Sign in with
Your question
Closed

GTX 660 Crashes

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 11, 2012 4:59:01 PM

I recently purchased an EVGA superclocked GTX 660. so far i have been very satisfied with its performance, but i have occasional crashes. It happens in every game, seemingly randomly. The screen will go dark for a second and switch to the desktop. what happens from here varies from game to game. sometimes i just need to alt tab back into the game and im fine, other times i need to use task manager to end the process, and still other times, the game switches back as if nothing happened. this is incredibly inconvenient and i would like to see it resolved. do you guys think this is a hardware or software issue. if its a hardware issue, i am still in my 30 day grace period from newegg, so i would like to figure it out while that is still an option.

More about : gtx 660 crashes

a b Î Nvidia
November 11, 2012 5:00:21 PM

I think it could be a software problem. Go reinstall your drivers or update, if you haven't done it. Try to monitor the heat of your hardware, something might be running hot!
a b Î Nvidia
November 11, 2012 5:37:22 PM

It wouldn't hurt to try it in another machine and did a popup show up saying that the card stopped responding to the display driver? If it had then that is one of the most common signs of there being an issue with the card.
Related resources
November 11, 2012 6:09:53 PM

i already tried the drivers. i even went into safe mode and used driver sweeper to get rid of old amd drivers from my 6870 and current nvidia drivers. and my temps are certainly not the problem, i idle in high 20s and under load i see mid 40s low 50s. ill try that out nforce, i have a cousin with a rig that has a 660 as well, so i can be sure im gettting accurate results

Best solution

a b Î Nvidia
November 12, 2012 12:55:04 AM

If software has been ruled out then you are left with a hardware issue. Even when the core temps are good there can still be problems with the card especially when under full load. One of the most common problems now days is issues with the card's internal power supply that converts 12v from the system psu into a more usable voltage for the gpu, memory, ect. Cooling issues for the power vrm are still very common with there being nothing at all or not enough so mosfet easily overheat so their performance suffers as temps increase so available power also decreases. The other problem is the inductors being too weak and often short lived although there is one type that stands out above the rest as being horrendous but sadly very common due to compact size.

The other potential cause is the system power supply having issues or the board and some cards just don't work very well with certain boards.
November 19, 2012 12:36:10 AM

nforce4max said:
If software has been ruled out then you are left with a hardware issue. Even when the core temps are good there can still be problems with the card especially when under full load. One of the most common problems now days is issues with the card's internal power supply that converts 12v from the system psu into a more usable voltage for the gpu, memory, ect. Cooling issues for the power vrm are still very common with there being nothing at all or not enough so mosfet easily overheat so their performance suffers as temps increase so available power also decreases. The other problem is the inductors being too weak and often short lived although there is one type that stands out above the rest as being horrendous but sadly very common due to compact size.

The other potential cause is the system power supply having issues or the board and some cards just don't work very well with certain boards.

i do have a very shitty old mobo right now. its an msi 870 that i got for like 50 bucks. that may be the issue. i plan on upgrading my 955 to 3470 soon, so maybe that will help. if not then i guess its time to send the card back and spend 2 weeks without gaming :( 
November 26, 2012 1:26:48 PM

Best answer selected by dob1026.
!