Sign in with
Your question
Solved

D-Link DIR-655 Not Broadcasting - Bad Radio?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
December 31, 2011 3:38:37 AM

I'm setting up a wireless network in my home for the first time (been wired up until this point), and I just bought a refurbished D-Link DIR-655 router from Newegg. Wired connections are working just fine over the router, but for some reason it won't broadcast a wireless signal.

Wireless has been enabled on the configuration page and is set to visible, and the LED indicator on the front of the router itself is indicating that wireless is enabled. However, none of my wireless devices can detect the wireless network and on the router's status page it's claiming that the wireless radio is off (despite also saying that it's enabled).

No signal can be detected even just a few feet away from the router, so this is definitely not an interference problem. I've tried updating the unit to the latest firmware version (2.03NA) and that did not help. I've tried factory resetting, testing different wireless modes (802.11b/g/n, 802.11b, 802.11g, and 802.11n), rebooting the router, and nothing has worked. I'm at a bit of a loss here.

So I'm wondering if the wireless transmitter in this router could be defective and whether I should return it. Thoughts? Ideas?

Thank you for your time.

Best solution

a b F Wireless
December 31, 2011 1:33:20 PM

Sounds like a broken radio to me (esp. given it's a refurbished unit).
January 8, 2012 9:25:57 PM

Thanks, I've returned it to NewEgg for a replacement.
m
l
January 16, 2012 1:16:05 AM

Best answer selected by DaCheez.
m
l
!