Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Sensor cleaning; Latest "scam artist" refuge

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 9:06:03 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"Pete D" <no@email.com> wrote in message
news:H4sqe.13131$F7.1014@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
>
> "RichA" <none@none.com> wrote in message
> news:67gka1tb3ntg7nso4kuun2gqaq6kfon5h6@4ax.com...
>> http://www.visibledust.com/sensorbrush_wash_details.htm...
>>
>
> But Rich, the testimonials, it must work??
>
It works to generate income for the scammers if that's what you mean ;) 
Related resources
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 12:32:13 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

RichA <none@none.com> wrote:

> http://www.visibledust.com/sensorbrush_wash_details.htm...

I guess this means the supply of people willing to pay a hundred bucks for
a brush is dwindling, so they're branching out into the area of "brush
accessories". After all, any brush that costs a hundred bucks must need
a bunch of accessories!

--
Jeremy | jeremy@exit109.com
June 12, 2005 7:37:27 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 13:34:08 GMT, RM wrote:


> I picked up a set of 'sizing-free' brushes inexpensively on eBay (eBay
> search on 'sensor brush').

Just to check - were the brushes you got the same as these ones?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=...

If so I'll get some myself :-)

Thanks-

JoeB
June 12, 2005 9:34:19 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

In article <xwij82ee4u04.1crdflonf5vze$.dlg@40tude.net>, morph@clara.co.uk
says...
> On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 13:34:08 GMT, RM wrote:
>
>
> > I picked up a set of 'sizing-free' brushes inexpensively on eBay (eBay
> > search on 'sensor brush').
>
> Just to check - were the brushes you got the same as these ones?
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=...
>
> If so I'll get some myself :-)
>
> Thanks-
>
> JoeB
>

They appear to be the same brushes I got at CVS drugs for $2.99 (US) each. I
did, however, have to wash out the sizing.


--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 11:23:52 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

JoeB wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 13:34:08 GMT, RM wrote:
>
>
>
>>I picked up a set of 'sizing-free' brushes inexpensively on eBay (eBay
>>search on 'sensor brush').
>
>
> Just to check - were the brushes you got the same as these ones?
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=...
>
> If so I'll get some myself :-)
>
> Thanks-
>
> JoeB

Yup that's them.

RM
June 13, 2005 1:31:18 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

In article <dulpa11k1gs1uiu6leb9q045l1dtiuba2d@4ax.com>,
FlintsTone@nospam.com says...
> Well I never said don't clean the brush, but $1 for a fancy detergent tablet?
>
> Hey, maybe an effordent tablet would work!
>
> I put a few drops of liquid baby soap (no additive perfumes) in a cup and
> pretend I'm gonna shave Clint Eastwood with the soap cream! Then I rinse the
> brush till there's no soap left, and put it into a plastic bag like you - good
> idea!
>

I agree about the 1 dollar detergent tablet...

Maybe we should get together.. you make the soap [[ NOW IN A CONVIENIENT
LIQUID FORM!!! ]]

I'll get the brushes, and we can sell them as a set: two brushes and a small
vial of soap only 55 dollars (US) cash or money orders only please!

That would be about $6 our cost for a neat 49 dollar profit. We gotta charge
at least $25 for shipping though.


--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.
June 13, 2005 2:29:40 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"Larry" <lastingimagery@comcast.dotnet> wrote in message
news:MPG.1d16abed25d0c26a9899f6@news.comcast.giganews.com...
> In article <dulpa11k1gs1uiu6leb9q045l1dtiuba2d@4ax.com>,
> FlintsTone@nospam.com says...
>> Well I never said don't clean the brush, but $1 for a fancy detergent
>> tablet?
>>
>> Hey, maybe an effordent tablet would work!
>>
>> I put a few drops of liquid baby soap (no additive perfumes) in a cup and
>> pretend I'm gonna shave Clint Eastwood with the soap cream! Then I rinse
>> the
>> brush till there's no soap left, and put it into a plastic bag like you -
>> good
>> idea!
>>
>
> I agree about the 1 dollar detergent tablet...
>
> Maybe we should get together.. you make the soap [[ NOW IN A CONVIENIENT
> LIQUID FORM!!! ]]
>
> I'll get the brushes, and we can sell them as a set: two brushes and a
> small
> vial of soap only 55 dollars (US) cash or money orders only please!
>
> That would be about $6 our cost for a neat 49 dollar profit. We gotta
> charge
> at least $25 for shipping though.
>
>
> --
> Larry Lynch
> Mystic, Ct.

If it is dust y'all are concerned with, all this will be need to be done in
a Class 100
clean room (your part plus the consumer's sensor cleaning). Oh, I see tons
of consulting
work on the horizon!

George
June 13, 2005 3:18:11 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 19:23:52 GMT, RM wrote:

> JoeB wrote:
>> On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 13:34:08 GMT, RM wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>>>I picked up a set of 'sizing-free' brushes inexpensively on eBay (eBay
>>>search on 'sensor brush').
>>
>>
>> Just to check - were the brushes you got the same as these ones?
>>
>> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=...
>>
>> If so I'll get some myself :-)
>>
>> Thanks-
>>
>> JoeB
>
> Yup that's them.

Much obliged - thanks.

JoeB
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 4:11:40 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 22:19:11 -0400, Drifter <zespectre@askme.com>
wrote:

>On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 21:30:40 -0400, Bob <FlintsTone@nospam.com> wrote:
[...]
>
>Reminds me of an ad I saw recently for milk that actually said "now
>with calcium".
>
>Gee, what will the advertising agency come up with next?
>
>
>Drifter
>"I've been here, I've been there..."

Well informed sources tell me that the main ingredient in the sensor
brush cleaning solution is highly purified snake oil. Or was it snake
pheromones?... but that might be another product.
June 13, 2005 4:11:41 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

In article <30koa15a902hh1ina03cb3su0rv26qqv77@news.alt.net>, abuse@localhost
says...
> Well informed sources tell me that the main ingredient in the sensor
> brush cleaning solution is highly purified snake oil. Or was it snake
> pheromones?... but that might be another product.
>

The only liquid I use in a "wet cleaning" is Lab standard distilled, de-
ionized water. (I can have as much as 5 gallons a day from the lab at work
so I never run short of pure water). If you Only use pure water, you wont
leave any residue behind.




--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.
June 13, 2005 4:11:42 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 17:37:49 -0400, Larry <lastingimagery@comcast.dotnet> wrote:

>In article <30koa15a902hh1ina03cb3su0rv26qqv77@news.alt.net>, abuse@localhost
>says...
>> Well informed sources tell me that the main ingredient in the sensor
>> brush cleaning solution is highly purified snake oil. Or was it snake
>> pheromones?... but that might be another product.
>>
>
>The only liquid I use in a "wet cleaning" is Lab standard distilled, de-
>ionized water. (I can have as much as 5 gallons a day from the lab at work
>so I never run short of pure water). If you Only use pure water, you wont
>leave any residue behind.

I heard you can make great coffee with that water, my friend used to work in a
horse urine lab and he could get the water. (Never tried the urine...)
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 7:08:51 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Larry wrote:
> In article <xwij82ee4u04.1crdflonf5vze$.dlg@40tude.net>, morph@clara.co.uk
> says...
>
>>On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 13:34:08 GMT, RM wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>>>I picked up a set of 'sizing-free' brushes inexpensively on eBay (eBay
>>>search on 'sensor brush').
>>
>>Just to check - were the brushes you got the same as these ones?
>>
>>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=...
>>
>>If so I'll get some myself :-)
>>
>>Thanks-
>>
>>JoeB
>>
>
>
> They appear to be the same brushes I got at CVS drugs for $2.99 (US) each. I
> did, however, have to wash out the sizing.
>
>

As I said, the eBay brushes do NOT have sizing in them, and so require
no washing upon receipt. I did the 'filter' test when I got them, and a
thousand swipes on the multicoated filter revealed no residue whatsoever
(OK, I'm anal about such things).

RM
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 7:21:35 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Bob <FlintsTone@nospam.com> wrote:

> I heard you can make great coffee with that water, my friend used to
> work in a horse urine lab and he could get the water. (Never tried the
> urine...)
>

No, it makes wretched coffee. Good coffee requires a certain mineral
content to the water. The SCAA has pretty specific recommendations
concering this. Also, deionized water will trash the aluminum innards of
most coffee makers.
June 13, 2005 12:50:31 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

In article <7N6re.477$td.390202@twister.southeast.rr.com>, rainmen1956
@yahooREMOVETHIS.com says...
> As I said, the eBay brushes do NOT have sizing in them, and so require
> no washing upon receipt. I did the 'filter' test when I got them, and a
> thousand swipes on the multicoated filter revealed no residue whatsoever
> (OK, I'm anal about such things).
>
> RM
>

Yeah.. I did the Filter test the HARD way... using the sensor!

Anyhow, the brushes at CVS are "good to go" after a five minute session of
washing/rinsing and they are only $2.99 with a reusable (c) ZipLock pouch.


--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.
June 13, 2005 12:55:21 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

In article <Xns9673D950916A0dilfjelfoiwepofujsdk@216.168.3.30>,
rnorton@_remove_this_thuntek.net says...
> No, it makes wretched coffee. Good coffee requires a certain mineral
> content to the water. The SCAA has pretty specific recommendations
> concering this. Also, deionized water will trash the aluminum innards of
> most coffee makers.
>

These Words Are The TRUTH!

We made coffee with this "super pure" water; ONCE!

Once was enough.

It is, however recommended for cleaning, sterilization, steam irons, clothes
steamers ect., ect. In short, anything where you dont want the water to leave
any type of impurity behind. (all our labware, which is used to test water
purity, is rinsed several times with it, as well as using it to make lab
standards for certain tests).

It does have a rather low Ph and it doesn't taste good, it tastes like water
with all the flavor removed.


--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 1:07:12 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Drifter <zespectre@askme.com> writes:

> Reminds me of an ad I saw recently for milk that actually said "now
> with calcium".
>
> Gee, what will the advertising agency come up with next?

We were driving in the Lancaster area of Pennsylvania quite a few years ago,
and noticed a hotel billboard advertising "clean showers". We figured if
"clean showers" is the best feature a hotel can tout, it might be best to spend
a few dollars more and upgrade to a nicer hotel.

--
Michael Meissner
email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org
http://www.the-meissners.org
June 13, 2005 8:44:48 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

In article <6njra1dklnlk25siifmet92ifgr5f8kv56@4ax.com>, prar@nospam.com
says...
> DERWENT Re: Sensor cleaning; Latest "scam artist" refuge
> Mon, 13 Jun 2005 08:55:21 -0400, Larry
> <lastingimagery@comcast.dotnet>
>
>
>
>
> >It does have a rather low Ph and it doesn't taste good, it tastes like water
> >with all the flavor removed.
>
>
> Shouldn't pure water have a neutral pH?
>
> PRAR
>

Yes, but in the drinking water industry (in which I work) neutral Ph is
considered LOW and not desired in your plumbing. 7.5 is considered nominal
and though 7.0 is neutral and 7.5 seems only a little higher, it takes a
gazzilion (scientific term <G>) hydrogen ions to make that difference, and
7.0 is much more corossive to copper (home) plumbing and Iron (water
company). So the Ph is held at 7.5 to 7.7 as a corrosion control measure.
(also makes the water seem "sweeter")

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.
June 13, 2005 11:59:09 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 08:55:21 -0400, Larry <lastingimagery@comcast.dotnet> wrote:

>In article <Xns9673D950916A0dilfjelfoiwepofujsdk@216.168.3.30>,
>rnorton@_remove_this_thuntek.net says...
>> No, it makes wretched coffee. Good coffee requires a certain mineral
>> content to the water. The SCAA has pretty specific recommendations
>> concering this. Also, deionized water will trash the aluminum innards of
>> most coffee makers.
>>
>
>These Words Are The TRUTH!
>
>We made coffee with this "super pure" water; ONCE!
>
>Once was enough.

Glad you told me, I won't bother trying it!

>It is, however recommended for cleaning, sterilization, steam irons, clothes
>steamers ect., ect. In short, anything where you dont want the water to leave
>any type of impurity behind. (all our labware, which is used to test water
>purity, is rinsed several times with it, as well as using it to make lab
>standards for certain tests).
>
>It does have a rather low Ph and it doesn't taste good, it tastes like water
>with all the flavor removed.

That reminds me of a friend of mine who held up a glass of my tap water to the
light and remarked, " Ah... I love the city, where the water is a meal in
itself" !
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 3:05:49 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Jeremy Nixon wrote:
> RichA <none@none.com> wrote:
>
>
>>http://www.visibledust.com/sensorbrush_wash_details.htm...
>
>
> I guess this means the supply of people willing to pay a hundred bucks for
> a brush is dwindling, so they're branching out into the area of "brush
> accessories". After all, any brush that costs a hundred bucks must need
> a bunch of accessories!
>

No, no. The next big thing is LASER sensor cleaning.
!