Error code 43 when connecting USB IDE Drive

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.beta.help-and-support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I have taken delivery of a Dell Inspiron 8600

I cannot connect my USB 2 HDD without it reporting a buffer overload.

The drive works fine on my Advent USB 1

Is there a patch I need to solve this problem?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.beta.help-and-support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

The Dell System Software driver manages the Dell USB hubs. Make sure you've
got the latest Sys Softare installed, also try BIOS update.
Is the HDD externally powered?

--
HTH,
=d=

Dana Brash
MCSE, MCDBA, MCSA

dbrash@gmail.com

"Ian Johnson" <johnson58@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>I have taken delivery of a Dell Inspiron 8600
>
> I cannot connect my USB 2 HDD without it reporting a buffer overload.
>
> The drive works fine on my Advent USB 1
>
> Is there a patch I need to solve this problem?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.beta.help-and-support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

The USB HDD is internally powered.
"Dana Brash" <dbrash@gmail.com> wrote in message
> The Dell System Software driver manages the Dell USB hubs. Make sure
> you've got the latest Sys Softare installed, also try BIOS update.
> Is the HDD externally powered?
>
> --
> HTH,
> =d=
>

> Dana Brash
> MCSE, MCDBA, MCSA
>
> dbrash@gmail.com
>
> "Ian Johnson" <johnson58@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>>I have taken delivery of a Dell Inspiron 8600
>>
>> I cannot connect my USB 2 HDD without it reporting a buffer overload.
>>
>> The drive works fine on my Advent USB 1
>>
>> Is there a patch I need to solve this problem?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.beta.help-and-support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi Ian,

Can you try plugging it into an externally powered USB 2 Hub then?
Sometimes if the device is underpowered you'll get errors.

You'll still want to confirm you have the latest drivers/updates too.

--

> The USB HDD is internally powered.
> "Dana Brash" <dbrash@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> The Dell System Software driver manages the Dell USB hubs. Make sure
>> you've got the latest Sys Softare installed, also try BIOS update.
>> Is the HDD externally powered?
>>
>> --
>> HTH,
>> =d=
>>

>> Dana Brash
>> MCSE, MCDBA, MCSA
>>
>> dbrash@gmail.com
>>
>> "Ian Johnson" <johnson58@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>>>I have taken delivery of a Dell Inspiron 8600
>>>
>>> I cannot connect my USB 2 HDD without it reporting a buffer overload.
>>>
>>> The drive works fine on my Advent USB 1
>>>
>>> Is there a patch I need to solve this problem?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.beta.help-and-support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)