Sign in with
Your question

Gtx 660ti(2gb) vs Radeon HD 7950 3gb

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 11, 2012 2:49:55 PM

Hi, i'll be buying a new rig within the next 2 weeks with the following specs mainly for gaming mostly in particular Battlefield 3 as my current gts 250 has trouble running it.

The specs:

Processor
Intel Core i7-3770 quad-core, 3.40 GHz with 8MB of Cache

Memory
4GB DDR3 1333MHz ( ill be upgrading to 8 once i get my hands on 64bit windows)

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z77-DS3H

though im looking into graphics cards very carefully so i spend my money right.

The options are

1) nvidea GTX 660ti(2gb)

2) Radeon HD 7950 3gb

They both would cost around 350euros so price isnt an issue.

From reading around im seeing lots of conflict in which one is better etc etc so im wondering if anyone here can help me out in choosing the better one suited to my needs.

Is there a big difference between 2gb and 3 gb? and also im a bit into NVIDEA products because i hear they have better drivers and support and ive always have an nvidea product that never gave me issues in this case the gts 250.

Thanks alot for any help
a b U Graphics card
November 11, 2012 2:54:11 PM

GTX 660 Ti would run BF3 better as it prefers nVidia cards. The 7950 would only really be better in crysis for the same reason battlefield likes nVidia. You might want to consider getting better ram though. BF3 uses upto 6gb ram and faster ram helps too. Like 1600mhz instead of 1333.
I'd recommend the MSI GTX 660 Ti Power Edition or the ASUS GTX 660 Ti DirectCU II
Anything else?
November 11, 2012 3:01:26 PM

Ill be upgrading ram ASAP as atm I only have 32bit windows 7, is there a big price difference between 1660mhz then 1333? Ill probably be buying Gainward Nvidia Geforce GTX660Ti - 2GB as thats what there is available, if it makes that much a difference ill order one of those you recommended.

Thanks alot for quick reply
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
November 11, 2012 3:02:32 PM

With the latest drivers from AMD there is no difference in BF3 between Nvidia & AMD.
Pick whichever you can find cheaper. Both cards are great it really just comes down to personal flavor.

See if the 7950 is still bundled with games. That could be something to sway you too.
a b U Graphics card
November 11, 2012 3:07:01 PM

No not really a difference in price between 1333 and 1600, all you need to check is that your motherboard supports 1600 memory.
http://www.ebuyer.com/342352-crucial-8gb-ddr3-1600mhz-b...
Gainward are decent but not the best, ASUS, MSI, EVGA, are the best. you know - all the brands that are all caps ;D no but seriously get one of those 3 over a gainward.
a b U Graphics card
November 11, 2012 3:09:22 PM

dscudella said:
With the latest drivers from AMD there is no difference in BF3 between Nvidia & AMD.
Pick whichever you can find cheaper. Both cards are great it really just comes down to personal flavor.

http://i1308.photobucket.com/albums/s605/dscudella/bf3_zps00168cb4.gif

See if the 7950 is still bundled with games. That could be something to sway you too.

Not sure If the 7950 is still bundled with games but i know that you can buy a 660 Ti with borderlands 2 and AC3
November 11, 2012 5:05:35 PM

Hi there. If your primary use for the PC is going to be gaming then get the i5-3570K. In the US the i7 and i5 are about $100 apart. And you don't need any more then the i5 for gaming. With the money you save get more ram and Windows 7 64bit. If you are going to use more then one monitor go with the 7950. The 3gb of ram and bigger memory bus will help with that. The 7950 is also more over clock friendly. If you go with the 660ti, EVGA is the best hands down when it comes to nVidea cards.
a b U Graphics card
November 11, 2012 5:46:00 PM

saint7269 said:
Hi there. If your primary use for the PC is going to be gaming then get the i5-3570K. In the US the i7 and i5 are about $100 apart. And you don't need any more then the i5 for gaming. With the money you save get more ram and Windows 7 64bit. If you are going to use more then one monitor go with the 7950. The 3gb of ram and bigger memory bus will help with that. The 7950 is also more over clock friendly. If you go with the 660ti, EVGA is the best hands down when it comes to nVidea cards.

Oops on my part. Good catch on the i7 :)  The i7 is useless for gaming as already stated. Games don't support Hyper Threading so the Quad Core i5's are perfect. Use the money elsewhere.
November 11, 2012 5:59:14 PM

Try the MSI GTX 660 ti Power edition.Even though it isnt the most OCed one,it runs more silent and colder than any of the asus and gigabyte card and has the most OC potencial because the cooling system is extremely efficient.The asus card is next but takes up 2,5xspace and heights more.
a b U Graphics card
November 11, 2012 6:27:18 PM

blacknemesist said:
Try the MSI GTX 660 ti Power edition.Even though it isnt the most OCed one,it runs more silent and colder than any of the asus and gigabyte card and has the most OC potencial because the cooling system is extremely efficient.The asus card is next but takes up 2,5xspace and heights more.

Yeah i'm getting that, Ill post a thread when i get it to show the performance. The best 660 Ti with ASUS coming in next.
a b U Graphics card
November 11, 2012 6:31:53 PM

flameboy294 said:
Hi, i'll be buying a new rig within the next 2 weeks with the following specs mainly for gaming mostly in particular Battlefield 3 as my current gts 250 has trouble running it.

The specs:

Processor
Intel Core i7-3770 quad-core, 3.40 GHz with 8MB of Cache

Memory
4GB DDR3 1333MHz ( ill be upgrading to 8 once i get my hands on 64bit windows)

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z77-DS3H

though im looking into graphics cards very carefully so i spend my money right.

The options are

1) nvidea GTX 660ti(2gb)

2) Radeon HD 7950 3gb

They both would cost around 350euros so price isnt an issue.

From reading around im seeing lots of conflict in which one is better etc etc so im wondering if anyone here can help me out in choosing the better one suited to my needs.

Is there a big difference between 2gb and 3 gb? and also im a bit into NVIDEA products because i hear they have better drivers and support and ive always have an nvidea product that never gave me issues in this case the gts 250.

Thanks alot for any help

My opinion is to not get a 660 Ti. Get a 7870, 7950, or 670. Those are the best for your money. Also BF3 does not prefer nVidia anymore.
November 11, 2012 6:38:22 PM

Thanks for all the constructive replys :)  though doesnt battlefield 3 use hyperthreading? i feel that the core i7 will serve longer in the future as more games will come out with hyperthreading in mind. I know the prices are high, but where i live everything is over priced -.- all in all this rig would cost me around 1021 euros
a b U Graphics card
November 11, 2012 6:55:42 PM

Nope BF3 only utilizes 4 cores (which equals 4 threads) but... the i7 will be faster in general desktop use and it will be better in multi-threaded apps like video editing/modeling/rendering/photoshop etc.
It's worth the investment if you have the money.
Get a GTX 670 or get a 660 Ti and buy an SSD - That'd be a good idea to speed up your pc even more.
November 11, 2012 6:58:15 PM

TS, remember that in all these threads there never seems to be a definite answer. I started a thread asking this question a few days ago and I got, almost unanimously, answered with the HD7950. What I'm trying to say is that it's just luck with whoever answers you, e.g what their personal preference is. In this thread it happens to be leaning towards the Nvidia but there are countless others which all end up different, basically meaning that it seems to come down to preferences as they are so evenly matched.

The fact is, they are so evenly matched except the AMD is slightly lower in price + comes with 4 free games (Don't know if this deal still holds where you live) so I would go for the AMD, although remember my opinion doesn't really mean much since there's so much variation in answers.
a b U Graphics card
November 11, 2012 7:04:20 PM

ubad00d said:
TS, remember that in all these threads there never seems to be a definite answer. I started a thread asking this question a few days ago and I got, almost unanimously, answered with the HD7950. What I'm trying to say is that it's just luck with whoever answers you, e.g what their personal preference is. In this thread it happens to be leaning towards the Nvidia but there are countless others which all end up different, basically meaning that it seems to come down to preferences as they are so evenly matched.

The fact is, they are so evenly matched except the AMD is slightly lower in price + comes with 4 free games (Don't know if this deal still holds where you live) so I would go for the AMD, although remember my opinion doesn't really mean much since there's so much variation in answers.

Great reply +1
November 11, 2012 7:05:12 PM

GTX 670 from here is way out of my budget xD 455euros..ok well thanks to this thread ive established that ill be downgrading to core i5 3570k, found from an other shop. might order that asus 660ti you linked me to.
November 11, 2012 7:08:50 PM

ubad00d said:

Thanks for your opinion, at least hearing everyone will give me a few more ideas like the core i5 and save a 100 euros, though ive heard before that core i5 is more effective this explained well why. Ill be trying to stick to nvidea because quite simply i like my gts 250 which served me well and nvidea and bf3 have this relationship
a b U Graphics card
November 11, 2012 7:10:45 PM

Yeah nice one, Stick with a 3570K and a non-reference 660 Ti like the ASUS, MSI power edition, or the Gigabyte.
Anyway you'll be happy :) 
a b U Graphics card
November 11, 2012 7:11:39 PM

Hyper Threading has never been supported in games. It only works for Apps / Programs that are written to actually use more cores. Hyper Threading mimics the extra cores but they aren't physical, they're virtual. Take for instance my i3-2100. It's a dual core with H/T (2 physical cores & 2 virtual cores). In desktop programs it mimics 4 cores but in games it's only a dual core CPU.

The i5's have 4 physical cores with no H/T. Games and Programs will see and use all 4 physical cores (if supported). That's why, at the moment, the i5-2500K (Sandy Bridge) and i5-3570K (Ivy Bridge) are the best CPU's for gaming.

The i7's have 4 physical cores like the i5's and H/T to mimic the 4 cores. Useless in games but useful for programs.

Edit: By saving the money by going with an i5 see if you can swing a GTX 670 / 7970. They are much better than the GTX 660 Ti / 7950. The 7970 is constantly on sale and can still be found with game bundles IF you can fit it in your budget.

Currently the best gaming setups involve the i5-3570K and either an OC'ed GTX 670, 7970 ghz edi or GTX 680
November 11, 2012 7:13:45 PM

You gotta remember though. BF3 is one of the games where Radeon hd 7950 performs same as GTX 660TI. If you planning on playing nay other games, HD 7950 outperforms GTX 660ti almost every single time. Nvidia Drive is the same as AMD.

But, yea choose whichever one you like. HD 7950 comes with farcry 3, sleeping dogs, Hitman absolution, and another 20% on medal of honor
November 11, 2012 7:14:34 PM

burntpizza said:
You gotta remember though. BF3 is one of the games where Radeon hd 7950 performs same as GTX 660TI. If you planning on playing nay other games, HD 7950 outperforms GTX 660ti almost every single time. Nvidia Drive is the same as AMD.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/647?vs=550

is there any support to what your saying? this quite shows the opposite
a b U Graphics card
November 11, 2012 7:16:14 PM

He's already said he's going to stick with nV :p 
Great post dscudella
a b U Graphics card
November 11, 2012 7:18:58 PM

flameboy294 said:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/647?vs=550

is there any support to what your saying? this quite shows the opposite

I guess you don't read my posts, so I'll post it again.

Burtnpizza's entire comment is completely supported considering you're posting benchmarks that are over 6 months and the ones I posted are as of 3 weeks ago.
November 11, 2012 7:21:41 PM

dscudella said:
I guess you don't read my posts, so I'll post it again.

http://i1308.photobucket.com/albums/s605/dscudella/bf3_zps00168cb4.gif

Burtnpizza's entire comment is completely supported considering you're posting benchmarks that are over 6 months and the ones I posted are as of 3 weeks ago.

isnt the 660ti there with a slighter better fps though? yes i did read it
a b U Graphics card
November 11, 2012 7:21:48 PM

calumconroy said:
He's already said he's going to stick with nV :p 
Great post dscudella

Thank you sir. If the OP is sticking with Nvidia, drop the i7, pick up the i5, use the saved money to get the GTX 670. Great combo.
November 11, 2012 7:22:57 PM

calumconroy said:
No not really a difference in price between 1333 and 1600, all you need to check is that your motherboard supports 1600 memory.
http://www.ebuyer.com/342352-crucial-8gb-ddr3-1600mhz-b...
Gainward are decent but not the best, ASUS, MSI, EVGA, are the best. you know - all the brands that are all caps ;D no but seriously get one of those 3 over a gainward.

There is a difference between the two, 1600 is noticeable different from 1333, once you jump any higher than 1600, there is no real noticeable difference.
a b U Graphics card
November 11, 2012 7:23:16 PM

dscudella said:
Thank you sir. If the OP is sticking with Nvidia, drop the i7, pick up the i5, use the saved money to get the GTX 670. Great combo.

True that. Or stick with 660 Ti and pick up an SSD.
a b U Graphics card
November 11, 2012 7:24:19 PM

Kiowa789 said:
There is a difference between the two, 1600 is noticeable different from 1333, once you jump any higher than 1600, there is no real noticeable difference.

Did you not read my post? I said the price not the performance...
a b U Graphics card
November 11, 2012 7:25:43 PM

Whatever card you get you'll be happy :) 
November 11, 2012 7:26:11 PM

dscudella said:
No! Horrible price.

EVGA GTX 670 FTW+ 2gb This will smash the 660 Ti and is cheaper

Its difficult for me to order from abroad and yes stuff are *** expensive here :(  like i said before
November 11, 2012 7:28:55 PM

calumconroy said:
Did you not read my post? I said the price not the performance...

Corsair XMS3, clocks at 1600, and is in the area that 1333 prices are at.
a b U Graphics card
November 11, 2012 7:29:07 PM

EVGA is the #1 manufacturer of Nvidia video cards. I would hardly call their coolers bad.

Edit: now that you have the right link up, yes, that one would be cheaper.
November 11, 2012 7:30:33 PM

dscudella said:
EVGA is the #1 manufacturer of Nvidia video cards. I would hardly call their coolers bad.

Debatable.
a b U Graphics card
November 11, 2012 8:07:10 PM

This thread has gone on long enough. A lot of ideas and favorites have been thrown around. Flameboy294, to answer your original question.

Don't get the i7-3770K, the H/T is useless in games. The i5-3570K will have the same performance and is cheaper. Just remember that if you're overclocking your CPU the stock HSF will not work, at all. Get something along the lines of the CoolerMaster Hyper 212.

Bump yourself up to 8gb RAM. You will notice a difference, 1600 is the sweet spot (along with Win 7 / 8 64-bit).

The GTX 670 fits into your budget and is stronger than the GTX 660 Ti. If you're going to overclock it the MSI (edit: I put Asus) is a great card because of it's cooler and triple overvolting allows for some insane overclocks.

Hope this helps.
November 11, 2012 8:14:53 PM

dscudella said:
This thread has gone on long enough. A lot of ideas and favorites have been thrown around. Flameboy294, to answer your original question.

Don't get the i7-3770K, the H/T is useless in games. The i5-3570K will have the same performance and is cheaper. Just remember that if you're overclocking your CPU the stock HSF will not work, at all. Get something along the lines of the CoolerMaster Hyper 212.

Bump yourself up to 8gb RAM. You will notice a difference, 1600 is the sweet spot (along with Win 7 / 8 64-bit).

The GTX 670 fits into your budget and is stronger than the GTX 660 Ti. If you're going to overclock it the Asus is a great card because of it's cooler and triple overvolting allows for some insane overclocks.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for putting that all together, im actually shopping right now and seeing prices. the big problem is the prices over here and really for a bit more its better to get them here because +shipping and everything comes more or less the same. luckily i saved i think a 100 euro not going for the core i7, i was quite deadset into it. Tommorrow morning ill be calling up to see if i can those parts i want :) 
a b U Graphics card
November 11, 2012 9:11:34 PM

flameboy294 said:
Thanks for putting that all together, im actually shopping right now and seeing prices. the big problem is the prices over here and really for a bit more its better to get them here because +shipping and everything comes more or less the same. luckily i saved i think a 100 euro not going for the core i7, i was quite deadset into it. Tommorrow morning ill be calling up to see if i can those parts i want :) 

Didn't i say right from the start that the MSI 660 Ti Power Edition was the best?
a b U Graphics card
November 11, 2012 9:49:06 PM

calumconroy said:
Nope BF3 only utilizes 4 cores (which equals 4 threads) but... the i7 will be faster in general desktop use and it will be better in multi-threaded apps like video editing/modeling/rendering/photoshop etc.
It's worth the investment if you have the money.
Get a GTX 670 or get a 660 Ti and buy an SSD - That'd be a good idea to speed up your pc even more.

Not true. BF3 uses many cores. That's why an FX-8350 can best an IB i5 or i7.
a c 160 U Graphics card
November 11, 2012 9:59:24 PM

blacknemesist said:

DO NOT GET THE POWER EDITION MSI CARD!!!! They overvolted the card, NVIDIA themselves banned the triple overvolting function!!!!

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/MSI-GTX-660-670-overvo...

These cards are popping steadily one after the other.
a c 160 U Graphics card
November 11, 2012 10:00:13 PM

calumconroy said:
Didn't i say right from the start that the MSI 660 Ti Power Edition was the best?

Let me repeat!!! STAY AWAY FROM MSI POWER EDITION GTX 660ti and GTX670. :o  :o  :o 

a b U Graphics card
November 11, 2012 10:06:29 PM

CaptainTom said:
Not true. BF3 uses many cores. That's why an FX-8350 can best an IB i5 or i7.

No it can't... Just look at the real performance, looking at your sig, you have a 3570K! Why would you say that an amd FX is better than a 3570K or 3770K for gaming?? Sure it might be better than i5 in multi threaded apps and better than i7 in a couple of multi threaded apps, but you currently can't beat a 3570K for gaming performance.
But i'm sure that will all change with Haswell ;) 
Anyone agree?
November 11, 2012 10:21:02 PM

For anyone wondering on how hyper threading works, the virtual cores are loaded up with tasks for the actual cores to do while they are waiting for information on their current work load. So rather than wasting processing cycles while waiting on things like cache or ram, the cycles are used for processing work loaded on the virtual cores. This works great with things like rendering because rendering relies heavily on ram, while games do not to the same degree.
November 11, 2012 10:55:20 PM

Just thought id post my 2 cents, Ive been researching these two cards as i intend to build a system with one of them myself next week. I just want to bring a few points up.

1: As has already been mentioned, with catalyst 12.11 'never settle' drivers, the gap between Nvidia and AMD in certain games such as battlefield 3 has been significantly narrowed, and i think it was a 7% increase in performance across the board according to techpowerup for the 7950. both will offer near equal performance, with the difference being only a few fps which is negligible. Go for one that is cheaper, more available in your area.

2: I have used both AMD and Nvidia cards, the current being the old Nvidia 9600GT hence the need for the upgrade :p  , and i believe BOTH are excellent choices depending on your situation. The rumor that AMD has rubbish drivers is not true, yes they have been slow to release updates sometimes in the past, but Nvidia has had its problems too. remember that time the green team released a graphics driver that stopped the cooling fan and caused overheating? in summary, both are good choices that will suit your needs, don't just listen to fanboys.

3: you need to take your gaming situation into account.
For example, If gaming in High resolutions (say 2560x1440) or on a multi-monitor setup, the 7950 will have a performance lead, thanks to its extra 1GB of GDDR5 memory (3GB as opposed to the 660ti's 2) and its greater memory interface bus. The 7950 has a 384 bit interface, whilst the 660ti only has a 192 bit interface.
However, if this is not the case (say gaming at a 1920x1080 standard resolution on 1 monitor) the 660ti is adequate and will not be limited by memory. The 660ti also has a slight advantage in clock speeds to, being clocked at 915 Mhz default (up to 980) as opposed to the Radeons 800 Mhz.

4: Lastly, the whole PhysX issue. If you plan on playing titles such as borderlands, batman, Alice, mafia 2 etc. that benefit from PhysX, get the Nvidia card. However, dont let this influence your buying decision too much. PhysX is hardly in any of the thousands of titles out there, and in games without it the difference is nothing. Yes, it makes the whole scene much more beautiful with smoke or object particles, however one factor is commonly forgotten. When physX is enabled, the GPU compute power needed for it will detract from your total framerate as well. just something to remeber, but it probably wont be an issue on the 660ti
!