Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Re-configuring a desktop into a HTPC

Last response: in Systems
December 28, 2012 12:59:08 AM

I purchased a ready builit Dell i 15 last year for the purpose of recording over the air TV. Unfortunately, I got an ugly desktop that is RED. Now I wish I had done what is necessary to get a small low profile HTPC that would not be unsightly. I use Home Run as Tuner for it, and installed a second 2 TB hard drive.

Is it possible to get a horizontal case that I can transpose all the parts into from the desktop (remember two hard drives too) or does having that type of setup call for smaller components to get it into a smaller form factor. Even a larger horizontal case (like the old VCR cases) would be an improvement over what I have now.
Any recommendations? that might work?

Best solution

December 28, 2012 3:09:40 AM

There are HTPC cases that will fit up to full ATX motherboards and even full sized graphics cards. If you are looking to simply drop your current computer into a new case, there shouldn't be too much of an issue doing that. Here's a link to give you an idea of what is available http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=P... my personal favorite of those is the nMEDIAPC Red Wood Wood/Steel HTPC 8000 ATX Media Center / HTPC Case
Hope it helps
January 13, 2013 7:00:31 PM

Best answer selected by modhatter113.
m
l
!