I connect my USB 2.0 device to one of those five ports, Windows
    XP Pro complains, "This device can perform faster. This USB device can
    perform faster if you connect it to a Hi-Speed USB 2.0 port. For a
    list of available ports, click here."

    When I use Device Manager's "Hardware Update Wizard" to go on-line and
    search Windows Update Website for a better driver, it reports, "The
    wizard could not find a better match for your hardware than the
    software you currently have installed."

    When I use Device Manager to uninstall the driver from Universal Host
    Controller 24D2 (while my USB 2.0 device still is connected to its
    port) and reboot my computer, Windows XP first reports that it found
    new hardware (the 24D2) and its driver, and then reports that my new
    hardware (the USB 2.0 device) now is ready to use. However, its next
    message is its famous, "This device can perform faster. This USB
    device can perform faster if you connect it to a Hi-Speed USB 2.0
    port. For a list of available ports, click here."

    Thus, my experience is that merely uninstalling and reinstalling USB
    drivers does not work.

    My Abit motherboard has current v1.7 BIOS, and the USB 2.0 controller
    is enabled in BIOS. Windows XP Pro has Service Pack 2, and all other
    updates currently available from Microsoft update site.

    My question:
    How do I enable Hi-Speed USB 2.0 support of all eight ports?

    Thanks in advance for pointing me in the right direction.
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev (More info?)

    I have exactly the same problem - although not sure about my mother
    board.

    Did you ever resolve how to deal with this?

    Thanks

    Stuart

    --
    Sweet tooth