USB port not available to printer

Interesting problem. I got a USB printer the other day and can't install it.
By the way, I'm

running XP home. It seems that when I go to the installation screen for
printers when it

comes to choosing a port USB does not appear. (same with scanner
installation). It shows

lpt's, com's and file but no USB.

The USB ports appear to be working, I have a camera and flash drive working
off of them.

Can anybody shine some light on this?

Thanks in advance
5 answers Last reply
More about port printer

    Did you try changing the USB cable?
    www.coribright.com

    "Peter" <ps@inter###pers.com> wrote in message
    > Interesting problem. I got a USB printer the other day and can't install
    > it.
    > By the way, I'm
    >
    > running XP home. It seems that when I go to the installation screen for
    > printers when it
    >
    > comes to choosing a port USB does not appear. (same with scanner
    > installation). It shows
    >
    > lpt's, com's and file but no USB.
    >
    > The USB ports appear to be working, I have a camera and flash drive
    > working
    > off of them.
    >
    > Can anybody shine some light on this?
    >
    > Thanks in advance

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev (More info?)

    Thenks for the reponse..
    Same cable ran fine on another machine...tested the installation there and
    it was fine, so the problem's not with the printer or cable. Yes, I
    installed the software before I connected the printer.

    Thanks

    Peter

    > Did you try changing the USB cable?
    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP) Windows Client - Printing/Imaging and Hardware
    > www.coribright.com
    >
    > "Peter" <ps@inter###pers.com> wrote in message
    > > Interesting problem. I got a USB printer the other day and can't install
    > > it.
    > > By the way, I'm
    > >
    > > running XP home. It seems that when I go to the installation screen for
    > > printers when it
    > >
    > > comes to choosing a port USB does not appear. (same with scanner
    > > installation). It shows
    > >
    > > lpt's, com's and file but no USB.
    > >
    > > The USB ports appear to be working, I have a camera and flash drive
    > > working
    > > off of them.
    > >
    > > Can anybody shine some light on this?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev (More info?)

    Is the USB port actually on the motherboard or on a hub?

    > Thenks for the reponse..
    > Same cable ran fine on another machine...tested the installation there and
    > it was fine, so the problem's not with the printer or cable. Yes, I
    > installed the software before I connected the printer.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Peter
    >
    > "Cari (MS-MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
    >> Did you try changing the USB cable?
    >> --
    >> Cari (MS-MVP) Windows Client - Printing/Imaging and Hardware
    >> www.coribright.com
    >>
    >> "Peter" <ps@inter###pers.com> wrote in message
    >> > Interesting problem. I got a USB printer the other day and can't
    >> > install
    >> > it.
    >> > By the way, I'm
    >> >
    >> > running XP home. It seems that when I go to the installation screen for
    >> > printers when it
    >> >
    >> > comes to choosing a port USB does not appear. (same with scanner
    >> > installation). It shows
    >> >
    >> > lpt's, com's and file but no USB.
    >> >
    >> > The USB ports appear to be working, I have a camera and flash drive
    >> > working
    >> > off of them.
    >> >
    >> > Can anybody shine some light on this?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks in advance

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev (More info?)

    Thanks Cari...been using the one on the MB.
    Peter

    > Is the USB port actually on the motherboard or on a hub?
    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP) Windows Client - Printing/Imaging and Hardware
    > www.coribright.com
    >
    > "Peter" <ps@inter###pers.com> wrote in message
    > > Thenks for the reponse..
    > > Same cable ran fine on another machine...tested the installation there
    and
    > > it was fine, so the problem's not with the printer or cable. Yes, I
    > > installed the software before I connected the printer.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Peter
    > >
    > > "Cari (MS-MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
    > >> Did you try changing the USB cable?
    > >> --
    > >> Cari (MS-MVP) Windows Client - Printing/Imaging and Hardware
    > >> www.coribright.com
    > >>
    > >> "Peter" <ps@inter###pers.com> wrote in message

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev (More info?)

    If the USB ports are ALL in use it could be a power issue ie an insufficient
    power supply unit. You might want to try a COMPLETE clean up of all the
    printer driver stuff that might have been installed already to see if this
    does the trick... I've seen it work more than a few times.

    > Thanks Cari...been using the one on the MB.
    > Peter
    >
    > "Cari (MS-MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
    >> Is the USB port actually on the motherboard or on a hub?
    >> --
    >> Cari (MS-MVP) Windows Client - Printing/Imaging and Hardware
    >> www.coribright.com
    >>
    >> "Peter" <ps@inter###pers.com> wrote in message
    >> > Thenks for the reponse..
    >> > Same cable ran fine on another machine...tested the installation there
    > and
    >> > it was fine, so the problem's not with the printer or cable. Yes, I
    >> > installed the software before I connected the printer.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks
    >> >
    >> > Peter
    >> >
    >> > "Cari (MS-MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message

    > for