Button mashing

ahlayna

Distinguished
May 9, 2011
My husband was playing a game. The screen froze up. He started mashing all kinds if buttons then shut it down (so he says). When I got to it there was a msg that says "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key". I shut it down, got into the bios and changed the priority to cd drive, saved it rebooted it. All I get now is that same message and I can't even access the bio now. Sigh. Any idea's aside from breaking his fingers?

ahlayna

Distinguished
May 9, 2011
Nope...I'm getting the chainsaw!! OMG....he did that much damage mashing buttons that I have to take out the battery! He's grounded from the computer. Thank you for the help!!

ahlayna

Distinguished
May 9, 2011
I took my husbands computer to an independant computer geek place (I am slightly computer challenged) and these guys told me that the mother board went out. They made no mention of the hard drive at all (which my long distance brother, builder of this rig, thinks the problem is too). They want to replace the mother board. Then on top of that these guys are telling me that some of the components may not work with the new mother board that they may have to be replaced too! Are these guys taking me for ride?

Note: Opted for electric knife...less mess and will save gas! Yes, I will wear eye protection.

ahlayna

Distinguished
May 9, 2011
It wouldn't let me into the bios...the computer is a home made gaming rig. I let them replace the mother board and cpu. It works like a dream now. I didn't want to have to go that route because it was so expensive but was really forced to do so as husband was having withdrawls and was really grouchy to have around. He has kept his fingers because it did turn out to be a "symptom" and not the "cause" of the problem. Thank you everyone for the help!!