Standoffs don't screw all the way into their holes?

flump9

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012
I have the EZcool HA-900b and when I go to screw my stand offs in they screw in but about 1/2 of the standoffs threads stay not screwed in. Will this cause a problem with grounding and will it be OK to proceed with them like this?

Use only the ones that go all the way in and match in heighth. You don't need to line up and use all your mounting holes to install the motherboard. Any where the threads are stripped should not be used. Any that don't line up with mounting holes on the board and touch circuitry should be removed.

flump9

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012
Well all of my standoffs don't go down all the way, so should I take some pliers and twist them until they are flush with the motherboard tray? This is really confusing and I don't know why they would do this. Would you like me to upload some pictures?

flump9

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012
So should I do this:

1. Try Motherboard on standoffs
2. If the motherboard fits and lines up with the I/O, go along as usu, if not, tighten down the standoffs more.

Would this be OK?

ittimjones

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2012
yeah, it'll be fine to tighten the standoffs all the way. they are supporting the weight of not only ur mobo, but also ur GPU, RAM, CPU cooler, and cables tugging on it. you want them tightly into the mobo tray.

there are 2 reasons u want them tight
1) to support all the weight of the components supported by them.
2) so that should u ever try to remove the mobo, they do not unscrew instead of the screws that go into them (you don't want them stuck to ur mobo)

flump9

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012
I cant return the case, as I have already taken out a fake I/O shield that needs it and it was a christmas present, so I feel really bad returning it.

flump9

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012

Thanks for the help, ive noticed that my finger tight isnt very tight at all, so i'm going to use some pliers and tighten the standoff so it goes down all the way.

Mastashake15

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
All that's going to do is strip the threads. When you tighten something to the point of finger tight it means it's already at the bottom. What tightening a threaded fastener what it actually does is put tension the threads and stretch the fastener, not move it down any further. The soft threads in that case are going to be junk if you do anything much past finger tight. Hopefully you have a tap and die set. It would be very simple and quick to just drill all the holes slightly deeper and tap them afterwards, this way all the standoffs will sit at the bottom like they should. This is assuming you have a basic selection of tools though.

Looking at the case, it looks to me like the threads are on two different levels, requiring different sized standoffs.

Sor the standoffs by size, if they are different and use the shorter ones where they do not screw in that far.

If this is not the problem, contact customer support for the case.

You could try adding a washer or two to some of the standoffs so that when they are installed, they are about the same level.
Actually, a motherboard can flex a little without a problem.

I do not advocate tightening anything with high mechanical force.
Snug is fine. That might mean using more than finger tight, but not much more than that.
If you ever tighten things too tight, you may have to cut up your motherboard or case to separate them. Not good.

Also... check the threads on the standoffs that will not screw in completely. You might have some stripped threads.

flump9

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012

My thread aren't actually getting into the hole completely though, they are sticking out a bit, so should I see when I get my motherboard if it fits with the I.O shield and if it does just leave it like that?

If the motherboard seems secure and is not bent, I could go with that.