kaelec

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
Hi i was just thinking about if my pc has a bottleneck and what it is?

Specs:

Processor AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4GHz

RAM 8192MB ddr3 1600

Video Card ATI Radeon HD 5770 CrossfireX (2 of them)

I think thats the most relevant info if you need more just ask.

Solution
It depends on what you are doing with your PC. If you are referring to gaming, your GPU's would be the first place I would look. A good GPU upgrade would give you better performance across the board in all games. A CPU upgrade will only give you better performance in games that take advantage of the newer architecture.

I'd recommend a GPU upgrade and if you want to take a hand at overclocking your CPU, that would give you the best upgrade.

If you are not referring to gaming, then we have to look at what apps you are questioning and pick them apart. I will not go into it because we could be here all day.
It depends on what you are doing with your PC. If you are referring to gaming, your GPU's would be the first place I would look. A good GPU upgrade would give you better performance across the board in all games. A CPU upgrade will only give you better performance in games that take advantage of the newer architecture.

I'd recommend a GPU upgrade and if you want to take a hand at overclocking your CPU, that would give you the best upgrade.

If you are not referring to gaming, then we have to look at what apps you are questioning and pick them apart. I will not go into it because we could be here all day.

Solution

angaddev

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
The Phenom x4 965 is a decent cpu, I had one in my old build. BEtter than Bulldozer. Anyway, I would upgrade to a 7870, depending on your budget. If you're looking to go more expensive try 2x 7870s, or a single 7950/70

kaelec

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
I've got a 750w chieftec powersupply, as for a budget im probably not going higher than 300 Euro for a new graphics card (if its worth upgrading with leaving my cpu as it is)

EDIT: I'm considering getting the 7870, but will my cpu become a huge bottleneck if i dont oc it?