Hey, I have a big problem with my resolution since yesterday.
The setup I had is:
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
Amd Phenom 2x4 Zosma (3000 Mhz)
MSI 880GMS-E35 motherboard
ATI Radeon HD6670 (2GB) + ATI Radeon HD4250 (onboard)
8 GB DDR3 / 1333MHZ
Horizon 2004LW5 LCD monitor with 1600x900 native resolution and a VGA cable (flawless so far after 3.5 years with no dead pixels).
Latest video driver ofc
The HD6670 is the newest bit, got it a few months ago and it worked perfectly until yesterday at 1600*900 32 bit.
Then I shut down the computer, sleep for a bit, turn it on, and the resolution is horribly stretched as if it were a 16:9 resolution on a 4:3 monitor without trying to fit! There is a narrow black bar on top and about a fifth of my desktop doesn't show up on the left hand side (obscuring the start button and the first few items in the taskbar) as well as a narrow strip on the right, obscuring about half the system clock.
Every other resolution seems to work well. I'm currently forced to run 1366*768 which looks huge and hideous after so much time (almost a year) on 1600*900 with the HD4250 and HD6670 after that. I can barely suffer to surf the net like this, never mind gaming or heavy reading/writing
Note that my monitor doesn't allow me to change the image's height and width to force it into compliance and if it did they probably wouldn't go that far.
Things I've tried:
- Reinstalling my drivers (about 10 times including twice after finally updating Windows to Service Pack 1)
- Fiddling with the Vision Engine control centre (which doesn't have any option regarding aspect ratio for vga monitors)
-- Disabled EDID and set the max resolution allowed to 1600*900 (it sometimes turns it back on and to 1600*1200) when restarting
- Unplugged and replugged the VGA cable from the GFX card as well as turning the monitor off and back on
- Fiddled endlessly with the monitor's own settings but found nothing of use
- Changed around the monitor's own "driver" settings in Windows
The thing that irritates me the most is that it could work before but now I can't get it back! It's the one resolution I use out of 15-something options and it's the only one that won't work. I can't stay on 1366*768 on this screen if I want to keep my eyes. Any thoughts?