Windows 7 Blue Screen of Death

xposeidon

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
Hey guys, hopefully you can help me with this one. I just built a new pc and installed windows 7 ultimate on it, everything worked fine but I started getting a BSOD, it looks like this http://www.fixerror.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/bdo69870.jpeg

I noticed it usually happens when installing something. After I get it and the system reboots it fails to do so because it can't locate the hard drive so I have to reboot it again, on the second try it finds it and reboots normally.

The error number I've got is 0x000000F4

The first time i saw it was in the control panel of my nvidia card

I did a disk clean up - chkdsk/r on command and no errors were found.

I also tried sfc/scannow but did not find the problem.

I also installed speedfan and core temp to check cpu fans and temp, didn't think these would have viruses but who knows.

Your help is greatly appreciated, I'm excited about my build but this is sort of killing it.

My specs are:

i5-2500k
asusp8z68 pro I think
i got a cpu 212 evo cooler
a 1tb western digital black hard drive
a nvidia gtx 570
a sound blaster card
a case with 4 fans
a 760 power supply
8gb of g.skill 2x4gb ram ddr3
some sony optical drive

Thanks for your help.

Solution
Bug Check 0xF4: CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION

The CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION bug check has a value of 0x000000F4. This indicates that a process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated.

Could be a few things, but lets check out RAM first, since its the most likely canidate. Test each stick of RAM with memtest86/Prime95.

After RAM, next most likely cause is drivers.

terryd75

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012

i WOULD BET MONEY THAT IT'S VIDEO CARD RELATED ISSUE. Have you tried running secunia psi...... It's free software that will scan your computer and make sure that all of your software is upt o date. i have found it to be very helpful. If you are overclocking your video card.....your issue is almost certainly related to that...... Your Asus mbod came with software to help you overclock? Go back to normal settings and see if your issue goes away. if you overclock again, go a little bit at a time....so you'll know which setting started causing your problem. Hope this was helpful.

terryd75

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012

By the way.....what psu do u have? Are you running enough power? Sounds like you need about 850 watts minimum. There are websites that will help u calculate how much power you need.

xposeidon

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
Well I ran that PSI and found some updates but nothing major, 1 was a direct x and others were ms office. Also a few NET Updates and Windows updates which wouldn't install when I clicked the program, so I checked for updates myself and it found alot, which I'm installing and hope that it fixes the problem.

Another thing to note is that I switched Ethernet cables once (I have a wired connection) and the BSOD came on after that, also my ethernet light is always steady orange, however I can connect to the internet for some reason. Though I had to remove firewall to access sites like netflix. I had to run the motherboard cd to get the drives installed though for me to start getting network signal.

Lastly my PSU is a 760w power and cooler silencer 80 silver plus, from what I read that should be more than enough to run my system.

Bug Check 0xF4: CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION

The CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION bug check has a value of 0x000000F4. This indicates that a process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated.

Could be a few things, but lets check out RAM first, since its the most likely canidate. Test each stick of RAM with memtest86/Prime95.

After RAM, next most likely cause is drivers.

Solution

xposeidon

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012

Okay I will do that when I get home (at work right now)

One more thing I'd like to add is that My hard drive is a 3g SATA, but I used a 6gb SATA cable connected to a 6gb Marvell SATA port, I read somewhere that it doesn't make a difference but thought I'd throw that out there.

TRENDING THREADS