Sign in with
Your question

Fractal Define R4 - GPU Noise/Cooling

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 11, 2012 12:03:34 AM

Hi, the build I am currently working on has a Fractal Design Define R4 case, and I am trying to determine what gtx 670 GPU to put in it to keep both the noise and the temperature to a minimum.

Should I go with a blower type card? (evga gtx 670 FTW)
Or should I use a dual or triple fan setup? (gigabyte or asus gtx 670s)

On the internetz I read that the blower design is good in a limited airflow case like the Define R4.

I don't know if that is true, especially when most reviews say that the dual/triple fans on the Gigabyte and Asus cards offer better cooling and less noise.

Thanks
November 14, 2012 11:42:25 PM

Great question, sigmasanti. I'm wondering the same thing: whether or not to go EVGA 670 FTW or MSI 670 PE in a R4.

It seems to me that the R4 would have plenty of airflow options, with two 140s in the front, a 140 in the bottom, and a 140 exhaust out the back. It looks as though the case has quite a bit of room to breathe inside, as long as the cables are nice and tidy. However, I'm pretty new to this.

Any thoughts or first-hand experience is very much appreciated.
m
l
November 22, 2012 12:04:43 AM

I ended up asking around in some iirc channels and ended up buying a Gigabyte 670 (the model with three fans).
The Gigabyte 670 is inaudible, and has not reached temperatures above 68 c, even under extended gpu testing with furmark.

I am using the default setup in the R4 with one 140 in the front and one 140 in the back, keep them on the 7v (mid) setting.

In conclusion it probably does not matter which you go with, the R4 seems to have enough airflow to keep my single card cool. I would stick a fan in the bottom slot if you wanted to use SLI though. Since you are paying a premium for the R4 you probably want to keep the noise down, therefore I would recommend the MSI in this situation (the Gigabyte 670 OC though has been great though, I recommend it).

My system specs if they are useful:
Fractal Design R4
Intel i7 3770K
Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO
8 gb G.Skill RAM
Gigabyte GTX 670 (GV-N670OC-2GD)
WD Caviar Black 1TB
Seasonic 550W

My only notes on this build are that the Evo 212 is noisy (relative to the case fans and the gtx 670) and that the WD Caviar Black is noticeably loud during periods of high activity. I have not had any problems with temperatures due to the reduced airflow in the R4, and it is a beautiful case.
m
l
Related resources
November 22, 2012 12:18:00 AM

Your follow up is VERY much appreciated, sigmasanti!

Enjoy your new rig!

Cheers.
m
l
November 23, 2012 12:54:25 AM

Happy to help, good luck on your build too.
m
l
!