New build will not turn on

coolmanfoo

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
I just upgraded my system (first time ive done anything serious with builds) with new case,mobo, SSD, and ram. I placed everything in my new case when i press the power button absolutely nothing happens. No lights, fans, anything! I think everything is plugged in correctly. Specs are listed below

NZXT phantom full tower- case
asus z77 sabertooth- mobo
intel i7 2600k- processor
corsair 1600mhz, 16g ram
corsair SSD
Asus gtx 680 - GPU
corsair AX 850 psu.

so the first time i tried to install the mobo i forgot the stands off and tried to screw stuff into the case straight from the mobo and then i realized my mistake and went back to correct it. Do you think that could have caused damage? Also, with that motherboard do you use ram slots 1 and 3? Thanks for all the help! hope i can get this computer started soon as i have most of my savings invested in it!

chugot9218

Honorable
Did you start it with it installed incorrectly? If so, it could have damaged it. If not, you can try breadboarding it, did you make sure both the 24-pin and the 8-pin MOBO power plugs are in? And you also likely have to have a fan plugged into the CPU_FAN slot, but I think you'd see some response if you didn't.

If you had a short or other electrical problem, you'd typically see a flicker, but to get nothing makes me wonder about the switch. Make sure the Power Switch wires are plugged into the right pins; my eyes are bad enough that I always need to check / recheck those.

coolmanfoo

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
so the psu im using is completely modular and the main 24 pin connector to the motherboard has a 20 pin and an 8 pin connector on the side that plugs into the psu. I currently only have the 20 pin plugged in. Do i also need to plug in the smaller 8 pin that is kind of split off of it? im feeling like a noob after that question lol

jonjonjon

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012

on my first ever build i forget the power cable. took me 45 mins to figure it out.

yes the 8 pin needs to be plugged in. look in the top left corner.

What power supply do you have?

coolmanfoo

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
ok so here is the latest update. I was able to get the system to turn on but heres what happens. All the fans turn on (the fan on the PSU turns off after a few seconds) but my keyboard/mouse and monitor are all off. and there is a green light on the bottom of my mobo (sabertooth z77). when i first turn on the system it sounds like there is a click and then a red light flashes somewhere near the CPU but turns off right away. However, a red light stays on over by the ram and near the memok button.

The click is most likely just the PSU coming on.
The red LED near the RAM that stays on indicates a memory problem. The MemOK button may be able to get it working for you.
The red light that flashes briefly by the CPU is normal; had it stayed on it would mean a problem.

coolmanfoo

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
Well I want to start by saying thanks for the help :) it is greatly appreciated. So far ive tried putting both sticks in, and then each individual stick in slot A2 and nothing has worked. I will try to put my old ram back in there. If that doesnt work im guessing it is safe to say that the motherboard is defective? Another quick question, is it true a bent cpu pin can affect ram? Thanks again!

coolmanfoo

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
Well I would like to thank everyone who helped me! I was finally able to fix the situation by resetting the CMOS and reseating the ram. After that the computer turned right on and has been running flawlessly since!