Closed Solved

Dell XPS 8300. 460w PSU. Will it handle a GTX 660 Ti?

Hey guys. I have a dell XPS 8300 that came with a HD6770. Being that I am into the latest games, I am planning to upgrade the gpu this week with probably the MSI PE 660 Ti. The minimum PSU requirement is 450w. Mine is rated 460w, and has 2 six-pin connectors so I should be fine there. What I am worried about though is these gpus are overclocked from the factory. I haven't quite decided on the maker I'm going with yet. MSI or possibly EVGA(FTW model).

Will the PSU handle this card at least until I can upgrade the power supply to say 650w or so? I have no intentions of running SLI, don't even think the dell mobo supports it. I can probably upgrade the PSU within the next month or two tops. I've also heard that the dell psus are actually pretty decent and are under-rated in wattage(although I don't know if I should believe that). If it'll be fine for the time being until I upgrade the power supply, let me know so I can pull the trigger on the new card!

Thanks all.
3 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about dell 8300 460w handle
  1. Best answer
  2. That is awesome then. Will purchase from newegg today then. Just have to decide which company to go with, but I am leading towards the MSI PE(the one guru3d tested) heavily at this point. It just seems really nice all around, and I love how cool they stay with the twin frozr configuration. The ASUS Direct CU II Top is also an option but slightly more expensive. I thought about EVGA but I really don't like their reference like design with the single small fan. Plus both the MSI and ASUS have faster clocks from factory, and I don't plan on overclocking the card any further than what they push it too...simply because I know I am skirting what is acceptable as far as the psu rating.. but if they are saying 300 or so wattage is full system load, I do have a slight bit more headroom than I was expecting. We'll see.

Thanks for a timely answer.
  3. Best answer selected by KField86.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Dell Studio Xps Power Supplies Graphics