Hd 7850 vs gtx 660

whats better $229 gtx 660 or $218 hd 7850 or his hd 7850 $199

my specs

i5 3470

asrock h77-pro4-mvp motherboard

corsair cx 600 w psu
36 answers Last reply
More about 7850
  1. GTX 660 has the best performance, don't let anyone fool you. :)
  2. so u think a gtx 660 beacuse i was learning to amd but i had a nvidia card and nvidia is a good brand
  3. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum1.php?config=tomshardwareus.inc

    You seem to have a thread open for every single video card on the market. Whats up with that?
  4. im in a price range of 230 dollars
  5. As it is right now the GTX 600-series has all the newest Technologies (FXAA, TXAA, Boost). The AMD series doesn't have any of those. The GTX 660 also surpasses AMD 7850 in performance.

    You can turn FXAA on in some games if you have an AMD Card, but Nvidia can in almost every game.

    AMD can't support TXAA at all, it's a Nvidia thing - Just like physx.

    The GTX 660 has boost, which Means it overclocks itself. I got the GTX 660 and when gaming it goes from 980 mHz to 1110.5 MHz.

    The performance of the GTX 660 is on par with 7870 and GTX 580.

    I would recommend the reference cooling design by Nvidia. It will have decent temperatures in every Tower. While other cooling solutions will be bad in some cases.
  6. with the gainward card is it good
  7. They are pretty much equal. You can pick a 7850 for $175. The difference is too little to be worth $55

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150617

    and you get a free game
  8. ah i live in australia
  9. songorocosongo said:
    They are pretty much equal. You can pick a 7850 for $175. The difference is too little to be worth $55

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150617

    and you get a free game


    They are not equal at all! You don't seem to know what you're talking about. :)
  10. Then, it depends on the games you wanna play. I bought the 660 because it's better on BF3 and that's pretty much the only game I play, and it's even better than the 7870. But here you got a link with a few benchmarks so you can decide.

    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-660-geforce-gtx-650-benchmark,3297.html
  11. lostgamer_03 said:
    They are not equal at all! You don't seem to know what you're talking about. :)

    I own the 660. just look down :pt1cable:
  12. well i play gta 4 bf3 mafia 2 l4d2 css and getting sleeping dogs
  13. songorocosongo said:
    I own the 660. just look down :pt1cable:


    Yea I agree with songorocosn, 660 rules, dominates the 7850 - It gets 20 or more fps in battlefield over the 7850, and has similar performance to a 7870.
    It's a no-brainer.
  14. or i can get a his hd 7850 2gb for $199 and i just found out they dont have any gtx 660 in stock for a month and all the other and out of my range and hd 7870 i found is 249 dollars

    http://www.ple.com.au/ViewItem.aspx?InventoryItemID=609415&CategoryID=259
  15. HIS cards aren't the best, but a 660 dominates a 7850 anywhere, any brand, any game - its not worth it, get a 660!
  16. EVGA, ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI, all great brands.
  17. hey about sapphire hd 7850
  18. Uh what about it? Sapphires a decent brand.
  19. Yea i meant 660 brands, sapphire is one of the best 7850 brands but like i say 660>7850
  20. no i mean hd 7850 with the new amd drivers is still better than gtx 570
  21. Get a Sapphire HD 7850. you wont regret it. The 660 may be better in some games but that does not mean the 7850 is not worth it. I had a sapphire 6850, now my brother uses it, and no problems so far.
  22. skitz9417 said:


    Go for it! I checked it on newegg and it's at the same price with many good reviews.
    here's the link so you can read the feedback http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161406
  23. i guess there a another person using the same res as me 1280x1024 and with my cpu it will be a beast for my system
  24. skitz9417 said:
    whats better $229 gtx 660 or $218 hd 7850 or his hd 7850 $199

    ignore the nvidia fanboy
    the 7850 has a much better base performance with a way higher overclock cieling
  25. lostgamer_03 said:
    As it is right now the GTX 600-series has all the newest Technologies (FXAA, TXAA, Boost). The AMD series doesn't have any of those. The GTX 660 also surpasses AMD 7850 in performance.

    You can turn FXAA on in some games if you have an AMD Card, but Nvidia can in almost every game.

    AMD can't support TXAA at all, it's a Nvidia thing - Just like physx.

    The GTX 660 has boost, which Means it overclocks itself. I got the GTX 660 and when gaming it goes from 980 mHz to 1110.5 MHz.

    The performance of the GTX 660 is on par with 7870 and GTX 580.

    I would recommend the reference cooling design by Nvidia. It will have decent temperatures in every Tower. While other cooling solutions will be bad in some cases.

    1. AMD 7850 is better performing than the 660
    2. AMD can use physx
    3. AMD cards can be overclocked in CCC
    4. the GTX660 is on par with the 7850 and the 660ti is on par with the 7870
  26. i own a pair of saphire radeon HD4850's now and i will tell you the 660 is a better choice.. i love my amd card, but the 660 does perform a bit better than the 7850, but that's not even the main reason i recommend it. i like the cooling much better. my amd card has heat pipes and keeps the card very cool, but the heat is dissipated into the inside of the case. the 660 uses a squirrel cage style cooling that acts as a slot cooler and forces the heat from the card out of the case. this will greatly reduce heat inside the case. this is noticed even more when you utilized 2 cards in xfire or sli. my cards still perform very well, but i too am looking at getting the 660 to replace them.. i have done research and the 7850 performs near the GTX660, but not quite but for me the cooling is what makes it the clear choice.
  27. rickg70 said:
    i own a pair of saphire radeon HD4850's now and i will tell you the 660 is a better choice.. i love my amd card, but the 660 does perform a bit better than the 7850, but that's not even the main reason i recommend it. i like the cooling much better. my amd card has heat pipes and keeps the card very cool, but the heat is dissipated into the inside of the case. the 660 uses a squirrel cage style cooling that acts as a slot cooler and forces the heat from the card out of the case. this will greatly reduce heat inside the case. this is noticed even more when you utilized 2 cards in xfire or sli. my cards still perform very well, but i too am looking at getting the 660 to replace them.. i have done research and the 7850 performs near the GTX660, but not quite but for me the cooling is what makes it the clear choice.


    I think what you are referring to is simply a stock cooler. Those don't really perform all that well and are usually decently noisy.
  28. i have changed my specs now i have a phemon x4 955be @3.8ghz
    and hd 6950 1gb so hd 7870 or gtx 660
  29. skitz9417 said:
    i have changed my specs now i have a phemon x4 955be @3.8ghz
    and hd 6950 1gb so hd 7870 or gtx 660


    Neither really. The performance increases wouldn't be worth the money spent.
  30. ok then thanks
  31. basically, the performance and pricing of N660 cards is little higher than HD7850. no doubt. if you have 230 dollars, Sapphire HD7850 2Gb and Gigabyte HD7850 OC can meet your budget. the former has 2GB memory when the latter one is pre-overclocked card. it's hard to say which one is best.

    http://community.futuremark.com/hardware/gpu/AMD+Radeon+HD+7750/review
  32. so what does that mean
  33. http://www.hwcompare.com/13141/geforce-gtx-660-ti-vs-radeon-hd-7850/

    it seems they are equal and they are both have the same memory bandwidth GTX660 has 192bit and HD7850 have 256bit. well if they're both competitive i more likely goes with the much cheaper one.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gtx HD Intel i5 Graphics