Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Will CX600 PSU suffice?

Last response: in Systems
December 28, 2012 1:33:03 PM

Building a gaming rig for a friend, the only thing he's purchased is a CX600 PSU. He's dead set on SLI 670's, I know Corsair is a good name for PSU's but will this cut it? other system specs we are shooting for: 3770K, 2-HDD's and an SSD

Thanks

More about : cx600 psu suffice

Best solution

December 28, 2012 1:55:42 PM

You would be fine running one GTX670 on that PSU with the system specified. I would not recommend running 2. You will want at the minimum a top notch 650W power supply to run dual 670's. I am also assuming he will be overclocking the CPU due to the "K" model. So I would go for something even a little more powerful. I would tell him to chop the I7 down to an I5-3570K and take that $100 difference and get a better PSU, or settle for a single 670.

Here is an article that will get you in the ball park. http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_670_2_...

When I say top notch 650W, I mean something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The Seasonic 650w is actually a really good deal right now and should hold that system just fine. It is a top tier PSU. If you want a little extra headroom, they have a 750W model. But honestly this power supply in particular should hold that system fine. There are really only a few out there that are 650W that I would recommend for that.

Tell him if he wants a big boy system, he needs a big boy power supply.

December 28, 2012 2:09:02 PM

Best answer selected by bikeordie1.
m
l
Related resources
December 28, 2012 2:09:45 PM

Thanks! I'll keep the CX600 for myself then... :) 
m
l
December 28, 2012 2:37:45 PM

bikeordie1 said:
Thanks! I'll keep the CX600 for myself then... :) 

You have to get something out of the deal, right? :D 

It's also always fun spending someone else s money. And you don't want them coming back and having issues. If I build for someone, I always get good parts to make sure I don't need to bother with it again. Although they usually screw up Windows and get malware and let their AV expire. Typical users.
m
l
!