Cool accessory for film or digital SLR

Last response: in Digital Camera
June 9, 2005 4:38:06 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

The Contax N1 (film) and N Digital SLRs were offered with an accessory
LCD screen that displayed the same image as the viewfinder. Here is
an accessory that should fit almost any brand of SLR, film or digital.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0506/05060701zigview_lcd.a...

If this works well, I think it will become one of the best SLR
accessories ever made.
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 4:38:07 AM

Tony Polson <tp@nospam.net> writes:

> The Contax N1 (film) and N Digital SLRs were offered with an accessory
> LCD screen that displayed the same image as the viewfinder. Here is
> an accessory that should fit almost any brand of SLR, film or digital.
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0506/05060701zigview_lcd.a...
>
> If this works well, I think it will become one of the best SLR
> accessories ever made.

Oh, cool. "Video assist" for still cameras :-).
June 9, 2005 4:38:07 AM

RichA wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 21:34:09 -0500, David Dyer-Bennet <dd-b@dd-b.net>
> wrote:
>
> >Tony Polson <tp@nospam.net> writes:
> >
> >> The Contax N1 (film) and N Digital SLRs were offered with an accessory
> >> LCD screen that displayed the same image as the viewfinder. Here is
> >> an accessory that should fit almost any brand of SLR, film or digital.
> >>
> >> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0506/05060701zigview_lcd.a...
> >>
> >> If this works well, I think it will become one of the best SLR
> >> accessories ever made.
> >
> >Oh, cool. "Video assist" for still cameras :-).
>
> One drawback; People who carry their cameras out of case, on their
> necks or shoulders will find it (the LCD) digging into them.
> -Rich

There are two things I miss on my DSLR--interchangeable screens and a
removable prism, as on my long gone Canon F1s. It looks to me as if
this device, if it works well, would allow me to work low level without
having to get on my belly, something of a physical problem these days
because of my bad knees. It also looks as if it would slip on and off
fairly easily. I'll wait for someone to test it before dropping what
looks to very roughly be about $175 for it.
June 9, 2005 5:08:50 AM

wrote:

>Tony Polson <tp@nospam.net> writes:
>
>> The Contax N1 (film) and N Digital SLRs were offered with an accessory
>> LCD screen that displayed the same image as the viewfinder. Here is
>> an accessory that should fit almost any brand of SLR, film or digital.
>>
>> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0506/05060701zigview_lcd.a...
>>
>> If this works well, I think it will become one of the best SLR
>> accessories ever made.
>
>Oh, cool. "Video assist" for still cameras :-).

One drawback; People who carry their cameras out of case, on their
necks or shoulders will find it (the LCD) digging into them.
-Rich
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 9:22:39 AM

"Charlie Self" <charliediy@aol.com> wrote in message

> There are two things I miss on my DSLR--interchangeable screens and a
> removable prism, as on my long gone Canon F1s. It looks to me as if
> this device, if it works well, would allow me to work low level without
> having to get on my belly, something of a physical problem these days
> because of my bad knees. It also looks as if it would slip on and off
> fairly easily. I'll wait for someone to test it before dropping what
> looks to very roughly be about $175 for it.

I'd like to see it in use, too. Shooting formals at weddings, I like to
keep my tripod at a fairly low level, and this would keep me from having to
hunker down to see through the viewfinder. It'd be worth $175 not to do
that.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

Tony Polson <tp@nospam.net> wrote in

> The Contax N1 (film) and N Digital SLRs were offered with an accessory
> LCD screen that displayed the same image as the viewfinder. Here is
> an accessory that should fit almost any brand of SLR, film or digital.
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0506/05060701zigview_lcd.a...
>
> If this works well, I think it will become one of the best SLR
> accessories ever made.

It looks like something that not everyone needs, but if you want a waist
level viewfinder then this might be just the ticket. I can see that this
could be quite a useful wee device.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
understand binary and those that don't"

Tony Polson wrote:

> The Contax N1 (film) and N Digital SLRs were offered with an accessory
> LCD screen that displayed the same image as the viewfinder. Here is
> an accessory that should fit almost any brand of SLR, film or digital.
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0506/05060701zigview_lcd.a...
>
> If this works well, I think it will become one of the best SLR
> accessories ever made.

I'm just wondering if this would actually be superior, in use, to a
traditional angle finder that attaches to the viewfinder.

Lisa
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 2:10:49 PM

Tony Polson wrote:

> The Contax N1 (film) and N Digital SLRs were offered with an
> accessory LCD screen that displayed the same image as the viewfinder.
> Here is an accessory that should fit almost any brand of SLR, film or
> digital.
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0506/05060701zigview_lcd.a...
>
> If this works well, I think it will become one of the best SLR
> accessories ever made.

I'll stick to my optical angle-viewfinder that can be used in various
orientations, 2X mag, doesn't require batteries, is smaller and of much
greater res than that thing.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 2:23:05 PM

Lisa Horton wrote:

> Tony Polson wrote:
>
>>The Contax N1 (film) and N Digital SLRs were offered with an accessory
>>LCD screen that displayed the same image as the viewfinder. Here is
>>an accessory that should fit almost any brand of SLR, film or digital.
>>
>>http://www.dpreview.com/news/0506/05060701zigview_lcd.a...
>>
>>If this works well, I think it will become one of the best SLR
>>accessories ever made.
>

> I'm just wondering if this would actually be superior, in use, to a
> traditional angle finder that attaches to the viewfinder.

The resolution would almost have to be lower than the traditional
optical one, but I didn't see specs in or linked to in the page above.

Me, I'm waiting for the blue tooth DSLR camera that feeds an 8"x12"
Hi-Def screen I can attach anywhere for preview and/or review. DOF
preview, focus options via touch screen, GPS display, MP3 and HDTV
enabled, too.

--
John McWilliams
Anonymous

John McWilliams wrote:
> Lisa Horton wrote:
>>
>> Tony Polson wrote:
>>
>>> The Contax N1 (film) and N Digital SLRs were offered with an
>>> accessory LCD screen that displayed the same image as the
>>> viewfinder. Here is an accessory that should fit almost any brand
>>> of SLR, film or digital.
>>> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0506/05060701zigview_lcd.a...
>>>
>>> If this works well, I think it will become one of the best SLR
>>> accessories ever made.
>>

>> I'm just wondering if this would actually be superior, in use, to a
>> traditional angle finder that attaches to the viewfinder.
>>
> The resolution would almost have to be lower than the traditional
> optical one, but I didn't see specs in or linked to in the page
> above.
>
> Me, I'm waiting for the blue tooth DSLR camera that feeds an 8"x12"
> Hi-Def screen I can attach anywhere for preview and/or review. DOF
> preview, focus options via touch screen, GPS display, MP3 and HDTV
> enabled, too.

I'll wait a little longer, too, for the one like my next timepiece,
the one I can consult by changing attention to the implant that
receives all that information from "out there".

--
Frank ess
Anonymous

John McWilliams wrote:

> Lisa Horton wrote:
> >
> > Tony Polson wrote:
> >
> >>The Contax N1 (film) and N Digital SLRs were offered with an accessory
> >>LCD screen that displayed the same image as the viewfinder. Here is
> >>an accessory that should fit almost any brand of SLR, film or digital.
> >>
> >>http://www.dpreview.com/news/0506/05060701zigview_lcd.a...
> >>
> >>If this works well, I think it will become one of the best SLR
> >>accessories ever made.
> >

> > I'm just wondering if this would actually be superior, in use, to a
> > traditional angle finder that attaches to the viewfinder.
> >
> The resolution would almost have to be lower than the traditional
> optical one, but I didn't see specs in or linked to in the page above.
>
> Me, I'm waiting for the blue tooth DSLR camera that feeds an 8"x12"
> Hi-Def screen I can attach anywhere for preview and/or review. DOF
> preview, focus options via touch screen, GPS display, MP3 and HDTV
> enabled, too.

If it just had a video out and no screen, so you could use your own
screen of the appropriate size at the appropriate distance, I could see
it being more useful. For example, it wouldn't be hard to mount a 3"
screen on a pivot mount on a flash bracket.

Lisa
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 5:25:53 PM

On 09/06/2005 12:59 PM, Lisa Horton wrote:

>>http://www.dpreview.com/news/0506/05060701zigview_lcd.a...

> I'm just wondering if this would actually be superior, in use, to a
> traditional angle finder that attaches to the viewfinder.

Dunno about you, but if I were the type of person who needed to hold my
camera away from my eye to get a shot, such as overhead in a crowd
(which I'm not) I'd be hard pressed to see anything through my angle
finder. It's Nikon, not Canon, but I assume they're pretty much
equivalent. For traditional uses, I'd stick with the angle finder, though.
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 5:25:54 PM

Doug Payne wrote:

> On 09/06/2005 12:59 PM, Lisa Horton wrote:
>
> >>http://www.dpreview.com/news/0506/05060701zigview_lcd.a...
>
> > I'm just wondering if this would actually be superior, in use, to a
> > traditional angle finder that attaches to the viewfinder.
>
> Dunno about you, but if I were the type of person who needed to hold my
> camera away from my eye to get a shot, such as overhead in a crowd
> (which I'm not) I'd be hard pressed to see anything through my angle
> finder. It's Nikon, not Canon, but I assume they're pretty much
> equivalent. For traditional uses, I'd stick with the angle finder, though.

Yes, for those applications I do see your point. I have a little P&S
with a pivoting LCD and it's very handy for over the head use.

Lisa
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 5:40:22 PM

Lisa Horton wrote:

> Tony Polson wrote:
>
>>The Contax N1 (film) and N Digital SLRs were offered with an accessory
>>LCD screen that displayed the same image as the viewfinder. Here is
>>an accessory that should fit almost any brand of SLR, film or digital.
>>
>>http://www.dpreview.com/news/0506/05060701zigview_lcd.a...
>>
>>If this works well, I think it will become one of the best SLR
>>accessories ever made.
>

> I'm just wondering if this would actually be superior, in use, to a
> traditional angle finder that attaches to the viewfinder.

Not IMO. The only thing it can do that would be helpful to some
photographers is in use as a waist level finder or perhaps shooting over
or around obstacles (as PJ's sometimes do). At that, in direct light it
will likely not be readable at all.

Up close at the range of an angle finder, the anglefinder will beat it
hands down.

Cheers,
Alan

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 5:43:16 PM

John McWilliams wrote:

> Lisa Horton wrote:
>

>> Tony Polson wrote:
>>
>>> The Contax N1 (film) and N Digital SLRs were offered with an accessory
>>> LCD screen that displayed the same image as the viewfinder. Here is
>>> an accessory that should fit almost any brand of SLR, film or digital.
>>>
>>> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0506/05060701zigview_lcd.a...
>>>
>>> If this works well, I think it will become one of the best SLR
>>> accessories ever made.
>>

>> I'm just wondering if this would actually be superior, in use, to a
>> traditional angle finder that attaches to the viewfinder.
>>
> The resolution would almost have to be lower than the traditional
> optical one, but I didn't see specs in or linked to in the page above.
>
> Me, I'm waiting for the blue tooth DSLR camera that feeds an 8"x12"
> Hi-Def screen I can attach anywhere for preview and/or review. DOF
> preview, focus options via touch screen, GPS display, MP3 and HDTV
> enabled, too.

Yes, sir, and for your SUV would you prefer Japanese, American or
European? We have several GM models that are listed at a
going-out-of-business price.

;-)

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
June 9, 2005 7:05:14 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

In article <r20fa1hhhgd6knjlm1g68bkqt2asa8oc9i@4ax.com>, tp@nospam.net says...

>The Contax N1 (film) and N Digital SLRs were offered with an accessory
>LCD screen that displayed the same image as the viewfinder. Here is
>an accessory that should fit almost any brand of SLR, film or digital.
>
>http://www.dpreview.com/news/0506/05060701zigview_lcd.a...
>
>If this works well, I think it will become one of the best SLR
>accessories ever made.

Hm-m-m, looks interesting. I'll have to check out the photoshops while I'm in
London next week, and see if a.) they have one in stock and b.) how well it
works with a Nikon D-70. At US$200+/-, that doesn't sound too bad - depending
on how well it gets the job done. It would sure save having to get the art
director to climb over tripod legs, and squat down to look into the eyepiece.
However, we've taught them how to move the mirror in the binocular viewer on
our 4x5s and try and judge what they are looking at - or we just hand them a
Polaroid and a bunch of standard caveats regarding color fidelity, contrast
differences, etc., etc.

Thanks for the pointer,
Hunt
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 9:29:27 PM

Lisa Horton wrote:

> If it just had a video out and no screen, so you could use your own
> screen of the appropriate size at the appropriate distance, I could see
> it being more useful. For example, it wouldn't be hard to mount a 3"
> screen on a pivot mount on a flash bracket.

That's a potentially better solution than the as-is ... but still not
likely to be something I'd spring for.

For studio work, I would like it if the USB line was longer than the one
provided. I'd display the shots as fired on a monitor as I went. Could
possibly help with some subjects who don't take direction well.

Cheers,
Alan.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 11:04:16 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

"John McWilliams" <jpmcw@comcast.net> wrote in message
[SNIP]

> Me, I'm waiting for the blue tooth DSLR camera that feeds
> an 8"x12" Hi-Def screen I can attach anywhere for preview > and/or
review. DOF preview, focus options via touch
> screen, GPS display, MP3 and HDTV enabled, too.

But it still won't be able to do the single most important thing that a good
assistant can provide: make a cup of tea...

Peter
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 11:31:57 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 23:38:06 GMT, Tony Polson <tp@nospam.net> wrote in

> The Contax N1 (film) and N Digital SLRs were offered with an accessory
> LCD screen that displayed the same image as the viewfinder. Here is
> an accessory that should fit almost any brand of SLR, film or digital.
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0506/05060701zigview_lcd.a...
>
> If this works well, I think it will become one of the best SLR
> accessories ever made.

Haven't seen the specs yet, but I doubt it could be any more useful than an
optical right angle finder. By the look of it, as well as being made by a
third party company, it doesn't appear to have any electronic communication
with the camera and therefor will most likely not be able to provide live
histogram as well as exposure adjusted image preview. In fact, it'd rather
be useless for an LCD display without the latter feature. But if it does
have these two features, your conclusion may as well be true.
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 11:57:45 PM

Skip M wrote:
> "Charlie Self" <charliediy@aol.com> wrote in message
>

>>There are two things I miss on my DSLR--interchangeable screens and a
>>removable prism, as on my long gone Canon F1s. It looks to me as if
>>this device, if it works well, would allow me to work low level without
>>having to get on my belly, something of a physical problem these days
>>because of my bad knees. It also looks as if it would slip on and off
>>fairly easily. I'll wait for someone to test it before dropping what
>>looks to very roughly be about $175 for it.
>>

> I'd like to see it in use, too. Shooting formals at weddings, I like to
> keep my tripod at a fairly low level, and this would keep me from having to
> hunker down to see through the viewfinder. It'd be worth $175 not to do
> that.

Pay a little more, and you can get a Rolleiflex SL 2000F or 3003: Both
prism & WLF in one (not to mention interchangeable film backs & Zeiss
lenses).

No AF (who needs it?) & no matrix metering (ugh!), film only (since this
is crossposted) but just open the WLF and you can shoot from ground
level or overhead (or around a corner). Close it, and you shoot at eye
level again.

But it's far more important to use what everyone else is using...
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 12:28:48 AM

"Chris Loffredo" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> Skip M wrote:
>> "Charlie Self" <charliediy@aol.com> wrote in message
>>

>>>There are two things I miss on my DSLR--interchangeable screens and a
>>>removable prism, as on my long gone Canon F1s. It looks to me as if
>>>this device, if it works well, would allow me to work low level without
>>>having to get on my belly, something of a physical problem these days
>>>because of my bad knees. It also looks as if it would slip on and off
>>>fairly easily. I'll wait for someone to test it before dropping what
>>>looks to very roughly be about $175 for it.
>>>

>> I'd like to see it in use, too. Shooting formals at weddings, I like to
>> keep my tripod at a fairly low level, and this would keep me from having
>> to hunker down to see through the viewfinder. It'd be worth $175 not to
>> do that.
>>

> Pay a little more, and you can get a Rolleiflex SL 2000F or 3003: Both
> prism & WLF in one (not to mention interchangeable film backs & Zeiss
> lenses).

Yeah, but they'd look a little funny hung on the back of my 20D, don't you
think? ;-)

> No AF (who needs it?) & no matrix metering (ugh!), film only (since this
> is crossposted) but just open the WLF and you can shoot from ground level
> or overhead (or around a corner). Close it, and you shoot at eye level
> again.

If I wanted an old, heavy, non metering, manual focus WLF film camera, all
I'd have to do is dig my old Exactas out of the closet...

> But it's far more important to use what everyone else is using...

It's not what everybody else is using, it's what I'M using...
--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 12:30:57 AM

"Bandicoot" <"insert_handle_here"@techemail.com> wrote in message
> "John McWilliams" <jpmcw@comcast.net> wrote in message
> [SNIP]
>>
>> Me, I'm waiting for the blue tooth DSLR camera that feeds
>> an 8"x12" Hi-Def screen I can attach anywhere for preview > and/or
> review. DOF preview, focus options via touch
>> screen, GPS display, MP3 and HDTV enabled, too.
>>

> But it still won't be able to do the single most important thing that a
> good
> assistant can provide: make a cup of tea...
>

> Peter

I'd settle for one that would fetch a cup from Starbucks without grumbling,
even when I buy hers, too... (Perils of daughter as photo assistant...)

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 12:33:27 AM

"Lisa Horton" <Lisa0205@lisahorton.net> wrote in message

> Doug Payne wrote:

>> > I'm just wondering if this would actually be superior, in use, to a
>> > traditional angle finder that attaches to the viewfinder.
>>
>> Dunno about you, but if I were the type of person who needed to hold my
>> camera away from my eye to get a shot, such as overhead in a crowd
>> (which I'm not) I'd be hard pressed to see anything through my angle
>> finder. It's Nikon, not Canon, but I assume they're pretty much
>> equivalent. For traditional uses, I'd stick with the angle finder,
>> though.
>
> Yes, for those applications I do see your point. I have a little P&S
> with a pivoting LCD and it's very handy for over the head use.
>
> Lisa

I like to keep my tripod at a level somewhat below midchest when shooting
groups, the advantage afforded by my departed, and lamented, angle finder
would have been, at best, less than two inches. With this thing, I could at
least straighten my back and assume a posture more becoming to a hominid.
;-)

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 12:34:21 AM

"Alan Browne" <alan.browne@FreeLunchVideotron.ca> wrote in message

> Not IMO. The only thing it can do that would be helpful to some
> photographers is in use as a waist level finder or perhaps shooting over
> or around obstacles (as PJ's sometimes do). At that, in direct light it
> will likely not be readable at all.
>
> Up close at the range of an angle finder, the anglefinder will beat it
> hands down.
>
> Cheers,
> Alan

I didn't think about the direct light issue. Well, we'll just have to wait
and see...

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 12:35:31 AM

"T.N.T" <local@host.net.invalid> wrote in message
> On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 23:38:06 GMT, Tony Polson <tp@nospam.net> wrote in
>
>> The Contax N1 (film) and N Digital SLRs were offered with an accessory
>> LCD screen that displayed the same image as the viewfinder. Here is
>> an accessory that should fit almost any brand of SLR, film or digital.
>>
>> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0506/05060701zigview_lcd.a...
>>
>> If this works well, I think it will become one of the best SLR
>> accessories ever made.
>
> Haven't seen the specs yet, but I doubt it could be any more useful than
> an
> optical right angle finder. By the look of it, as well as being made by a
> third party company, it doesn't appear to have any electronic
> communication
> with the camera and therefor will most likely not be able to provide live
> histogram as well as exposure adjusted image preview. In fact, it'd rather
> be useless for an LCD display without the latter feature. But if it does
> have these two features, your conclusion may as well be true.

This would allow you to stand back a bit, and not huddle over with your eye
pressed up against the finder, angle, or otherwise...

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
June 10, 2005 1:07:40 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

"T.N.T" <local@host.net.invalid> wrote in

> Haven't seen the specs yet, but I doubt it could be any more useful
> than an optical right angle finder. By the look of it, as well as
> being made by a third party company, it doesn't appear to have any
> electronic communication with the camera and therefor will most likely
> not be able to provide live histogram as well as exposure adjusted
> image preview. In fact, it'd rather be useless for an LCD display
> without the latter feature. But if it does have these two features,
> your conclusion may as well be true.

I think that D-SLR users are now used to not having a live histogram or
exposure adjusted image preview. I am pretty sure the device is designed
as a composition aid so you can see where the camera is pointing - for that
purpose it might be quite useful.

The price seems quite good, you could buy it and use it with any SLR you
own as well as the new D-SLR you buy next year. But I won't consider
buying one until after reading some reviews.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
understand binary and those that don't"
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 2:17:20 AM

Alan Browne wrote:
> John McWilliams wrote:
>>
>> Me, I'm waiting for the blue tooth DSLR camera that feeds an 8"x12"
>> Hi-Def screen I can attach anywhere for preview and/or review. DOF
>> preview, focus options via touch screen, GPS display, MP3 and HDTV
>> enabled, too.
>

> Yes, sir, and for your SUV would you prefer Japanese, American or
> European? We have several GM models that are listed at a
> going-out-of-business price.

Nah. I'd buy the PC/green/eco-righteous solar powered one, and store it
in my homespun canvas knapsack.....<s>/

--
John McWilliams

Coach: "Are you just ignorant, or merely apathetic?"
Player: "Coach, I don't know, and I don't care."
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 2:19:25 AM

Bandicoot wrote:
> "John McWilliams" <jpmcw@comcast.net> wrote in message
> [SNIP]
>
>>Me, I'm waiting for the blue tooth DSLR camera that feeds
>>an 8"x12" Hi-Def screen I can attach anywhere for preview > and/or
>
> review. DOF preview, focus options via touch
>
>>screen, GPS display, MP3 and HDTV enabled, too.
>>

> But it still won't be able to do the single most important thing that a good
> assistant can provide: make a cup of tea...

Ever so right. Even tho I can still put the kettle on, make a good cuppa
cwaffee, etc., it tastes better when made by caring hands.

j.
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 2:22:37 AM

Lisa Horton wrote:

> John McWilliams wrote:.
>>
>>Me, I'm waiting for the blue tooth DSLR camera that feeds an 8"x12"
>>Hi-Def screen I can attach anywhere for preview and/or review. DOF
>>preview, focus options via touch screen, GPS display, MP3 and HDTV
>>enabled, too.
>>
> If it just had a video out and no screen, so you could use your own
> screen of the appropriate size at the appropriate distance, I could see
> it being more useful. For example, it wouldn't be hard to mount a 3"
> screen on a pivot mount on a flash bracket.

I was being whimsical about some of the "features", although they'd all
be technically a piece of cake..... just time and cost for now. Blue
tooth, or its successor, might really be neat in such an application.

jpm
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 11:14:43 AM

John McWilliams wrote:

> Coach: "Are you just ignorant, or merely apathetic?"
> Player: "Coach, I don't know, and I don't care."

<chuckle>
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 11:44:05 AM

On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 13:40:22 -0400, Alan Browne wrote:

> Not IMO. The only thing it can do that would be helpful to some
> photographers is in use as a waist level finder or perhaps shooting over
> or around obstacles (as PJ's sometimes do). At that, in direct light it
> will likely not be readable at all.
>
> Up close at the range of an angle finder, the anglefinder will beat it
> hands down.

You've never held one, you've never seen one, yet you offer up such a
conclusive opinion about one.

Hallelujah! We've found the Oracle! Step aside world, here he comes...

--
email: drop rods and insert surfaces
Anonymous

Skip M wrote:

>>No AF (who needs it?) & no matrix metering (ugh!), film only (since this
>>is crossposted) but just open the WLF and you can shoot from ground level
>>or overhead (or around a corner). Close it, and you shoot at eye level
>>again.
>

> If I wanted an old, heavy, non metering, manual focus WLF film camera, all
> I'd have to do is dig my old Exactas out of the closet...

Also having an Exakta, I can say it's not the same thing: You can't
change from prism to WLF in a fraction of a second, not to mention the
Exakta's prism is murky.

Also, the Rolleiflexes have excellent center-weighted metering.

"Old"... Right, new is always and exclusively better... D'oh!
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 3:17:40 PM

Skip M wrote:

>> No AF (who needs it?) & no matrix metering (ugh!), film only (since
this is crossposted) but just open the WLF and you can shoot from ground
level or overhead (or around a corner). Close it, and you shoot at eye
level again.

> If I wanted an old, heavy, non metering, manual focus WLF film
camera, all I'd have to do is dig my old Exactas out of the closet...

Also having an Exakta, I can say it's not the same thing: You can't
change from prism to WLF in a fraction of a second, not to mention the
Exakta's prism is murky.

Also, the Rolleiflexes have excellent center-weighted metering.

"Old": What? New is always and exclusively better... D'oh, now I get it!
If it isn't made of plastic, has integrated circuits inside, misfocusses
automatically and comes equipped with an 8-400mm zoom, then it's no good...
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 12:04:35 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

In article <d89u30$j1c$1@rumours.uwaterloo.ca>,
Doug Payne <dwpayne@ist.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
>On 09/06/2005 12:59 PM, Lisa Horton wrote:
>
>>>http://www.dpreview.com/news/0506/05060701zigview_lcd.a...
>
>> I'm just wondering if this would actually be superior, in use, to a
>> traditional angle finder that attaches to the viewfinder.
>
>Dunno about you, but if I were the type of person who needed to hold my
>camera away from my eye to get a shot, such as overhead in a crowd
>(which I'm not)

Does this mean that you don't take photos in crowds, or that you
are unusually tall, so such photos are easier for you?

I have used removable pentaprism cameras (Miranda F and Nikon F)
in that way in crowds. With the Miranda, I even did that before I got
the flip-up waist-level finder, just by removing the pentaprism. (Of
course, with the Miranda, there was no risk of losing the focusing
screen during such maneuvers, as the screen was permanent. The Nikon,
which I got later, I got the waist-level finder at about the same time
as my first body.

> I'd be hard pressed to see anything through my angle
>finder. It's Nikon, not Canon, but I assume they're pretty much
>equivalent. For traditional uses, I'd stick with the angle finder, though.

How about for composing close-up shots of wildflowers or other
things close to ground level?

Enjoy,
DoN.
June 11, 2005 2:28:04 AM

> Skip M wrote:
>
>>>No AF (who needs it?) & no matrix metering (ugh!), film only (since this
>>>is crossposted) but just open the WLF and you can shoot from ground level
>>>or overhead (or around a corner). Close it, and you shoot at eye level
>>>again.
>>

>> If I wanted an old, heavy, non metering, manual focus WLF film camera,
>> all I'd have to do is dig my old Exactas out of the closet...
>>

> Also having an Exakta, I can say it's not the same thing: You can't change
> from prism to WLF in a fraction of a second, not to mention the Exakta's
> prism is murky.
>
> Also, the Rolleiflexes have excellent center-weighted metering.
>
> "Old"... Right, new is always and exclusively better... D'oh!

My Exacta's prism isn't murky, but it does take more that a second to change
prisms. But there is the "Sportfinder" option, not a good one, but an
option,all the same.
No, new is not always and exclusively better, but new is what I'm using, and
the Rolleiflex option you mention isn't really an option for me, now, is it?
I'd have to invest far more than the cost of the doodad described above to
get a body and a set of lenses that would let me do what I do now with my
Canon digital. And, since I have a full compliment of film cameras (in a
feeble attempt to keep this on topic) the redundancy of the Rolleis
increases. Like I said, the Rollei would be hard to mount on the viewfinder
of my 20D, and would look pretty funny, there, to boot!

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 2:32:36 AM

> "Old": What? New is always and exclusively better... D'oh, now I get it!
> If it isn't made of plastic, has integrated circuits inside, misfocusses
> automatically and comes equipped with an 8-400mm zoom, then it's no
> good...

Why are you making an off the cuff comment a bone of contention? And why
are you putting words in my "mouth" and mis-describing what equipment I use?
Jeez, if you want an argument, I can give you one, but why? I didn't say
the rolleis were bad, and I'm rather fond of my old Exactas. But my none
but one of cameras are not made of plastic, they do not "automatically
misfocus," and the only zoom I have that goes to 400mm starts at 100mm.
Just because it's new, doesn't mean it bad, either, you know.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 2:52:04 AM

> "Chris Loffredo" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>

>> "Old": What? New is always and exclusively better... D'oh, now I get it!
>> If it isn't made of plastic, has integrated circuits inside, misfocusses
>> automatically and comes equipped with an 8-400mm zoom, then it's no
>> good...
>
> Why are you making an off the cuff comment a bone of contention? And why
> are you putting words in my "mouth" and mis-describing what equipment I
> use? Jeez, if you want an argument, I can give you one, but why? I
> didn't say the rolleis were bad, and I'm rather fond of my old Exactas.
> But my none but one of cameras are not made of plastic, they do not
> "automatically misfocus," and the only zoom I have that goes to 400mm
> starts at 100mm. Just because it's new, doesn't mean it bad, either, you
> know.

That should read, "none but one of my cameras are made of plastic," not,
"not made of plastic." A convoluted attempt to convey that only my Canon A2
is plastic, but not my 20D, 1N, AT-1, Exacta VXII, VX, VXIIa or Bolsei. Not
to mention the SpeedGraphic. I take that back, my Brownie from my childhood
is plastic, too... ;-)

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 3:19:14 AM

"Doug Payne" <dwpayne@ist.uwaterloo.ca> wrote in message
news:D 89u30$j1c$1@rumours.uwaterloo.ca...
> On 09/06/2005 12:59 PM, Lisa Horton wrote:
>
> >>http://www.dpreview.com/news/0506/05060701zigview_lcd.a...
>
> > I'm just wondering if this would actually be superior, in
> > use, to a traditional angle finder that attaches to the
> > viewfinder.
>
> Dunno about you, but if I were the type of person who
> needed to hold my camera away from my eye to get a
> shot, such as overhead in a crowd (which I'm not) I'd be
> hard pressed to see anything through my angle finder. It's
> Nikon, not Canon, but I assume they're pretty much
> equivalent.

The Action Finder for a Pentax LX makes this really easy - of course, out of
production now...

Peter
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 3:24:46 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

"Lisa Horton" <Lisa0205@lisahorton.net> wrote in message
[SNIP]

> If it just had a video out and no screen, so you could use
> your own screen of the appropriate size at the appropriate > distance, I
could see it being more useful. For example, it
> wouldn't be hard to mount a 3" screen on a pivot mount
> on a flash bracket.

An eyepiece add-on that contains a beam splitter might be a nice
alternattive. You could then have the direct path go to a 'normal' eyepiece
so the photographer has a proper 'full' resolution view to focus, will the
other path goes to a small camera that can be linked to a monitor to allow
the subject to see themselves, client to see the composition, whatever. I
have a splitter for an Leitz old teaching microscope that is the sort of
thing that would be the start point for such a gadget.

Peter
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 3:29:42 AM

> Bandicoot wrote:
[SNIP]

> > But it still won't be able to do the single most important
> > thing that a good assistant can provide: make a cup of
> > tea...
>
> Ever so right. Even tho I can still put the kettle on, make a > good
cuppa cwaffee, etc., it tastes better when made by
> caring hands.

Yep, I always appreciate especially those cups of tea made for me by the two
girls I know who never drink it themsleves (even if one of them doesn't make
it very well...)

Peter
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 11:52:26 AM

Chris Loffredo wrote:
> Skip M wrote:
> > "Chris Loffredo" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message

> >>Also having an Exakta, I can say it's not the same thing: You can't change
> >>from prism to WLF in a fraction of a second, not to mention the Exakta's
> >>prism is murky.
> >>
> >>Also, the Rolleiflexes have excellent center-weighted metering.
> >>
> >>"Old"... Right, new is always and exclusively better... D'oh!
> >

> > My Exacta's prism isn't murky, but it does take more that a second to change
> > prisms. But there is the "Sportfinder" option, not a good one, but an
> > option,all the same.
>
> Compared to other SLRs, I find my (various) Exakta prisms noticably
> darker. I even carried out some careful focussing tests, with the Harwix
> meter prism giving the most consistent (though not perfect) results.
> This is the main shortcoming in what I consider to be an otherwise
> wonderful camera!
>
> Sportfinder?!? WTF is that? I thought I knew all there was about the
> Exaktas (at least the main accessories). Do you mean the "Magnar"?
>
> > No, new is not always and exclusively better, but new is what I'm using, and
> > the Rolleiflex option you mention isn't really an option for me, now, is it?
> > I'd have to invest far more than the cost of the doodad described above to
> > get a body and a set of lenses that would let me do what I do now with my
> > Canon digital. And, since I have a full compliment of film cameras (in a
> > feeble attempt to keep this on topic) the redundancy of the Rolleis
> > increases. Like I said, the Rollei would be hard to mount on the viewfinder
> > of my 20D, and would look pretty funny, there, to boot!
> >

> As I explained in my other post, I get a bit touchy when (I think)
> people are putting down good older equipment.

You obviously do, with your ending comment on your earlier post here:
"But it's far more important to use what everyone else is using.."
Essentially saying that we're all playing follow the leader.

Rolleis were and are wonderful cameras, but aren't useful to me, or to
many others, these days. Nor are a host of other wonderful cameras. If
that makes me a sheep following the crowd, so be it. Your complement of
film cameras may well be like those of several people I know, people
who had pretty much quit using their Bronicas, Hasselblads, Rolleis,
and others, but who held on to them. A few wish they'd sold out
earlier, though down the road, the good film cameras still around will
be worth a considerable bit more than is the case today.

You judge people too harshly, methinks, and you judge groups by a very
few members. You really have to pick and choose here to find people
putting down film cameras, old or new.
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 1:14:35 PM

Skip M wrote:
> "Chris Loffredo" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message

>>>If I wanted an old, heavy, non metering, manual focus WLF film camera,
>>>all I'd have to do is dig my old Exactas out of the closet...
>>>

>>Also having an Exakta, I can say it's not the same thing: You can't change
>>from prism to WLF in a fraction of a second, not to mention the Exakta's
>>prism is murky.
>>
>>Also, the Rolleiflexes have excellent center-weighted metering.
>>
>>"Old"... Right, new is always and exclusively better... D'oh!
>

> My Exacta's prism isn't murky, but it does take more that a second to change
> prisms. But there is the "Sportfinder" option, not a good one, but an
> option,all the same.

Compared to other SLRs, I find my (various) Exakta prisms noticably
darker. I even carried out some careful focussing tests, with the Harwix
meter prism giving the most consistent (though not perfect) results.
This is the main shortcoming in what I consider to be an otherwise
wonderful camera!

Sportfinder?!? WTF is that? I thought I knew all there was about the
Exaktas (at least the main accessories). Do you mean the "Magnar"?

> No, new is not always and exclusively better, but new is what I'm using, and
> the Rolleiflex option you mention isn't really an option for me, now, is it?
> I'd have to invest far more than the cost of the doodad described above to
> get a body and a set of lenses that would let me do what I do now with my
> Canon digital. And, since I have a full compliment of film cameras (in a
> feeble attempt to keep this on topic) the redundancy of the Rolleis
> increases. Like I said, the Rollei would be hard to mount on the viewfinder
> of my 20D, and would look pretty funny, there, to boot!

As I explained in my other post, I get a bit touchy when (I think)
people are putting down good older equipment.
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 1:14:36 PM

> Skip M wrote:
>> "Chris Loffredo" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message

>>>Also having an Exakta, I can say it's not the same thing: You can't
>>>change from prism to WLF in a fraction of a second, not to mention the
>>>Exakta's prism is murky.
>>>
>>>Also, the Rolleiflexes have excellent center-weighted metering.
>>>
>>>"Old"... Right, new is always and exclusively better... D'oh!
>>

>> My Exacta's prism isn't murky, but it does take more that a second to
>> change prisms. But there is the "Sportfinder" option, not a good one,
>> but an option,all the same.
>
> Compared to other SLRs, I find my (various) Exakta prisms noticably
> darker. I even carried out some careful focussing tests, with the Harwix
> meter prism giving the most consistent (though not perfect) results.
> This is the main shortcoming in what I consider to be an otherwise
> wonderful camera!
>
> Sportfinder?!? WTF is that? I thought I knew all there was about the
> Exaktas (at least the main accessories). Do you mean the "Magnar"?

No, it's Exacta's term for that little window with the flip up cover on the
front and the little open square on the back of the WLF aluminum sides.
Nothing special.

>> No, new is not always and exclusively better, but new is what I'm using,
>> and the Rolleiflex option you mention isn't really an option for me, now,
>> is it? I'd have to invest far more than the cost of the doodad described
>> above to get a body and a set of lenses that would let me do what I do
>> now with my Canon digital. And, since I have a full compliment of film
>> cameras (in a feeble attempt to keep this on topic) the redundancy of the
>> Rolleis increases. Like I said, the Rollei would be hard to mount on the
>> viewfinder of my 20D, and would look pretty funny, there, to boot!
>>

> As I explained in my other post, I get a bit touchy when (I think) people
> are putting down good older equipment.

Nah, not me, everything has it's good points, even Sigma! ;-)

--
!