*UPDATE* SB AUDIGY/IRQ DILEMMA

G

Well i bit more than one bullet. I went and got the SB Audigy Gamer PCI from BestBuy for $79 (had a $20 REBATE). Then after installing it in Win98 (SR-1), I find that SE is needed to take advantage of the Firewire.

But dont let me get ahead of myself. Remember the situation, Audigy going to share a Hard-Wired IRQ with onboard USB, because i kept the 3Com PCI Nic in there, and took the AWE32/64 Out.

Well it installed fine, and the software was ok. But I did get 2 BSOD's on Software install, and shutdown.

So i said screw it, and Went to XP PROFESSIONAL. Seemless upgrade from 98, and i have to say the Audigy (after I upgraded to the XP Drivers from Creative), was working perfectly.

It still shares and IRQ with the USB, but since my sh*tty webcam is not XP compatable, the only USB devices I have is a logitech wheel, gamepad, and memory card reader for my HP camera, which i will have to test tonight.

All the sounds, midi, EAX, everything working perfectly. Now the test will be will they work perfectly say when i am playing Nascar 4 with all the sound and my USB wheel plugged in..... Will know later on.

But again, thanks to Fatburger and everyone who gave me advice on which board to get and the road ahead.

FatBurger

Illustrious
1. You ask a question
2. I make a serious answer
3. You supposedly suddenly know the answer to your question, even though you're wrong
4. You get flamed by me and others, for good reason
5. You go against my advice and buy an Audigy
6. You have the adacity to THANK ME when you call me an idiot and then don't use my (and others) advice.
7. (Future occurance) You get called an asshat, by me

You're an asshat.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

Gotta agree with FB. You need to ask and listen, not ask and do the opposite of what is advised.

I would have even tried the sound on IRQ 7. Never print out your tunes, do you?

You're a Bumcap.

<b><font color=blue>~scribble~</font color=blue></b> :wink: <A HREF="http://www.ud.com/home.htm" target="_new">Help cure cancer.</A>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
lol, he reminds me of Conqueror. Thanks to him, I got into a fight with AMDMeltdown.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

G

Yo, hang on one sec please. First off all I asked for was ADVICE, i did not ask for you to tell me which card I HAVE to buy.

Why this has upset you SO much i do not know. I thanked you and everyone because I appreciated their help in HELPING ME CHOOSE which board to buy, and what i should look for.

And as for going against your advice, let me say this. I took your advice to heart, but BestBuy offered me a 30-day no question return/refund polocy. So i could not lose, especially with a $20 rebate which i will get even if i return the product, so I took the chance knowing that if it didnt work, I would/could return it for the other board you recommended.

I did not mean to contradict my questions/answers, with responses of my own, but I do know my sh*t. I have been doing this for too many years not to be able to come into a forum and express my opinions and thoughts without being questioned about my knowledge.

I say this out of complete honesty, and do not say it to ruffel feathers or to come off the wrong way. If you can not take a Thank You like a man, or even a human being, then I will leave this forum to another who's community has the respect of all users, either knowledgeable, newbie or other.

Thank you.

Chris B
CEO - WeBtRoNiX PC

FatBurger

Illustrious
I did not mean to contradict my questions/answers, with responses of my own, but I do know my sh*t.

You asked whether an ISA NIC would be fast enough for your cable internet, I said it would. You then say it WOULDN'T be. Suddenly you know what you're talking about and I'm an idiot? Why would you ask a question you know the answer to?

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

G

First off, an ISA based NIC is fast enough for the cable connection YES< BUT it slows down system performance because now you are taking a data stream off the PCI bus onto the slower ISA bus, THUS taking up much more CPU power, and possible SLOWING Game performance.

So in otherwords, was it worth it to lose valuable FPS in games because of the bottleneck in the ISA bus? You forget the PCI/ISA Bandwith is vastly different, and CPU cycles matter much! Why do you think they eliminated ISA slots from Motherboards?!?!?!?

This is why i wanted responses, to see what people thought as per system degregation because of using a NIC that potentially can raise CPY cycles up to 20%, and bringing down valueable gaming FPS. PLUS, at the time I was fighting with IRQ's (which by the way still is happening because the Audigy and USB controller both share 5), and you can not tell me that does nothing. I dont care what card is in there, when 2 devices both access 5 at the same time I am gonna crash. I will know when i try to use my USB logitech wheel while the audigy or any pci soundcard is pumping out sounds in Nascar 4.

It is working right now yes. But i still feel the sharing of IRQ's is not stable. I havent' crashed yet (knock on wood), but maybe if it stays consistant and i have no issues i will sweeten on IRQ sharing.

G

Plus, Fatburger, I am not arguing with you, I am just stating what i believe to be correct. I apologize that i tried to answer my own question, in my arrogance i worded that response in the wrong way. I do apologize to any who believe i came off wrong. I am sorry.

I don't believe you would notice any "loss of CPU performance". Granted what you say is right, but can you tell the difference between, for example between 30FPS and 28FPS or whatever the numbers would be.

Your question (or at least the way it was worded) gave the impression that you didn't know if the ISA bus was faster than your cable hook-up. I would respectfully suggest you think carefully about how you respond to peoples' help.

Fatburger isn't particularly abrasive (I should know, cos I've wound him up a couple of times), but I figure anyone would be abrasive to a new face if the advice was disregarded, then trumpeted.

<b><font color=blue>~scribble~</font color=blue></b> :wink: <A HREF="http://www.ud.com/home.htm" target="_new">Help cure cancer.</A>

G

Yes, i fully admit I worded my response and question wrong, for that I am severly apologetic, and I respect fatburgers opinions as much as the next person's...

That being said I dont know if i should Order a 10/100 ISA 3Com Nic... The system is working right now, no crashes, but i have yet to use my usb camera or wheel. I must test that later on..

Before hand tho I am formatting and reinstalling XP clean.. I had way too many proggys in 98 that arent kiving and am not inthused about how they came out.

A small piece of advice (to be disregarded if you like).

Deal with one problem at a time. It allows you to know which adjustment to your system causes problems.

FatBurger

Illustrious
If it currently works fine, no need to change it. Don't order another NIC when you're not sure if you need it. Testing a current setup is free, new hardware is not.