Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Radeon 6870 not displaying anything

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 11, 2012 11:02:47 PM

I am building my first build with a friend who has experience and as we finished building, nothing on the monitor came up when we booted the pc up. We need to boot the computer into BIOS and install Windows 7. We used a VGA cable from the motherboard into my current monitor and also tried using a HDMI cable from the graphics card into my TV. The motherboard and the other components seem to be working (Fans, CD drive, graphics card fans, CPU Cooler, etc.)

The Graphics card is an XFX AMD Radeon 6870, which we plugged into the PCI-express slot. The thing is that I used a power supply by Thermaltake which is only 430 watts. This PSU only had 1 6 pin connector and we need 2 so we went to Microcenter and purchased a 2-molex to 1 6 pin connector. Is this adapter and/or the PSU the problem?

We were planning on returning the PSU and buying a new one that has 2 6-pin connectors, but wanted to ask people first.

More about : radeon 6870 displaying

Related resources

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
November 11, 2012 11:59:51 PM

this one? http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1247&id=15...

efficiency is only 65%, max 20 amperage. Not suited for your system at all.

I recommend not skimping on the psu department and doing you a favour by getting a quality brand ie; Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power & Cooling at least 600w and 80plus or higher certification for an efficient power supply.
November 12, 2012 9:36:42 PM

boju said:
this one? http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1247&id=15...

efficiency is only 65%, max 20 amperage. Not suited for your system at all.

I recommend not skimping on the psu department and doing you a favour by getting a quality brand ie; Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power & Cooling at least 600w and 80plus or higher certification for an efficient power supply.

Okay, thanks man. I can't wait to actually play Borderlands and League of Legends on my new PC.
November 20, 2012 8:51:54 PM

Best answer selected by CraftyBooze.
!