Which card?

I am going to be getting a new graphics card in the next month or so. I am pkanning on spending about 230ish dollars. What card would you recommend? I have been looking at the gtx 660 as i have always had geforce cards without problems. What do you think?

Current rig:

Amd fx 4100 at 4.6 ghz
2x4gb ddr3 gskill 1600
Msi mobo that i know will support sli not sure on xfire will check in the am. I oaid extra for a good mobo but i firgst the modle right now
Gtx 285 1gb
550 or higher psu. Will check this in the am too.
Aoc 23 inch monitor

I want to be able to play new games at the highest detail at 1920 res. Newer games im most interested in would be rome 2 total war and the new sim city comming out next year
14 answers Last reply
More about which card
  1. The 660 is a good choice i say go for it
  2. The 660 i'd get - the only AMD card that compares is a 7870, that has a higher power usage and the nVidia drivers are better etc etc ;)
    Better than a 560 ti, and close to, if not level with a 570, you won't go wrong!
  3. Do you think i will be able to max out the newer games
  4. Definitely, GTX 660 gets 40-50fps average maxed out on Battlefield 3.
    Hope this helps!
  5. Do you have a good site to view gaming benchmarks for the vid cards?
  6. Hmm, well www.hwcompare.com compares specs of them but doesn't show real performance, Tom's do some decent ones, www.anandtech.com do some, youtube is actually really good.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-660-geforce-gtx-650-benchmark,3297-7.html
    That shows GTX 650 to 660 ti with all the cards inbetween including Radeons, look at the third graph down.
  7. I'd get a 7870 over a 660 anytime.
  8. co0ldown said:
    I'd get a 7870 over a 660 anytime.

I'd get a 660, lower TDP, similar performance, and has better drivers.

I'd only get a 7870 as it'd handle multi-monitor display setups better.
  9. Similar performance, lol'd.
    Better drivers? what. Only when doing dual gpu setups dude.
    1 $ extra a year, WOW.
  10. Even check, real world performance anywhere shows that a 660 levels with a 7870. Take the gtx 660 ti, that beats the 7950 and can surpass the 7970 with overclocking, especially the MSI power edition with overvoltage.
    7970 = AMDs top card
    GTX 680 = Nv's top card

The gtx 670 beats down on the 7970 unless you go into multi-monitor but even then the fact is obvious.

Nvidia's 2nd best single GPU card beats AMD's BEST single GPU card.

Go figure.
  11. calumconroy said:
    The 660 i'd get - the only AMD card that compares is a 7870, that has a higher power usage and the nVidia drivers are better etc etc ;)
    Better than a 560 ti, and close to, if not level with a 570, you won't go wrong!

GTX 570?? Don't you mean GTX 580?

Get your facts right, mate!

http://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-660/performance
  12. lostgamer_03 said:
    GTX 570?? Don't you mean GTX 580?

Get your facts right, mate!

http://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-660/performance

Yeah sorry, i meant the 580 xD only problem with that graph is that nVidia put bias on thier own graphs to sway you towards thier more expensive, newer cards.
  13. My mobo is a msi 990xa-gd55
    I forgot i uogrades to a 750 watt psu earlier this year too so tbat wont be probken
  14. Okay then a 990x mobo means good compatability.
    I think nVidia's better but people would disagree, its up to you.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics