Win 7 - XP Internet sahring

surpavan

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011
Greetings,

I have two PCs
PC1 have 1 on board lan, 1 usb lan(rj45) adapter and broadband connection (PPPOE Connection)
PC2 has 1 on board lan.

PC1-has Win7 with Zone Alarm. PC1 and PC2 are on trusted zone.
PC2 - has xp sp3 with all firewall disabled.

The PC1 and PC2 are connected via Crossover CAT5e Cable.

PC1 has internet connected to usb lan adapter via pppoe connection.

PC1 and PC2 have 192.168.10.x 255.255.255.0 Private IPs and are able ping and share files. But not able to share Internet connection.

I have gone through many articles and tried a lot but not able to get the internet shared. The broadband has both the PC mac updated.

Any help would be a great assist, and I cannot get a router too. I even tested with Firewall (zonealarm and windows firewall) off on both PCs, but no results.

Thanks and looking forward for assistance.

surpavan

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011

Yes, I have setup the net sharing on win 7 and shutdown the zone alarm, yet not results.

Neither PC1 nor PC2 should be using static IPs. The whole point of using ICS is to have it establish a new network (192.168.0.x) between PC1 and PC2. That happens automatically once ICS is enabled. ICS will set the IP of PC1 to 192.168.0.1, and then establish a DHCP server, which PC2 (presumably configured for DHCP) will query and get assigned from that DHCP server’s IP pool (most likely, 192.168.0.2).

IOW, you shouldn’t be doing ANYTHING wrt to PC1 and PC2 when it comes to their shared connection. Each of those adapters should be set to DHCP. Then enable ICS and ICS will automatically configure everything appropriately.

surpavan

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011
The problem is solved, although I added the lans to trusted zones in my Zone Alarm, I came to know after spending some 8hrs+ research that ZONE ALARM FREE version does not promote ICS, it does not support internet connection sharing.

Thanks for all the support. Now I am in hunt for a free firewall that support ICS :(

lickss

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
The whole point of using ICS is to have it establish a new network (192.168.0.x) between PC1 and PC2. That happens automatically once ICS is enabled.
g.php

surpavan

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011

Yes, that is correct, however, the problem was the free firewall although I added them to trusted, it could not solve it since it is free version, but now it is solved. Thanks.