Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

When installing my Bluetooth software, the com ports that the software set
up are com 12,13,14, when I look at what the others are used for I find
nothing.

When I try to add a com port, the list shows me that com 3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11
are in use, but there are not.

How can I check and delete this ports?

Paul

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 20:14:52 +0100, "PR"
<paul.raeburn@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>When installing my Bluetooth software, the com ports that the software set
>up are com 12,13,14, when I look at what the others are used for I find
>nothing.
>
>When I try to add a com port, the list shows me that com 3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11
>are in use, but there are not.
>
>How can I check and delete this ports?

With your gizmo installed, go to device manager and open the
propertys of comport 12 and click on the advanced button. In the
lower left is the comport drop down that has comports 1 thru 256.
open the list and scroll up to the comport you want to use, like
3. It may say it is in use (you say it isn't), but just ignore
the conflict warning and chose ok. Do the same changing the
comport 13 to comport 4, and comport 14 to 5. XP has a flaw where
it assigns a new comport number to USB comport port devices each
time they are plugged in. I assume this is a USB based gizmo.