Status
Not open for further replies.

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
All Speed test 8 is a clear winner, games, apps, boottimes, multi tasking/switching. Been gaming and using Dreamweaver, 3dmax, the performance is well ahead in my work. I could only use 2 of this programs in 7. Windows 7 in most case freezes or stalls during the load of 3dmax, with the exact same programs loaded, I was unable to play bf3 without lag in windows 7, Windows 8 breezed with little to no interference. techspot has a great comparison. Gamers have the winning edge in games because 8 does make your pc faster then it predecessors

http://www.techspot.com/review/561-windows8-vs-windows7/page2.html

Now the price for Windows 8 is the same as for Windows 7 there is no reason to get it in preference to Windows 7 unless you have a touch screen. if you have a desktop computer then get Windows 7. Windows 8 is not any faster than Windows 7 for the most part, the only real speed improvement is in USB bulk transfer speed which is 15% faster and that will be introduced to Windows 7 soon according to Microsoft. Other speed improvements are due to things like Aero being disabled and no gadgets and the way it shuts down etc.
The real problem with Windows 8 is the interface is designed for a touch screen and on the desktop with a mouse it is just clumsy.

montosaurous

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012
I like Windows 8 more than Windows 7 overall, but there are two reasons why I don't use it:

1.) It is unstable, even more so than Vista was

2.) I've run into program incompatibility, especially with some older games I like that run fine on Windows 7 but have severe issues on Windows 8

If Microsoft can fix these two things I will go back to Windows 8 in a heartbeat. I gave it 2 months, and I'll probably use it again some time. Give it another year and both these things will be non-existent. Vista had these issues too, but by 2008 all of these things were gone because of updates. I like XP, it's a comfy OS but Vista is better for getting things done on capable computers. The same goes for Windows 8, or will in a year or two.

kyllien

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
Why do people always say that games or older games don't work on Windows 8 but never seem to include what those games are? I have yet to find anything that doesn't run on Windows 8.

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
Here is why windows 8 is faster then 7, second my bench show windows 8 running faster in all areas.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57478350-75/microsoft-explains-how-windows-8-smokes-windows-7/

Down in the story a little watch the video demonstrating how much faster 8 is. Yes I can play dos game in 8, dukenukeem and more. Just because some people cant get games to work does not mean they do not work. Its more they do not work for you
All results show windows 8 to be in top. Some compatibility updates has solved some Issues that were showing. Guru3d users state games feel smother, I say that too, why the video in the above will show you
If you base your opinion on toms hardware profile in bench, they were done before the updates were issued. And even then 8 is in the up side. They state sleeping dogs have issues but not for me, so don't go base your decision on one look that occurred a week after its launch. Like windows 7 took 200 updates to get where it is today
you can also watch the video here
http://bfvets.dyndns.org/Th/Graphics_high.mp4

dont post then

Hi :)

Look, ALL the regulars here KNOW you like 8, we KNOW you post huge amounts of JUNK about it from OTHER sites....

We KNOW you start LOTS of threads....

People like myself , who try to help other posters who come here with problems, are FED UP TO THE BACK TEETH WITH YOUR POSTING ABOUT 8 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You understand now ????

STOP POSTING JUNK !

All the best Brett :)

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
fat.jpg

bf42.jpg

older app working in 8 perfectly

wqbc

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012
I dont see any reason to not get windows 8. Get windows 8 with classic shell http://www.classicshell.net/ ("and stop yer bitching!" just kidding :p ). there is few reasons to use an old os, but the performance question "win 7 vs. win 8" stop it please! boot time is lower but still games and so on, no difference.

"All Speed test 8 is a clear winner, games, apps, boottimes, multi tasking/switching." ehh.. nope! - boot time, but if you really care that much for those two seconds of your life you need the patience from win 7

But still try win 8 i fell in love with it in a splitt second. People saying it's useless without touch obviously havent tryed it. If you hate the "metro" screen (like i did) i can tell you, i never see it, its easy to get to the desktop and you never have to leave to the metro screen or at least not in my experience.

Apps: if you're a gamer like me and dont care about apps try one if you get win 8 theres lots of free apps and find one that suits for you. i found an app for gym exercies "for some reason i think gaming dont give you abs dont know why, jk :p"

I did not do a clean install but so far the only problem I've had on win 8 is tribes acend but solved the problem by reinstalling it over night.

whether you like it or not win 8 is the future!

I'm not a native english speaker just saying :)

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
I have a few more dos games if somebody has a problem, the key is to go into your vcard settig and set the game up to use less hardware. Remember windows 8 is already accelerated, accelerated options cases your game not to run or artifacts with nvidias options.

Quantom8

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013

Actually the link you posted shows win 7 to outperform in win 8 in terms of gaming fps.

Perhaps you're using a freshly installed OS (win 8) which explains your apparent reduction in lag? Reinstalling windows has always shown (in my case) to provide a speed boost.

Eboyeboy5

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
I'm currently using Windows 7 on my laptop (and loving it) but will soon be making the jump to 8 when I purchase my new computer. I feel Windows 8 will be more of an acquired taste. But once you get the hang of it, I think you'll really like.

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
I see there is a new device that will hook onto the edge of a monitor which will allow us to use touch, if you have the urge. I think reaching over to touch the screen is pointless really. If you do use win 8 and your in the blue desktop and wondering how to close open titles, click and drag to bottom of screen and its closed. I find it is nice when you get a stupid store download, you can aggressively throw the ah heck to the bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.