Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Printer suggestion

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 4:52:34 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

I'm about to purchase an Epson Stylus Photo R2400 printer ($850), or a Canon
i9900 ($450) does anyone has any experience with these units, or any
suggestions for a better photo printer in this price range (below 1K)?

Thanks

More about : printer suggestion

June 9, 2005 4:52:35 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Nino wrote:

> I'm about to purchase an Epson Stylus Photo R2400 printer ($850), or a
> Canon i9900 ($450) does anyone has any experience with these units, or any
> suggestions for a better photo printer in this price range (below 1K)?


I've got a i9900. The good points are it has a WIDE color gamut and is
capable of producing very nice vivid colored prints very quickly. It can
actually use most of aRGB and the ink tanks seem to last for quite a few
prints compared to other photo pronters I've used

.. The bad thing is the profiles that are supplied witrh it are junk or the
sample to sample variations are too great which I believe is the real
issue. Until I bought a custom profile from Cathy's, it produced
substandard prints IMHO, didn't even come close to matching my profiled
monitor which my older canon 8200 works fine with. The first one I got was
so far off in it's magenta cast, canon replaced it with another printer
(there service was excellent) which turned out to be much closer but was
still off some.

So figure the cost of profile(s) in the cost of the printer. I just picked
one paper, ilford classic pearl, had a profile made and am loving it.

--

Stacey
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 6:21:51 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

2nd hand Epson 7600

"Nino" <agiannotti@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
news:mpMpe.75018$VH2.26346@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
> I'm about to purchase an Epson Stylus Photo R2400 printer ($850), or a
> Canon i9900 ($450) does anyone has any experience with these units, or any
> suggestions for a better photo printer in this price range (below 1K)?
>
> Thanks
>
>
>
Related resources
June 9, 2005 8:43:15 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Learn from the mistakes of others:
Forgetting the technical issues regarding which printers clog or whatever,
my sad experience, which I don't think is unique, is that Canon has possibly
the world's worst implementation of color management in its driver software
of any inkjet manufacturer.
The supplied profiles for Canon's two surfaces (really matte and glossy
only) used with Canon's color management protocols yield prints that are off
color with only a randomly predictable relationship to a calibrated monitor.
Epson printers, particularly at the high end, are light years ahead of Canon
for use in an Adobe style color managed environment. Epson's canned profiles
for its several paper surface types in and of themselves will yield
reasonably accurate prints in just a monitor calibrated environment.
If you buy or make custom printer/paper profiles, e.g. using a Macbeth or
Monaco system, then the Canon printer may live up to its potential. Unless
you are prepared to do that I would stay away from Canon printers. I would
stay away from all high end printers, in fact, unless you are able to
implement some sort of hardware calibration . . . large off-color prints
get real expensive real fast.
June 9, 2005 8:33:25 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Nino wrote:
> I'm about to purchase an Epson Stylus Photo R2400 printer ($850), or a Canon
> i9900 ($450) does anyone has any experience with these units, or any
> suggestions for a better photo printer in this price range (below 1K)?
>
> Thanks
>

If full control of A3+ B&W prints are what you want, then a R2400 might
be just what you want - with a catch - that you will need to change
black ink cartridges when switching from matte to glossy papers. Not
sure if the 3pl minimum droplet size will have any visible detrimental
effect on colour vs the smaller droplet size of the R1800/i9900.
Otherwise look at Epson R1800 / Canon i9900/9950 / HP 8750.

Go to http://www.photo-i.co.uk

A full review of this printer is underway now, as well as a review
available on the HP 8750 and Epson R1800.

A very appropriate (and diplomatic) comment from that site:

"The thing that strikes me is just how good all the printers are. Canon
printers produce bold sharp pictures, HP printers produce vibrant
colours, Epson dye based printers produce lively colours and Epson
pigment printers produce subtle shades. Choosing which is the best
printer is like asking a mother to choose her favourite child. Each
printer has its own good points and depending on your style of
photography, you make your choice."
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 11:17:46 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Nino wrote:
> I'm about to purchase an Epson Stylus Photo R2400 printer ($850), or a Canon
> i9900 ($450) does anyone has any experience with these units, or any
> suggestions for a better photo printer in this price range (below 1K)?
>
> Thanks
>
>
>
I love the i9900. beats chemical prints to my eye. Can't really
comment on ink/paper longevity...yet. So far no apparent fading for the
prints I have framed and hung, but none are in direct sunlight, near the
elements etc. and none of the prints are more than six months old.
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 6:41:43 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Gambo <gambo2work@comcast.net> wrote:

> I love the i9900. beats chemical prints to my eye. Can't really
> comment on ink/paper longevity...yet. So far no apparent fading for the
> prints I have framed and hung, but none are in direct sunlight, near the
> elements etc. and none of the prints are more than six months old.
>
>

Ozone will kill them faster than anything else. They have a life of less
than 6 weeks in my somewhat ozone-rich work environment. The cyans and
blacks are most affected, both turn orange. Very orange.
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 6:41:44 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

I love my i9900 aquired a few weeks ago. Several prints looks great. No fade
yet. It took time to decide as I needed a printer that could go 13x19. Epson
from what I have read had too many head problems, but there again some never
did.
Price make me decide Canon was on sale, 100 off and I had a 50.00 coupon.
$350.00 not bad. Ink cost also better.



What would have a rich ozone environment to fade them.


"Bubbabob" <rnorton@_remove_this_thuntek.net> wrote in message
news:Xns9670D28942FF3dilfjelfoiwepofujsdk@216.168.3.30...
> Gambo <gambo2work@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> I love the i9900. beats chemical prints to my eye. Can't really
>> comment on ink/paper longevity...yet. So far no apparent fading for the
>> prints I have framed and hung, but none are in direct sunlight, near the
>> elements etc. and none of the prints are more than six months old.
>>
>>
>
> Ozone will kill them faster than anything else. They have a life of less
> than 6 weeks in my somewhat ozone-rich work environment. The cyans and
> blacks are most affected, both turn orange. Very orange.
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 8:21:32 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Frederick <nomailplease@nomail.com> wrote:

> Canon are aware of the real life limitations of dye - they are
> releasing pigment ink based professional printers. Also, given that
> the encapsulation of the dyestuff within the coating on the paper is
> going to be critical to the longevity of the print, I am surprised at
> the confidence many people seem to have in the expected longevity of
> their Canon dye inkjet prints on non OEM papers. Canon are about as
> likely to share the technology behind their ink/paper combinations
> with third party paper suppliers, as they have been to share the
> electronic technology of their lenses with Sigma.
>

Canon provides their new BCE-7 dye set with Japanese i9900 printers but
they refuse to sell it anywhere else. It's supposed to be much more
lightfast and ozone resistant.
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 12:35:47 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Just got an HP8450 and it rocks!...Completely. Never been so pleased with
the output from a photoprinter. Used Epson before with mixed results.
"Bubbabob" <rnorton@_remove_this_thuntek.net> wrote in message
news:Xns9671E377876B7dilfjelfoiwepofujsdk@216.168.3.30...
> Frederick <nomailplease@nomail.com> wrote:
>
>> Canon are aware of the real life limitations of dye - they are
>> releasing pigment ink based professional printers. Also, given that
>> the encapsulation of the dyestuff within the coating on the paper is
>> going to be critical to the longevity of the print, I am surprised at
>> the confidence many people seem to have in the expected longevity of
>> their Canon dye inkjet prints on non OEM papers. Canon are about as
>> likely to share the technology behind their ink/paper combinations
>> with third party paper suppliers, as they have been to share the
>> electronic technology of their lenses with Sigma.
>>
>
> Canon provides their new BCE-7 dye set with Japanese i9900 printers but
> they refuse to sell it anywhere else. It's supposed to be much more
> lightfast and ozone resistant.
>
July 10, 2005 6:36:12 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

I would suggest Epson R2400.

I am using Epson 4800 ink on R2400 through InkRepublic.com's R2400
CFS.

http://www.inkrepublic.com/ProductDetail.asp?item=R2400

I bought larger cartridge of 4800, extract ink from them, and fill
them into CFS' empty bottles.
!