Sign in with
Your question

AMD hd 6850 cant turn on phys x

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
November 11, 2012 10:27:25 AM

Hi folks,
I recently installed windows 7 for my son, his pc has intel i5 760 cpu and radeon hd6850 1024mb, the mobo is asus p7h55-m SI and he has 4g of corsair ddr3 ram. Our problem occured after a fresh insatall of win 7 before hand he had been playing Bordelands 2 with his monitor pluggeg into the mobo and he could enable the phys x feature after the install we cannot connect to the mobo (the monitor wont respond) only the amd card. When connected to the GPU the monitor works fine we got the latest catalyst suite with the latest drivers included for his GPU and the game works fine but he cannot put the phys x on it is blacked out on the options screen. Any help would be great coz im getting it in the ear of the young fella as he wants this bloody phys x thing on. Cheers Jonathan.

More about : amd 6850 turn phys

a b C Monitor
November 11, 2012 10:35:39 AM

physX is an nVidia technology. You cannot run PhysX on an AMD card. There are ways to install a 2nd GPU from nVidia (like an old 8800GT), and mod the drivers to enable physX, but this is not exactly a straight forward process, and will not work with all setups. If you want/need physX (which is awesome with Boarderlands 2) then the best thing to do would be to get the proper GPU that supports it.
a b C Monitor
November 11, 2012 10:38:55 AM

PhysX is only available on Nvidia graphic card..

so new card is needed. (nvi ones) to replace your HD 6850..

edit: about the hybrid physX (Amd gpu + nv physX card) it not advised

it only able to hacked old version of physX.... (my setup is hybrid)
nvi cleverly made new game use newer ver of physX only so the game may not work in hybrid setup...
do not know if the borderland2 is among those games (had not test it....)
Related resources
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
November 11, 2012 5:14:01 PM

Cheers for the replies guys, but I have worked around it by changing one of the ini. files to enable the phys x for him from info I found on the net. All seems to be well now thanks.
a b C Monitor
November 12, 2012 12:32:56 AM

curious... physx is literally an instruction set on the GPU which AMD cards simply do not have. perhaps you are running emulated via the CPU? or perhaps the option turns on, but does not really do anything?
a b C Monitor
November 12, 2012 12:38:05 AM

^+1.....

there was physX that use CPU than GPU, but borderland2 use gpu....
November 12, 2012 4:54:44 AM

I think I saw a video or 2 showing Borderlands 2 PhysX running on an AMD card. Not the best performance though. :D 
a c 123 C Monitor
November 12, 2012 5:19:44 AM

PhysX can be used on the CPU or GPU, but sometimes games limit the use of some PhysX effects to only work when it can be run on the GPU. AMD cards cannot run PhysX on the GPU, but if it can be run on the CPU, then there is no restrictions. The only problem is that the CPU is not as fast at doing PhysX as an Nvidia GPU is.

Borderlands 2 falls under the category of not allowing for advanced PhysX effects on the CPU, unless you change the .ini file, as the OP found.
November 12, 2012 5:33:59 AM

If every game that supports PhysX has a .ini file, then every GPU can support it
a c 123 C Monitor
November 12, 2012 5:35:47 AM

themegadinesen said:
If every game that supports PhysX has a .ini file, then every GPU can support it

Only Nvidia cards support GPU accelerated PhysX. AMD cards do not support PhysX. What you fail to understand is if the GPU does not run PhysX, it can be run on the CPU and every computer has a CPU. And no, not every game with a .ini file can turn PhysX on for the CPU. That is determined by the developers.
November 12, 2012 5:43:54 AM

Quote:
That is determined by the developers.

That is all I wanted to see.
a b C Monitor
November 12, 2012 10:34:29 AM

Can anyone confirm that physX on borderland2 that running via CPU (.ini hack) is the same with enabled on nvi card (not just some deface on game option).

it good for future reference...
a c 123 C Monitor
November 12, 2012 1:23:30 PM

rdc85 said:
Can anyone confirm that physX on borderland2 that running via CPU (.ini hack) is the same with enabled on nvi card (not just some deface on game option).

it good for future reference...

I've seen other posts on this. BigMack has right after release. If your CPU is fast enough, it can actually run well, without loss of any effects.

However, how well a CPU can handle PhysX depends on how much it is used. PhysX will have different penalties depending on how much the game uses it.
November 12, 2012 2:02:34 PM

BL2 physx effects are not demanding when u first play it for like 2 hours.Then when you progress further you really see some advanced physx stuff.So yeah if someone says, he can run it off cpu must have just started playing it.When he plays more then he will get unplayable framerate.
!