Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Gamer in need of help

Last response: in Systems
Share
December 27, 2012 6:14:02 PM

Hi everyone, I've def been out of the loop and would like to get back into gaming. I need help building a gaming rig with slight web surfing and hd streaming from my network. I've posted my budget of $700-1000 but would really like to keep it around $800, any help would greatly appreciated.
Approximate Purchase Date: (Ready to buy it now)

Budget Range: (e.g.: $700-1000) After Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: (gaming, surfing the internet, watching hd movies from my network)

Parts Not Required: (keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: (newegg.com, amazon.com and microcenter B&M

Country: USA

Parts Preferences: by brand or type (none, just looking for best bang for my buck)

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Yes, I would like that option for a future upgrade
Monitor Resolution: (1920x1080)

Additional Comments: (this is going to be strictly for gaming (bf3, cs source, cod mw3)

More about : gamer

December 27, 2012 7:08:59 PM

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/uupg
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/uupg/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/uupg/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($35.57 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card ($231.98 @ Newegg)
Case: BitFenix Merc Alpha (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $812.48
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-27 16:08 EST-0500)
m
0
l
December 27, 2012 9:15:43 PM

nix327 said:
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/uupg
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/uupg/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/uupg/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($35.57 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card ($231.98 @ Newegg)
Case: BitFenix Merc Alpha (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $812.48
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-27 16:08 EST-0500)


how does the Core i5 2500K compare? Microcenter has the OEM one for $140
m
0
l
Related resources
December 27, 2012 9:32:52 PM

lslugz said:
how does the Core i5 2500K compare? Microcenter has the OEM one for $140


There is not much difference in performance between a 2500k and 3570k..the 3570k comes with improved architecture and offers slightly better performance..it also consumes significantly less amount of power compared to the 2500k..but it does have a slight overheating issue when overclocking but nothing that a custom cooler can't handle..an oem version will not have a heatsink/fan and comes with 1 year warranty instead of the 3 year for retail boxed version..
the performance of the ivy bridge is definitely not worth the extra 50$ though..
m
0
l
January 1, 2013 5:52:35 PM

nix327 said:
There is not much difference in performance between a 2500k and 3570k..the 3570k comes with improved architecture and offers slightly better performance..it also consumes significantly less amount of power compared to the 2500k..but it does have a slight overheating issue when overclocking but nothing that a custom cooler can't handle..an oem version will not have a heatsink/fan and comes with 1 year warranty instead of the 3 year for retail boxed version..
the performance of the ivy bridge is definitely not worth the extra 50$ though..

Well I wasent able to get my hands on the oem 2500k but while at MicroCenter I did pick up the i5 3570 (169.99) and asrock z77 extreme4 (94.99) $278.23 :)  Now I was thinking of holding off on buying a cpu cooler and sticking with stock since I dont have any plans on OC for now.
m
0
l
January 1, 2013 6:23:08 PM

lslugz said:
Well I wasent able to get my hands on the oem 2500k but while at MicroCenter I did pick up the i5 3570 (169.99) and asrock z77 extreme4 (94.99) $278.23 :)  Now I was thinking of holding off on buying a cpu cooler and sticking with stock since I dont have any plans on OC for now.


the i5 3570k + extreme4 for 280$ is not a bad deal at all..you got the k version of the i5 right?.. it is alright if you get the cpu cooler only when you decide to overclock..
m
0
l
January 1, 2013 7:47:04 PM

nix327 said:
the i5 3570k + extreme4 for 280$ is not a bad deal at all..you got the k version of the i5 right?.. it is alright if you get the cpu cooler only when you decide to overclock..

yes I picked up the k version, now i was thinking of picking up an SSD, I already have one installed in my HTPC (Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2) and was thinking of taking that for my gaming pc and and throwing a smaller SSD for the HTPC since I only use about 25 gigs of it. What would you recommend as far as a cheap ssd for the htpc? The only reason I got it was to keep that pc as quiet as possible.
m
0
l
January 1, 2013 10:09:49 PM

The 64gb version of crucial m4 which costs about 70$ on newegg would be a good choice..32gb ssds cost about 50$ and will come with previous generation technology which is not worth it in my opinion..the m4 will provide a much more consistent performance..
m
0
l
!