Which PSU for CrossFire Sapphire 7950 Vapox-X 3GB

euphoria4949

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to get a few opinions on what PSU wattage you would recommend for CrossFiring 2x Sapphire HD7950 Vapox-X 3GB's???
The reason I ask is because I looked at the manufactures site to get an idea of the PSU I would need, I then checked on a few PSU calculators to see if they came up with the same estimation I had and frankly I'm getting a lot of very different/weird recommendations from these calculators, some are saying as high as 1000w!! I'm thinking this might have something to do with the 7950 Vapor-X's requirement of 2x8-pin PCI's over the standard 7950's only requiring 2x6-pin PCI's.

So what's your opinion, what PSU wattage would you go for???
Cheers guys =)

Solution
Here is Guru3D's power supply recommendation:

Radeon HD 7950 - On your average system the card requires you to have a 500~550 Watt power supply unit.
Radeon HD 7950 Crossfire x2 - On your average system the cards require you to have a 700 Watt power supply unit as minimum.
Radeon HD 7950 Crossfire x3 - On your average system the cards require you to have a 850~900 Watt power supply unit as minimum.

If you are going to overclock GPU or processor, then we do recommend you purchase something with some more stamina. Source - http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/radeon_hd_7950_crossfire_review_2_and_3_way,5.html
Here is Guru3D's power supply recommendation:

Radeon HD 7950 - On your average system the card requires you to have a 500~550 Watt power supply unit.
Radeon HD 7950 Crossfire x2 - On your average system the cards require you to have a 700 Watt power supply unit as minimum.
Radeon HD 7950 Crossfire x3 - On your average system the cards require you to have a 850~900 Watt power supply unit as minimum.

If you are going to overclock GPU or processor, then we do recommend you purchase something with some more stamina. Source - http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/radeon_hd_7950_crossfire_review_2_and_3_way,5.html

Solution