I7 3770k @ 4.5Ghz + Xigmatek DK Night Hawk push/pull

ichimaru

Honorable
May 3, 2012
Hi guys,

I'm pretty stumped now, I have an i7 3770K @ 4.5Ghz and a Xigmatek Dark Knight Night Hawk with a push/pull config both running at 1500 RPM at idle (although the PUSH fan goes to 2000 when CPU is on load). I spread MX-4 thermal compound on with a used credit card and my idle temps are sitting as follows:

fee4dab59dd5754c9e6422a07a3cf3fd.png

I'm disappointed with these temps, I was expecting at least a couple of degrees drop from my single fan setup with MX-2?

I don't really know what to do now, could you guys suggest anything?

Thanks.

ichimaru

Honorable
May 3, 2012

I was wondering about the spreading creating pockets for heat to set up home..

It's under load in Prime95 when it gets to 80c, I'm running this OC @ 1.2200 volts.

Thanks.

ichimaru

Honorable
May 3, 2012

Yeah, I know these chips are nice and toasty, guess I'll just have to reapply paste in the cross method (covered most in the video without air pockets) and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks.

Use the pea method. Its much better. Cross is uneven. Use the pea method. Thermal paste should not peel out the edges of the cooler.

ichimaru

Honorable
May 3, 2012

Fair enough I guess, there's a lot of debate on using the pea method vs the rice/ BB method. I for one think that the rice/BB would be too small. Would you agree?

Its the same thing technically. In truth you need about 3/4 of a pea sized amount to cover modern chips properly. If it for larger chips like SB-E then full pea.

ichimaru

Honorable
May 3, 2012

Reapplied paste today, temperatures are much them same if not 1c hotter. Used 3/4 pea size of thermal compound, pressed the heatsink on the cpu with a little bit of preassure and screwed it down.

Guess these temps are the best I'm going to get with my cooler, what's weird though is that adding an extra fan for push/pull instead of just pull didn't make the slightest bit of difference :/

Thanks.

Guess so, you seem to have just gotten a hotter chip unfortunately.