Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Camera Store Rumors

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 9:09:15 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

I was in two different stores in the DC area this week and heard two
different rumors (given as fact of course) regarding Nikon's next digital
camera(s). One said that the D-100 replacement would be out this summer
with a 8 megapixel CMOS sensor with the 1.5 crop factor, the other said a
full-frame camera with 18 MP would be out in October.

Any of the "experts" hearing anything definitive? I checked and there are
no new trademark registrations yet. But D-200 is already trademarked by
someone else.

Walt Hanks

More about : camera store rumors

June 9, 2005 10:47:19 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"Walt Hanks" <walthanks@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:5_ydnUrTvMpiMjXfRVn-tQ@comcast.com...
>I was in two different stores in the DC area this week and heard two
>different rumors (given as fact of course) regarding Nikon's next digital
>camera(s). One said that the D-100 replacement would be out this summer
>with a 8 megapixel CMOS sensor with the 1.5 crop factor, the other said a
>full-frame camera with 18 MP would be out in October.
>
> Any of the "experts" hearing anything definitive? I checked and there are
> no new trademark registrations yet. But D-200 is already trademarked by
> someone else.
>
It will be the D100 mk.II ;)  The last thing I heard was 2006 for a D100
replacement, no full frame from past info from Nikon. The market is small
for a $2,000ish dSLR. Look at all the recent dSLR releases, all sub
$1,000usd products RebelXT, Nikon D50, and the Pentax *ist DL which could be
$800usd.
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 11:55:50 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 17:09:15 -0400, "Walt Hanks"
<walthanks@comcast.net> wrote:

>I was in two different stores in the DC area this week and heard two
>different rumors (given as fact of course) regarding Nikon's next digital
>camera(s). One said that the D-100 replacement would be out this summer
>with a 8 megapixel CMOS sensor with the 1.5 crop factor, the other said a
>full-frame camera with 18 MP would be out in October.
>
>Any of the "experts" hearing anything definitive? I checked and there are
>no new trademark registrations yet. But D-200 is already trademarked by
>someone else.
>
>Walt Hanks
>

But why would they promote a secondary camera (the D100) to position
as their premiere model, above the D2x?
-Rich
Related resources
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 1:32:25 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Walt Hanks <walthanks@comcast.net> wrote:

> the other said a full-frame camera with 18 MP would be out in October.

The way Nikon works, if that were true it would probably have already been
announced, no?

Anyway, you won't get anything definitive until Nikon does announce something.

--
Jeremy | jeremy@exit109.com
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 4:32:07 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 17:09:15 -0400, "Walt Hanks"
<walthanks@comcast.net> wrote:

>I was in two different stores in the DC area this week and heard two
>different rumors (given as fact of course) regarding Nikon's next digital
>camera(s). One said that the D-100 replacement would be out this summer
>with a 8 megapixel CMOS sensor with the 1.5 crop factor, the other said a
>full-frame camera with 18 MP would be out in October.
>
>Any of the "experts" hearing anything definitive? I checked and there are
>no new trademark registrations yet. But D-200 is already trademarked by
>someone else.
>
>Walt Hanks

"Out" as "available in the store," or "announced six months before
delivery?"

And what will this new wunder-kamera do to the D2x? And how much
would this 18 mp-er cost. US $7500, since it has 1.5X the pixel count
of the D2x? :-)

Pere Kodak
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 4:37:55 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Walt Hanks wrote:
> I was in two different stores in the DC area this week and heard two
> different rumors (given as fact of course) regarding Nikon's next digital
> camera(s). One said that the D-100 replacement would be out this summer
> with a 8 megapixel CMOS sensor with the 1.5 crop factor, the other said a
> full-frame camera with 18 MP would be out in October.

Are these large stores that have camera company reps visit there
frequently? I've found that the information provided by reps,
off-the-record of course, is usually accurate. If you ask them a
question, in the form of "when will xyz be available?" then they will
give an answer (but you need to know the model number of what you're
asking about, you can't be fishing around).
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 4:37:56 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"Steven M. Scharf" <schart.steven@linkearth.net> wrote in message
news:D h5qe.2076$jX6.503@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> Walt Hanks wrote:
>> I was in two different stores in the DC area this week and heard two
>> different rumors (given as fact of course) regarding Nikon's next digital
>> camera(s). One said that the D-100 replacement would be out this summer
>> with a 8 megapixel CMOS sensor with the 1.5 crop factor, the other said a
>> full-frame camera with 18 MP would be out in October.
>
> Are these large stores that have camera company reps visit there
> frequently? I've found that the information provided by reps,
> off-the-record of course, is usually accurate. If you ask them a question,
> in the form of "when will xyz be available?" then they will give an answer
> (but you need to know the model number of what you're asking about, you
> can't be fishing around).

Yes, they were. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Walt
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 8:04:17 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Walt Hanks wrote:
> "Steven M. Scharf" <schart.steven@linkearth.net> wrote in message
> news:D h5qe.2076$jX6.503@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net...
>
>>Walt Hanks wrote:
>>
>>>I was in two different stores in the DC area this week and heard two
>>>different rumors (given as fact of course) regarding Nikon's next digital
>>>camera(s). One said that the D-100 replacement would be out this summer
>>>with a 8 megapixel CMOS sensor with the 1.5 crop factor, the other said a
>>>full-frame camera with 18 MP would be out in October.
>>
>>Are these large stores that have camera company reps visit there
>>frequently? I've found that the information provided by reps,
>>off-the-record of course, is usually accurate. If you ask them a question,
>>in the form of "when will xyz be available?" then they will give an answer
>>(but you need to know the model number of what you're asking about, you
>>can't be fishing around).
>
>
> Yes, they were. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Well neither of those two cameras would be a big surprise to anyone,
since they fill gaping holes in Nikon's product line.

Nikon is being hurt badly by not having a D100 successor that can
compete against the 20D, and by not having a full-frame, professional
model with larger pixels, and lower noise, to compete against the 1DsMarkII.

It could be that these rumors are being floated in order to prevent more
defections while they are in development.
June 10, 2005 8:04:18 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"Steven M. Scharf" <schart.steven@linkearth.net> wrote in message
news:5j8qe.2177$jX6.1418@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> Walt Hanks wrote:
>> "Steven M. Scharf" <schart.steven@linkearth.net> wrote in message
>> news:D h5qe.2076$jX6.503@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net...
>>
>>>Walt Hanks wrote:
>>>
>>>>I was in two different stores in the DC area this week and heard two
>>>>different rumors (given as fact of course) regarding Nikon's next
>>>>digital camera(s). One said that the D-100 replacement would be out
>>>>this summer with a 8 megapixel CMOS sensor with the 1.5 crop factor, the
>>>>other said a full-frame camera with 18 MP would be out in October.
>>>
>>>Are these large stores that have camera company reps visit there
>>>frequently? I've found that the information provided by reps,
>>>off-the-record of course, is usually accurate. If you ask them a
>>>question, in the form of "when will xyz be available?" then they will
>>>give an answer (but you need to know the model number of what you're
>>>asking about, you can't be fishing around).
>>
>>
>> Yes, they were. It will be interesting to see what happens.
>
> Well neither of those two cameras would be a big surprise to anyone, since
> they fill gaping holes in Nikon's product line.
>
> Nikon is being hurt badly by not having a D100 successor that can compete
> against the 20D, and by not having a full-frame, professional model with
> larger pixels, and lower noise, to compete against the 1DsMarkII.
>
> It could be that these rumors are being floated in order to prevent more
> defections while they are in development.

The $2,000 CDN dSLR body is not a large market. I sell 10 RebelXT's to every
20D sold. The new D50 will also be a hot seller. Sell 10 XT's make more
profit on the slim (10% on average) margins on the cameras.
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 11:53:23 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 04:04:17 +0000, Steven M. Scharf wrote:

> Well neither of those two cameras would be a big surprise to anyone, since
> they fill gaping holes in Nikon's product line.
>
> Nikon is being hurt badly by not having a D100 successor that can compete
> against the 20D, and by not having a full-frame, professional model with
> larger pixels, and lower noise, to compete against the 1DsMarkII.
>
> It could be that these rumors are being floated in order to prevent more
> defections while they are in development.

Oh God, please stop this moron from being able to type.

I guess Nikon should just close shop now, eh? Nothing they make will ever
be good enough to compete against the might 1DsII, will it?

--
email: drop rods and insert surfaces
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 1:39:11 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"Father Kodak" wrote:

> And what will this new wunder-kamera do to the D2x? And how much
> would this 18 mp-er cost. US $7500, since it has 1.5X the pixel count
> of the D2x? :-)

That's the price being bantered about for the Pentax 645D, which is
allegedly due in early 2006 with a slightly larger 18.6 MP sensor
(likely 45x34mm).

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0503/05031603kodakkaf18000...

While I think a D100 replacement is likely (and overdue), I don't
see a full-frame 35mm Nikon anytime soon.

--
Michael Benveniste -- mhb-offer@clearether.com
Spam and UCE professionally evaluated for $419. Use this email
address only to submit mail for evaluation.
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 2:26:55 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

RichA <none@none.com> wrote in
news:p llha1duvkd8lpck7vckaeh7uh0i1669r7@4ax.com:

> On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 17:09:15 -0400, "Walt Hanks"
> <walthanks@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>I was in two different stores in the DC area this week and heard two
>>different rumors (given as fact of course) regarding Nikon's next
>>digital camera(s). One said that the D-100 replacement would be out
>>this summer with a 8 megapixel CMOS sensor with the 1.5 crop factor,
>>the other said a full-frame camera with 18 MP would be out in October.
>>
>>Any of the "experts" hearing anything definitive? I checked and there
>>are no new trademark registrations yet. But D-200 is already
>>trademarked by someone else.
>>
>>Walt Hanks
>>
>
> But why would they promote a secondary camera (the D100) to position
> as their premiere model, above the D2x?
> -Rich
>

They definately need a body between the D70 and D2X, too big a jump at the
moment.
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 2:26:56 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"Mick Brown" <nmcs_remove_@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
news:Xns9671CFAA7F93Anmcsbigpondnetau@61.9.191.5...
> RichA <none@none.com> wrote in
> news:p llha1duvkd8lpck7vckaeh7uh0i1669r7@4ax.com:
>> But why would they promote a secondary camera (the D100) to position
>> as their premiere model, above the D2x?
>> -Rich
>>
>
> They definately need a body between the D70 and D2X, too big a jump at the
> moment.

I agree. I believe the rumors were regarding two different cameras, one
high end full-frame DSLR to compete with the IIDs and a "Prosumer" to
compete with the 20D. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Walt
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 9:59:09 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Walt Hanks napisa³(a):
> I was in two different stores in the DC area this week and heard two
> different rumors (given as fact of course) regarding Nikon's next digital
> camera(s). One said that the D-100 replacement would be out this summer
> with a 8 megapixel CMOS sensor with the 1.5 crop factor, the other said a
> full-frame camera with 18 MP would be out in October.

rotfl :D  and what about d2x... I think Nikon won't shot an own goal ;) 


--
........Marek Mollin "rogus".......
...........ciagle szukam..........
......roguas@toczymoddychasz.pl....
...................................
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 9:59:53 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Jeremy Nixon napisał(a):
> The way Nikon works, if that were true it would probably have already been
> announced, no?

No Nikon keeps secets ;) ))
I knew about D50 2-3 months before anouncement!

--
........Marek Mollin "rogus".......
...........ciagle szukam..........
......roguas@toczymoddychasz.pl....
...................................
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 12:44:18 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 10:26:55 GMT, Mick Brown
<nmcs_remove_@bigpond.net.au> wrote:

>RichA <none@none.com> wrote in
>news:p llha1duvkd8lpck7vckaeh7uh0i1669r7@4ax.com:
>
>> On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 17:09:15 -0400, "Walt Hanks"
>> <walthanks@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>>I was in two different stores in the DC area this week and heard two
>>>different rumors (given as fact of course) regarding Nikon's next
>>>digital camera(s). One said that the D-100 replacement would be out
>>>this summer with a 8 megapixel CMOS sensor with the 1.5 crop factor,
>>>the other said a full-frame camera with 18 MP would be out in October.
>>>
>>>Any of the "experts" hearing anything definitive? I checked and there
>>>are no new trademark registrations yet. But D-200 is already
>>>trademarked by someone else.
>>>
>>>Walt Hanks
>>>
>>
>> But why would they promote a secondary camera (the D100) to position
>> as their premiere model, above the D2x?
>> -Rich
>>
>
>They definately need a body between the D70 and D2X, too big a jump at the
>moment.

Absolutely. But not with more than 10 megapixels. They have to keep
to the hierarchy otherwise, you end up with a situation like Olympus,
where you're pro camera has 5 meg while your entry-level camera has 8.
-Rich
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 12:45:14 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 07:16:55 -0400, "Walt Hanks"
<walthanks@comcast.net> wrote:

>
>"Mick Brown" <nmcs_remove_@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
>news:Xns9671CFAA7F93Anmcsbigpondnetau@61.9.191.5...
>> RichA <none@none.com> wrote in
>> news:p llha1duvkd8lpck7vckaeh7uh0i1669r7@4ax.com:
>>> But why would they promote a secondary camera (the D100) to position
>>> as their premiere model, above the D2x?
>>> -Rich
>>>
>>
>> They definately need a body between the D70 and D2X, too big a jump at the
>> moment.
>
>I agree. I believe the rumors were regarding two different cameras, one
>high end full-frame DSLR to compete with the IIDs and a "Prosumer" to
>compete with the 20D. It will be interesting to see what happens.
>
>Walt
>

No! That means a body that costs what Canon's IIDs does and that
means no downward price-pressure on the Canon! :) 
-Rich
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 1:15:39 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"RichA" <none@none.com> wrote in message
news:hvcka11d589pd495oh1vkm3pvgdtbv2tdb@4ax.com...
> On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 07:16:55 -0400, "Walt Hanks"
>>I agree. I believe the rumors were regarding two different cameras, one
>>high end full-frame DSLR to compete with the IIDs and a "Prosumer" to
>>compete with the 20D. It will be interesting to see what happens.
>>
>>Walt
>>
>
> No! That means a body that costs what Canon's IIDs does and that
> means no downward price-pressure on the Canon! :) 
> -Rich

Given that the pro DSLR field has narrowed to a two man race (with a pack of
bloodied also-rans back in the distance), I don't see downward price
pressures happening in the near future. I wish it would, but I don't see
it. Both Canon and Nikon are preselling all they can make. Why would they
give up pure profit?

Walt
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 1:15:40 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 21:15:39 -0400, "Walt Hanks"
<walthanks@comcast.net> wrote:

>
>"RichA" <none@none.com> wrote in message
>news:hvcka11d589pd495oh1vkm3pvgdtbv2tdb@4ax.com...
>> On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 07:16:55 -0400, "Walt Hanks"
>>>I agree. I believe the rumors were regarding two different cameras, one
>>>high end full-frame DSLR to compete with the IIDs and a "Prosumer" to
>>>compete with the 20D. It will be interesting to see what happens.
>>>
>>>Walt
>>>
>>
>> No! That means a body that costs what Canon's IIDs does and that
>> means no downward price-pressure on the Canon! :) 
>> -Rich
>
>Given that the pro DSLR field has narrowed to a two man race (with a pack of
>bloodied also-rans back in the distance), I don't see downward price
>pressures happening in the near future. I wish it would, but I don't see
>it. Both Canon and Nikon are preselling all they can make. Why would they
>give up pure profit?

Well, I have seen some signs of price declines on ebay recently with
D2x. After looking at the D70s and the D2x, I have a really bad case
of D2x-lust. It's not just that the D2x is a faster, more "pro"
camera, but it will work with all my AI lenses. So for roughly the
same cost as a D70 plus replacing four or five prime lenses I could
probably buy a D2x, especially if I can pick one up for say under 4
grand. Then I get all those extra pixels and bigger buffer for
"free." :D  :D  :D 

Abba Kodak
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 1:33:21 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Marek M. "rogus" wrote:
> Jeremy Nixon napisał(a):
>
>> The way Nikon works, if that were true it would probably have already
>> been
>> announced, no?
>
>
> No Nikon keeps secets ;) ))
> I knew about D50 2-3 months before anouncement!

And this was probably intentional! Companies leak out product
announcements all the time, especially when the new product is not
expected to hurt sales of their existing products. The D50 announcement
probably didn't hurt D70 sales, but it likely kept some people from
buying a Rebel XT until they can see which is better. The D50 will
likely be a big success.
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 6:24:32 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

RichA wrote:

> No! That means a body that costs what Canon's IIDs does and that
> means no downward price-pressure on the Canon! :) 

With only two competitors, you can be sure that Nikon will not be
anxious to put pressure on prices. They want to reap the same rewards.
They may even decide to price it higher.
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 9:54:00 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

RichA <none@none.com> wrote in
news:p scka15ish45fkt5kovciappfskn4f3khs@4ax.com:

> On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 10:26:55 GMT, Mick Brown
> <nmcs_remove_@bigpond.net.au> wrote:
>
>>RichA <none@none.com> wrote in
>>news:p llha1duvkd8lpck7vckaeh7uh0i1669r7@4ax.com:
>>
>>> On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 17:09:15 -0400, "Walt Hanks"
>>> <walthanks@comcast.net> wrote:
>>>
>>>>I was in two different stores in the DC area this week and heard two
>>>>different rumors (given as fact of course) regarding Nikon's next
>>>>digital camera(s). One said that the D-100 replacement would be out
>>>>this summer with a 8 megapixel CMOS sensor with the 1.5 crop factor,
>>>>the other said a full-frame camera with 18 MP would be out in
>>>>October.
>>>>
>>>>Any of the "experts" hearing anything definitive? I checked and
>>>>there are no new trademark registrations yet. But D-200 is already
>>>>trademarked by someone else.
>>>>
>>>>Walt Hanks
>>>>
>>>
>>> But why would they promote a secondary camera (the D100) to position
>>> as their premiere model, above the D2x?
>>> -Rich
>>>
>>
>>They definately need a body between the D70 and D2X, too big a jump at
>>the moment.
>
> Absolutely. But not with more than 10 megapixels. They have to keep
> to the hierarchy otherwise, you end up with a situation like Olympus,
> where you're pro camera has 5 meg while your entry-level camera has 8.
> -Rich
>

Spoke to the rep in the local pro camera place in Melbourne, she
believes it will be September, its called a D200 and its going to be
12Mp

Mick Brown
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 9:54:01 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 05:54:00 GMT, Mick Brown
<nmcs_remove_@bigpond.net.au> wrote:

>RichA <none@none.com> wrote in
>news:p scka15ish45fkt5kovciappfskn4f3khs@4ax.com:
>
>> On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 10:26:55 GMT, Mick Brown
>> <nmcs_remove_@bigpond.net.au> wrote:
>>
>>>RichA <none@none.com> wrote in
>>>news:p llha1duvkd8lpck7vckaeh7uh0i1669r7@4ax.com:
>>>
>>>> On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 17:09:15 -0400, "Walt Hanks"
>>>> <walthanks@comcast.net> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>>I was in two different stores in the DC area this week and heard two
>>>>>different rumors (given as fact of course) regarding Nikon's next
>>>>>digital camera(s). One said that the D-100 replacement would be out
>>>>>this summer with a 8 megapixel CMOS sensor with the 1.5 crop factor,
>>>>>the other said a full-frame camera with 18 MP would be out in
>>>>>October.
>>>>>
>>>>>Any of the "experts" hearing anything definitive? I checked and
>>>>>there are no new trademark registrations yet. But D-200 is already
>>>>>trademarked by someone else.
>>>>>
>>>>>Walt Hanks
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>> But why would they promote a secondary camera (the D100) to position
>>>> as their premiere model, above the D2x?
>>>> -Rich
>>>>
>>>
>>>They definately need a body between the D70 and D2X, too big a jump at
>>>the moment.
>>
>> Absolutely. But not with more than 10 megapixels. They have to keep
>> to the hierarchy otherwise, you end up with a situation like Olympus,
>> where you're pro camera has 5 meg while your entry-level camera has 8.
>> -Rich
>>
>
>Spoke to the rep in the local pro camera place in Melbourne, she
>believes it will be September, its called a D200 and its going to be
>12Mp
>

Sounds good. Did you get any info on pricing? By any chance the did
rep comment on the support for manual focus lenses?

Father Kodak


>Mick Brown
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 10:17:41 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"Mick Brown" <nmcs_remove_@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
news:Xns9672A16522379nmcsbigpondnetau@61.9.191.5...
>
> Spoke to the rep in the local pro camera place in Melbourne, she
> believes it will be September, its called a D200 and its going to be
> 12Mp
>
> Mick Brown

It won't be called that in the U.S, as that name is already trademarked by
another company. But it won't be the first time a camera went by multiple
names.

Walt
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 10:57:34 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Roxy d'Urban wrote:

> Why is it overdue? Will the D100 stop working when the clock strikes
> midnight?

In terms of sales of new dSLR's, it stopped working quite a few
midnights ago. In case you haven't noticed, the street price of
a D100 has dropped to $995, and even then it's not clear that
the D100 offers enough over the D70s to warrant that price.
Canon has made sure that to today's buyers, 6MP screams "entry
level."

Nikon should have reacted to the success of the Canon 20d no later
than PMA this year. Since they didn't, there's now a huge gap in
their product line between the dated $995 D100 and the top-of-the-
line $4995 D2x. (I consider the D2HS to be a special market
camera).

If Nikon were to ship an $1800, 9mp camera based on the F100
chassis (but with updated AF sensors), my order would be in
within minutes.

--
Michael Benveniste -- mhb-of...@clearether.com
Spam and UCE professionally evaluated for $419. Use this email
address only to submit mail for evaluation.
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 12:18:10 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Father Kodak <dont_bother@IDontCare.COM> wrote in
news:5o5la1padrjoj6ba3mpvplr35tj1hsu33r@4ax.com:

> On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 05:54:00 GMT, Mick Brown
> <nmcs_remove_@bigpond.net.au> wrote:
>
>>RichA <none@none.com> wrote in
>>news:p scka15ish45fkt5kovciappfskn4f3khs@4ax.com:
>>
>>> On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 10:26:55 GMT, Mick Brown
>>> <nmcs_remove_@bigpond.net.au> wrote:
>>>
>>>>RichA <none@none.com> wrote in
>>>>news:p llha1duvkd8lpck7vckaeh7uh0i1669r7@4ax.com:
>>>>
>>>>> On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 17:09:15 -0400, "Walt Hanks"
>>>>> <walthanks@comcast.net> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>>I was in two different stores in the DC area this week and heard
two
>>>>>>different rumors (given as fact of course) regarding Nikon's next
>>>>>>digital camera(s). One said that the D-100 replacement would be
out
>>>>>>this summer with a 8 megapixel CMOS sensor with the 1.5 crop
factor,
>>>>>>the other said a full-frame camera with 18 MP would be out in
>>>>>>October.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>Any of the "experts" hearing anything definitive? I checked and
>>>>>>there are no new trademark registrations yet. But D-200 is
already
>>>>>>trademarked by someone else.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>Walt Hanks
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> But why would they promote a secondary camera (the D100) to
position
>>>>> as their premiere model, above the D2x?
>>>>> -Rich
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>>They definately need a body between the D70 and D2X, too big a jump
at
>>>>the moment.
>>>
>>> Absolutely. But not with more than 10 megapixels. They have to
keep
>>> to the hierarchy otherwise, you end up with a situation like
Olympus,
>>> where you're pro camera has 5 meg while your entry-level camera has
8.
>>> -Rich
>>>
>>
>>Spoke to the rep in the local pro camera place in Melbourne, she
>>believes it will be September, its called a D200 and its going to be
>>12Mp
>>
>
> Sounds good. Did you get any info on pricing? By any chance the did
> rep comment on the support for manual focus lenses?
>
> Father Kodak
>
>
>>Mick Brown
>
>

No she didnt know that much.
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 1:37:52 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 09:39:11 -0400, Michael Benveniste wrote:

> "Father Kodak" wrote:
>
>> And what will this new wunder-kamera do to the D2x? And how much would
>> this 18 mp-er cost. US $7500, since it has 1.5X the pixel count of the
>> D2x? :-)
>
> That's the price being bantered about for the Pentax 645D, which is
> allegedly due in early 2006 with a slightly larger 18.6 MP sensor (likely
> 45x34mm).
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0503/05031603kodakkaf18000...
>
> While I think a D100 replacement is likely (and overdue), I don't see a
> full-frame 35mm Nikon anytime soon.

Why is it overdue? Will the D100 stop working when the clock strikes
midnight?

Nikon and Canon are different companies, with diferent agendas. Canon are
trying to gain market share, Nikon are trying to gain end user trust by
backing the products they already have out there. Different strategies.

--
email: drop rods and insert surfaces
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 4:33:51 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

In article <Xns9672A16522379nmcsbigpondnetau@61.9.191.5>,
Mick Brown <nmcs_remove_@bigpond.net.au> wrote:
>Spoke to the rep in the local pro camera place in Melbourne, she
>believes it will be September, its called a D200 and its going to be
>12Mp

I think that 12 Mpixels is the only resolution that makes sense: improve
the yield of the D2X sensor, ramp up the production and put it in a consumer
body.

The 'D200' will have to compete with the successor to the 20D. 12 Mpixels
is enough to get ahead in the resolution game.

With a higher volume of sensors, the total costs to make a D2X drops, which
is also a good thing.

The alternative seems to be to design a new 8 or 10 Mpixel sensor, which
sounds as an expensive way to keep the D2X exclusive.


--
That was it. Done. The faulty Monk was turned out into the desert where it
could believe what it liked, including the idea that it had been hard done
by. It was allowed to keep its horse, since horses were so cheap to make.
-- Douglas Adams in Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 4:33:52 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"Philip Homburg" <philip@pch.home.cs.vu.nl> wrote in message
news:5saqplnkm40mnts99jtpu996n2@inews_id.stereo.hq.phicoh.net...
> In article <Xns9672A16522379nmcsbigpondnetau@61.9.191.5>,
> Mick Brown <nmcs_remove_@bigpond.net.au> wrote:
>>Spoke to the rep in the local pro camera place in Melbourne, she
>>believes it will be September, its called a D200 and its going to be
>>12Mp
>
> I think that 12 Mpixels is the only resolution that makes sense: improve
> the yield of the D2X sensor, ramp up the production and put it in a
> consumer
> body.
>
> The 'D200' will have to compete with the successor to the 20D. 12 Mpixels
> is enough to get ahead in the resolution game.
>
> With a higher volume of sensors, the total costs to make a D2X drops,
> which
> is also a good thing.
>
> The alternative seems to be to design a new 8 or 10 Mpixel sensor, which
> sounds as an expensive way to keep the D2X exclusive.
>
>

Evidently there is a new sensor manufacturer on the block - the Jazz sensor.
I don't know anything about it except that it is supposedly part of Nikon's
plans. Anyone know more?

Walt
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 6:58:51 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Michael Benveniste wrote:
> Roxy d'Urban wrote:
>
>
>>Why is it overdue? Will the D100 stop working when the clock strikes
>>midnight?
>
>
> In terms of sales of new dSLR's, it stopped working quite a few
> midnights ago. In case you haven't noticed, the street price of
> a D100 has dropped to $995, and even then it's not clear that
> the D100 offers enough over the D70s to warrant that price.
> Canon has made sure that to today's buyers, 6MP screams "entry
> level."
>
> Nikon should have reacted to the success of the Canon 20d no later
> than PMA this year.

Nikon's problem is that they rely on third parties for sensors. If they
could have reacted by PMA, they would have.

The D50 is going to sell in much larger quantities than any 20D
competitor ever would, and they already had a sensor to use for it.

> Since they didn't, there's now a huge gap in
> their product line between the dated $995 D100 and the top-of-the-
> line $4995 D2x.

Not every manufacturer can compete in every segment.
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 8:46:07 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"Steven M. Scharf" <scharf.steven@linkearth.net> wrote
> Nikon's problem is that they rely on third parties for sensors. If
> could have reacted by PMA, they would have.

This may well be the reason a D100 replacement is overdue, but
overdue it remains. Olympus was able to get an 8mp sensor into
it's 4/3rds dSLR in less time and with less market presense.

> Not every manufacturer can compete in every segment.

True, but see your own "they would have" comment above. As noted
above, my own guess is that Canon and Fuji proved there are profits
to be made in the $1500-$2000 class, that Nikon wants to play
there, and that the current price reduction in the D100 is a good
sign it's about to be discontinued or replaced. I'm betting on
the latter.

--
Michael Benveniste -- mhb-offer@clearether.com
Spam and UCE professionally evaluated for $419. Use this email
address only to submit mail for evaluation.
June 11, 2005 10:45:08 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"Mick Brown" <nmcs_remove_@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
news:Xns9672A16522379nmcsbigpondnetau@61.9.191.5...
>
> Spoke to the rep in the local pro camera place in Melbourne, she
> believes it will be September, its called a D200 and its going to be
> 12Mp
>
> Mick Brown

Does she work for Nikon, or the camera shop. If there is a D100 replacement,
the trademark D200 is already trademarked in the USA to a pile driver. It
could be called D100 mk.II ;) 

12 megapixels could mean the same sensor as the D2X with some functions
turned off in hardware or firmware. I can see the 12 mp/6 mp switch not
used. No support for N-AI/N-AIS lenses
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 10:45:09 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 18:45:08 -0400, "Darrell" <spam@this.eh> wrote:

>
>"Mick Brown" <nmcs_remove_@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
>news:Xns9672A16522379nmcsbigpondnetau@61.9.191.5...
>>
>> Spoke to the rep in the local pro camera place in Melbourne, she
>> believes it will be September, its called a D200 and its going to be
>> 12Mp
>>
>> Mick Brown
>
>Does she work for Nikon, or the camera shop. If there is a D100 replacement,
>the trademark D200 is already trademarked in the USA to a pile driver. It
>could be called D100 mk.II ;) 

I'm no lawyer (thankfully!) but I believe that US trademark law
provides protection within a market category. I seriously doubt that
anyone will confuse a Nikon digital camera body with a piece of heavy
constructionism equipment. There is "Apple" the music company owned
by the Beatles (if I remember correctly) and there is "Apple" the
computer company. I seem to remember that the music company Apple is
upset with the actions of the computer company Apple in relation to
iTunes.


>
>12 megapixels could mean the same sensor as the D2X with some functions
>turned off in hardware or firmware. I can see the 12 mp/6 mp switch not
>used. No support for N-AI/N-AIS lenses

Oh fudge! Then I'll still have to go with the D2x.

Pere Kodak
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 11:12:06 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Walt Hanks wrote:
> "Mick Brown" <nmcs_remove_@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
> news:Xns9671CFAA7F93Anmcsbigpondnetau@61.9.191.5...
>
>>RichA <none@none.com> wrote in
>>news:p llha1duvkd8lpck7vckaeh7uh0i1669r7@4ax.com:
>>
>>>But why would they promote a secondary camera (the D100) to position
>>>as their premiere model, above the D2x?
>>>-Rich
>>>
>>
>>They definately need a body between the D70 and D2X, too big a jump at the
>>moment.
>
>
> I agree. I believe the rumors were regarding two different cameras, one
> high end full-frame DSLR to compete with the IIDs and a "Prosumer" to
> compete with the 20D. It will be interesting to see what happens.

I know all the talk is about one new Nikon DSLR, but is it possible that
two or more models are nearing release? Clearly Nikon needs something
roughly comparable to the Canon EOS 20D in order to compete at that
price point; but now that Kodak is bowing out of the professional DSLR
business, Nikon may also see an opportunity or two in that market
segment. As far as I'm concerned, the more models the merrier!

--
Walter Luffman Medina, TN USA
Amateur curmudgeon, equal opportunity annoyer
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 1:31:06 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"Darrell" <spam@this.eh> writes:

> "Mick Brown" <nmcs_remove_@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
> news:Xns9672A16522379nmcsbigpondnetau@61.9.191.5...
>>
>> Spoke to the rep in the local pro camera place in Melbourne, she
>> believes it will be September, its called a D200 and its going to be
>> 12Mp
>>
>> Mick Brown
>
> Does she work for Nikon, or the camera shop. If there is a D100 replacement,
> the trademark D200 is already trademarked in the USA to a pile driver. It
> could be called D100 mk.II ;) 

A pile driver is a different market segment from a camera; there's no
conflict between trademarks in different market segments like that.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, <mailto:D d-b@dd-b.net>, <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/&gt;
RKBA: <http://noguns-nomoney.com/&gt; <http://www.dd-b.net/carry/&gt;
Pics: <http://dd-b.lighthunters.net/&gt; <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/&gt;
Dragaera/Steven Brust: <http://dragaera.info/&gt;
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 4:23:02 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"Darrell" <spam@this.eh> wrote in
news:p O6dnSaVQaPn9DbfRVn-2g@rogers.com:

>
> "Mick Brown" <nmcs_remove_@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
> news:Xns9672A16522379nmcsbigpondnetau@61.9.191.5...
>>
>> Spoke to the rep in the local pro camera place in Melbourne, she
>> believes it will be September, its called a D200 and its going to be
>> 12Mp
>>
>> Mick Brown
>
> Does she work for Nikon, or the camera shop. If there is a D100
> replacement, the trademark D200 is already trademarked in the USA to a
> pile driver. It could be called D100 mk.II ;) 
>
> 12 megapixels could mean the same sensor as the D2X with some
> functions turned off in hardware or firmware. I can see the 12 mp/6 mp
> switch not used. No support for N-AI/N-AIS lenses
>
>
>

She works for the shop, but she seems to have a very good contact at Nikon,
she has never let me down on new releases.

If the trademark is already taken in the USA it just means it will be
called something else, quite a few older film models were named differently
here to the US, eg N90 was called F90 here, 6001 was a 601 here etc...

Mick Brown
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 4:27:02 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

BucketButt <bucketbutt@bellsout.net> wrote in
news:3h1cuuFeuar1U1@individual.net:

> Walt Hanks wrote:
>> "Mick Brown" <nmcs_remove_@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
>> news:Xns9671CFAA7F93Anmcsbigpondnetau@61.9.191.5...
>>
>>>RichA <none@none.com> wrote in
>>>news:p llha1duvkd8lpck7vckaeh7uh0i1669r7@4ax.com:
>>>
>>>>But why would they promote a secondary camera (the D100) to position
>>>>as their premiere model, above the D2x?
>>>>-Rich
>>>>
>>>
>>>They definately need a body between the D70 and D2X, too big a jump
>>>at the moment.
>>
>>
>> I agree. I believe the rumors were regarding two different cameras,
>> one high end full-frame DSLR to compete with the IIDs and a
>> "Prosumer" to compete with the 20D. It will be interesting to see
>> what happens.
>
> I know all the talk is about one new Nikon DSLR, but is it possible
> that two or more models are nearing release? Clearly Nikon needs
> something roughly comparable to the Canon EOS 20D in order to compete
> at that price point; but now that Kodak is bowing out of the
> professional DSLR business, Nikon may also see an opportunity or two
> in that market segment. As far as I'm concerned, the more models the
> merrier!
>

I would assume that the "D200" is the cometitor to the 20D, I don't kow
of any other models, but unfortunately they don't look like they are any
closer to a full frame sensor to compete at the top end.

A pro I spoke to yesterday said that she prefers the Nikon glass but had
to go to Canon for the body, she was quite dissapointed and felt that
nikon had really dropped the ball at the pro end (her opinion, not
neccesarily mine)

Mick Brown
!