It's that time of year again...

Last response: in Digital Camera
June 10, 2005 10:44:48 AM

Surprisingly, A whole year has passed since June last year and I have yet to
see a truly memorable photograph from anyone I know. OK so it's also tax
time in the great Australian dream land. I can spend up to $1000 AUD per
item for my photographic gear and get a 100% tax write off (basically get it
for nothing) this year.

Tragedy strikes...
Not a single DSLR is priced under a grand.
Not even an EOS 3 body is under a grand.
Not a single "L" series lens is priced under a grand.
Not a decent studio flash is priced under a grand.

Bugger!
Bugger!
Bugger!

Oh well, I guess a Dye Sublimation printer for one of my new print kiosks is
about all I can buy and get the tax benefit. The Government really ought to
do some homework on the cost of toys before blindly introducing benefits to
the peons who elected them.

Douglas

More about : time year

Anonymous
June 10, 2005 10:44:49 AM

Ryadia@home wrote:

> Surprisingly, A whole year has passed since June last year and I have yet to
> see a truly memorable photograph from anyone I know. OK so it's also tax
> time in the great Australian dream land. I can spend up to $1000 AUD per
> item for my photographic gear and get a 100% tax write off (basically get it
> for nothing) this year.

That's exceedingly generous of your government.

Unlimited number of items?

> Tragedy strikes...
> Not a single DSLR is priced under a grand.
> Not even an EOS 3 body is under a grand.
> Not a single "L" series lens is priced under a grand.
> Not a decent studio flash is priced under a grand.

Accessory Flash (Such as 580EX)
Light boom stand
Product shooting table
Softbox (kit with a couple softboxes, grids, masks...)
incident/spot available light/flash meter
Studio stand

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 10:44:49 AM

Ryadia@home wrote:
> Surprisingly, A whole year has passed since June last year and I have
> yet to see a truly memorable photograph from anyone I know. OK so
> it's also tax time in the great Australian dream land. I can spend up
> to $1000 AUD per item for my photographic gear and get a 100% tax
> write off (basically get it for nothing) this year.

A carry-anywhere camera - Panasonic FZ5, Nikon 8400?

A portable storage device with viewer - Epson P-2000?

David
June 10, 2005 2:14:26 PM

David J Taylor wrote:

> Normally, we just pop CF and SD cards into the P2000 and download them -
> that way it avoids the need for a laptop.

That's cool! For the avoidance of doubt, could you confirm the process:

-you pop your card from the camera .. put it into the P2000 CF port
-the P2000 can then be commanded to copy the CF Card to the P2000 hard disk?

-Can the CF card files be erases from the P2000?

Do you know of any devices that are lower price that just do the data
storage without much in the way of a display?

Cheers,
Alan

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 3:12:09 PM

On 10/06/2005 10:14 AM, Alan Browne wrote:

> Do you know of any devices that are lower price that just do the data
> storage without much in the way of a display?

There's lots, just poke around on the B&H Web site. The P-2000 is up
near the top in terms of display, but there are other less expensive
pure storage devices. Typical capacities are 20-40GB and up. For my
purposes, 20GB is plenty. It lasts me through a 4-week backcountry canoe
trip (with the caveat that I'm an explorer more than I am a
photographer). I shoot some raw, more jpeg, and I can store thousands of
images in 20GB with my typical mix. Some (most?) will also function as
an MP3 player and FM radio. Some also have built-in capabilities to
connect to a TV if you want to use 'em as a portable 'slide projector'.
I use solar to recharge in the backcountry so battery life is not
usually an issue for me. This is the one I use:

http://www.jobodigital.com/products/giga_mini.htm
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 3:21:58 PM

"Ryadia@home" <ryadia@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Oh well, I guess a Dye Sublimation printer for one of my new print kiosks
is
> about all I can buy and get the tax benefit. The Government really ought
> do some homework on the cost of toys before blindly introducing benefits
> the peons who elected them.
>
> Douglas

You can get a decent size dye sub for under a grand? Details please?

--
Jeff R.
Anonymous

Alan Browne wrote:
> Ryadia@home wrote:
>
>> Surprisingly, A whole year has passed since June last year and I have
>> yet to see a truly memorable photograph from anyone I know. OK so it's
>> also tax time in the great Australian dream land. I can spend up to
>> $1000 AUD per item for my photographic gear and get a 100% tax write
>> off (basically get it for nothing) this year.
>

> That's exceedingly generous of your government.
>
> Unlimited number of items?
>
>> Tragedy strikes...
>> Not a single DSLR is priced under a grand.
>> Not even an EOS 3 body is under a grand.
>> Not a single "L" series lens is priced under a grand.
>> Not a decent studio flash is priced under a grand.
>

> Accessory Flash (Such as 580EX)
> Light boom stand
> Product shooting table
> Softbox (kit with a couple softboxes, grids, masks...)
> incident/spot available light/flash meter
> Studio stand

Ho hum... Have all of them.

Douglas
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 4:43:17 PM

Jeff R wrote:
> "Ryadia@home" <ryadia@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Oh well, I guess a Dye Sublimation printer for one of my new print kiosks
>
> is
>
>>about all I can buy and get the tax benefit. The Government really ought

>>do some homework on the cost of toys before blindly introducing benefits

>>the peons who elected them.
>>
>>Douglas
>>

> You can get a decent size dye sub for under a grand? Details please?
>
> --
> Jeff R.

Well now I've rung around... Cross that one off too!
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 5:41:35 PM

"Ryadia" <ryadia@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Jeff R wrote:
> >
> > You can get a decent size dye sub for under a grand? Details please?
> >
> > --
> > Jeff R.
> >

> Well now I've rung around... Cross that one off too!

Phew.
I feel better now.

(Making do with a Canon CP-220 for snapshots)

--
Jeff R.
Anonymous

Alan Browne wrote:
> David J Taylor wrote:
>

>> Normally, we just pop CF and SD cards into the P2000 and download
>> them - that way it avoids the need for a laptop.
>
> That's cool! For the avoidance of doubt, could you confirm the
> process:
> -you pop your card from the camera .. put it into the P2000 CF port
> -the P2000 can then be commanded to copy the CF Card to the P2000
> hard disk?

Correct. The card contents are transferred to directories for each
transfer operation, so that you have unique direcorty names.

> -Can the CF card files be erases from the P2000?

Yes, either by single file or directory. If you are on a multi-day trip,
when today's photos are uploaded you can erase yesterday's or whatever.

> Do you know of any devices that are lower price that just do the data
> storage without much in the way of a display?

Yes, there are such devices, Alan, but I've not played with any. We
wanted something where you could check the pictures form the camera (to
determine correct functioning of the camera), and to use as a slide-show
device.

Cheers,
David
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 7:12:15 PM

Ryadia <ryadia@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Alan Browne wrote:
>> Ryadia@home wrote:
>>
>>> Surprisingly, A whole year has passed since June last year and I have
>>> yet to see a truly memorable photograph from anyone I know. OK so it's
>>> also tax time in the great Australian dream land. I can spend up to
>>> $1000 AUD per item for my photographic gear and get a 100% tax write
>>> off (basically get it for nothing) this year.
>>

>> That's exceedingly generous of your government.
>>
>> Unlimited number of items?
>>
>>> Tragedy strikes...
>>> Not a single DSLR is priced under a grand.
>>> Not even an EOS 3 body is under a grand.
>>> Not a single "L" series lens is priced under a grand.
>>> Not a decent studio flash is priced under a grand.
>>

>> Accessory Flash (Such as 580EX)
>> Light boom stand
>> Product shooting table
>> Softbox (kit with a couple softboxes, grids, masks...)
>> incident/spot available light/flash meter
>> Studio stand
>>
>Ho hum... Have all of them.

How about an iPod Photo?

Music while you work ...

;-)
June 11, 2005 1:02:09 AM

Ryadia@home wrote:
> Surprisingly, A whole year has passed since June last year and I have yet to
> see a truly memorable photograph from anyone I know. OK so it's also tax
> time in the great Australian dream land. I can spend up to $1000 AUD per
> item for my photographic gear and get a 100% tax write off (basically get it
> for nothing) this year.
>
> Tragedy strikes...
> Not a single DSLR is priced under a grand.
> Not even an EOS 3 body is under a grand.
> Not a single "L" series lens is priced under a grand.
> Not a decent studio flash is priced under a grand.
>
> Bugger!
> Bugger!
> Bugger!
>
> Oh well, I guess a Dye Sublimation printer for one of my new print kiosks is
> about all I can buy and get the tax benefit. The Government really ought to
> do some homework on the cost of toys before blindly introducing benefits to
> the peons who elected them.
>
> Douglas

Don't you have a friendly camera shop proprietor who will see you a dslr
body for $999.99, add a few dollars on to a lens price, and give you
separate invoices - or are the ATO smarter than they were when I lived
in Aussie?
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 1:18:25 AM

"Frederick" <nomailplease@nomail.com> wrote in message

> Don't you have a friendly camera shop proprietor who will see you a dslr
> body for $999.99, add a few dollars on to a lens price, and give you
> separate invoices - or are the ATO smarter than they were when I lived in
> Aussie?
-------------

Tut, tut now Frederick... Ethics prevail always here.
I had a tiny bit of a spend up today... Go mad on Monday (perhaps!)
I bought a FZ20 Panasonic $860 AUD down from over a grand a few months ago
and an Olympus Dye sub printer for $180 AUD along with some hardware I never
knew I needed!

Oh God, I love depriving the tax man - legally.
I may take advantage of a loop hole and buy a Kodak A4 size dye sub in 3
instalments to get the individual purchase segments under $1000 each. We
wait on the accountant to agree and just maybe this would be a good way to
but a new "L" series I've been considering. My supplier is agreeable if it's
decided to be legal.

Anyway, the little Oly dye sub printer is a treat and a half. It prints
direct from the camera (20D and FZ20 so far), no PC needed. Real photographs
in an instant! The FZ will work wonders inside a church with the image
stabilizer and no shutter slap to scare the pigeons and priests!

The real bargain of the day was a EOS 5 in mint condition for $200 AUD.
There's one going on EBay as I write which is up to $380. I thought I might
explore my theory that as the ISO rises in a 20D the resolving power of the
sensor reduces until it simply doesn't record fine detail any more. It's
getting close to my annual pilgrimage to the Pelican breeding grounds. What
better way to test the theory?

Douglas
June 11, 2005 1:18:26 AM

> "Frederick" <nomailplease@nomail.com> wrote in message
>

>> Don't you have a friendly camera shop proprietor who will see you a dslr
>> body for $999.99, add a few dollars on to a lens price, and give you
>> separate invoices - or are the ATO smarter than they were when I lived in
>> Aussie?
> -------------
>
> Tut, tut now Frederick... Ethics prevail always here.

Well, if ethics are prevailing, I'd better not even suggest buying better
politicians. <g>

> I had a tiny bit of a spend up today... Go mad on Monday (perhaps!)
> I bought a FZ20 Panasonic $860 AUD down from over a grand a few months ago
> and an Olympus Dye sub printer for $180 AUD along with some hardware I
> never knew I needed!
>
> Oh God, I love depriving the tax man - legally.
> I may take advantage of a loop hole and buy a Kodak A4 size dye sub in 3
> instalments to get the individual purchase segments under $1000 each. We
> wait on the accountant to agree and just maybe this would be a good way to
> but a new "L" series I've been considering. My supplier is agreeable if
> it's decided to be legal.
>
> Anyway, the little Oly dye sub printer is a treat and a half. It prints
> direct from the camera (20D and FZ20 so far), no PC needed. Real
> photographs in an instant! The FZ will work wonders inside a church with
> the image stabilizer and no shutter slap to scare the pigeons and priests!
>
> The real bargain of the day was a EOS 5 in mint condition for $200 AUD.
> There's one going on EBay as I write which is up to $380. I thought I
> might explore my theory that as the ISO rises in a 20D the resolving power
> of the sensor reduces until it simply doesn't record fine detail any more.
> It's getting close to my annual pilgrimage to the Pelican breeding
> grounds. What better way to test the theory?
>
> Douglas

June 11, 2005 1:18:27 AM

"Alan Browne" <alan.browne@FreelunchVideotron.ca> wrote in message
news:D 8c06i$p0e$1@inews.gazeta.pl...
> Ryadia@home wrote:
>
>> getting close to my annual pilgrimage to the Pelican breeding grounds.
>

> I was wondering how you you propagated. ;-)

ROFLMAO

> -- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 8:54:14 PM

Alan Browne wrote:

> David J Taylor wrote:
>
> > Normally, we just pop CF and SD cards into the P2000 and download them -
> > that way it avoids the need for a laptop.
>
> That's cool! For the avoidance of doubt, could you confirm the process:
>
> -you pop your card from the camera .. put it into the P2000 CF port
> -the P2000 can then be commanded to copy the CF Card to the P2000 hard disk?
>
> -Can the CF card files be erases from the P2000?
>
> Do you know of any devices that are lower price that just do the data
> storage without much in the way of a display?

I use a portable unit with a 40GB laptop hard drive and card reader
slots for this purpose. , a thing called a Vosonic X's. Don't ask me
about the 'X's', it's their logo. The model I have is a VP6210. I don't
think it erases cards, but in any case I prefer to do that in the
camera. I don't erase files, though, I reformat the card via the camera
menu - it's quicker and I think safer.

Have a look at:

http://www.xs-drive.com/

Colin
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 8:54:15 PM

> Alan Browne wrote:
[]
>> -Can the CF card files be erased from the P2000?

I don't know - I would /always/ do that in the camera as it only takes a
second.

Cheers,
David
!