Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

GTX 660 with i3 or i5

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share

Which is Best among these?

Total: 52 votes (14 blank votes)

  • i5 3470 + GTX 660
  • 56 %
  • i3 3220 + GTX 660
  • 7 %
  • FX 6100 + 7850
  • 3 %
  • i3 3220 + 7850
  • 13 %
  • i5 3570k + 650 Ti
  • 22 %
  • i5 3570k + 560 Ti
  • 3 %
  • FX 8150 + 6870
  • 0 %
a b U Graphics card
November 12, 2012 10:43:00 AM

Guys building a new Rig. Need help

***MY PREFERENCE**

I want to play every game on 1080p on High Graphics {NOT ULTRA}.
It should have average of 45 FPS or more.
It would be better if it will be Future-proof.


My Mood now is to buy:

Intel i5 3470 {Maybe i3 3220 or AMD}
MSI NVIDIA N660 TF 2GD5/OC 2 GB GDDR5
MSI ZH77A-G41 Motherboard
G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) PC RAM
Corsair CMPSU-500CXV2UK 500 Watts PSU


***MY QUERIES***


Is everything good?
Is something bottleneck ?
Would everything fit each other Perfectly?
Will i3 be a bottleneck for GTX 660?
Is there a major difference between I3 3220 and i5 3470 in Gaming?
Am I missing any major part of computer?
Do I need any cooling devices if I keep all parts at stock speed?
Will I be able to play most games with 1080p on High {Maybe ULTRA} with average 45 fps? **Specially BF3**
Is it future proof? If, then how long?

More about : gtx 660

a b U Graphics card
November 12, 2012 10:48:00 AM

It is future proof for about 2 years according to me, it will possibly play games in 2 years on med-high settings. Nothing will bottleneck, but if you want to upgrade GPU in the future, then you might wanna upgrade your PSU to about 700 watts.

I myself own the GTX 660, and it takes almost anything you throw at it on ultra settings.
a b U Graphics card
November 12, 2012 12:44:24 PM

+1 to that, except GTX660 is only 130-140 watt TDP so a quality 500 watt PSU probably could handle two in SLI. Not that you'd need two yet. This looks good to me, but obviously you're missing storage. Were you planning to just reuse an old hard disk? SSDs have come way down in price now - £80 could get you a 120GB Vertex 4 or Samsung 830.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
November 12, 2012 12:54:21 PM

sam_p_lay said:
+1 to that, except GTX660 is only 130-140 watt TDP so a quality 500 watt PSU probably could handle two in SLI. Not that you'd need two yet. This looks good to me, but obviously you're missing storage. Were you planning to just reuse an old hard disk? SSDs have come way down in price now - £80 could get you a 120GB Vertex 4 or Samsung 830.

Sorry but i don't recommend someone to run two 660's on a 500 watt.. never give yourself the "Barely enough headroom" route. Always have atleast an extra 50-75 watts
a c 291 U Graphics card
November 12, 2012 12:56:23 PM

i5-3470 with GTX 660 would be the best combo. You want intel for gaming, and quad core i5 will be enough for a very long time. On the other hand, GTX 660 is a very decent card as well, and that combo would be a pretty balanced setup.
a b U Graphics card
November 12, 2012 12:56:39 PM

Rockdpm said:
Sorry but i don't recommend someone to run two 660's on a 500 watt.. never give yourself the "Barely enough headroom" route. Always have atleast an extra 50-75 watts


I think I actually misunderstood lostgamer_03's post anyway - he was talking about an upgrade in general, not necessarily SLI.

On the topic of wattage though, 2 * 140 = 280 for graphics, plus 77 for CPU. That's 357 watts for the main components. Motherboard, front drives and fans won't take that anywhere near 500 watts. I would certainly agree about keeping some headroom, but these components shouldn't get anywhere near 500 watts?
a b U Graphics card
November 12, 2012 2:10:42 PM

While a CPU's total TDP is 77. It may get up to 130 watts when underload and overclocked. Now the votes are going more for the 3470 which is a hard to OC CPu vs a K Chip. Now for GPU's. the 680 for example has a tdp of 195 if i remember correctly. But when underload it can get up to wellover 200 watts of TDP.
a b U Graphics card
November 12, 2012 2:15:20 PM

Rockdpm said:
While a CPU's total TDP is 77. It may get up to 130 watts when underload and overclocked. Now the votes are going more for the 3470 which is a hard to OC CPu vs a K Chip. Now for GPU's. the 680 for example has a tdp of 195 if i remember correctly. But when underload it can get up to wellover 200 watts of TDP.


True, but you'd have a hard time getting 357 watts of core components all exceeding their TDP by that amount. Let's say for the sake of argument the remaining components will take the total to 450 watts (highly unlikely though), that's still 50 watts left over and you're assuming there's no headroom already built into the PSU (which there is).
a b U Graphics card
November 12, 2012 2:20:46 PM

sam_p_lay said:
True, but you'd have a hard time getting 357 watts of core components all exceeding their TDP by that amount. Let's say for the sake of argument the remaining components will take the total to 450 watts (highly unlikely though), that's still 50 watts left over and you're assuming there's no headroom already built into the PSU (which there is).

I'm not saying your wrong. I'm just trying to state the theory.. You have the theory correct. and yes there would be 550 watts but and yes i know i said 680 but again the minimum recommended PSU for a 680 is 550 watts for just one. thats with a CPU< Hard drive, etc etc. So yea in theory your right but over time a power supply will loose efficiency cutting out some of those free'd up power lines for the extra little bits of headroom you speak of... If you still think i'm wrong. then don't reply to me, I'm tired of explaining things to regulars that think they are all correct.
a b U Graphics card
November 12, 2012 2:27:33 PM

No need to get your knickers in a twist mate, we're not fighting here. I'm not really a regular anyway, mostly just observe on here. I'd actually personally buy a bigger PSU anyway just because I don't buy to a strict budget and would feel happier with a PSU I had complete confidence in. OP appears to be building to a budget though, and a 500 watt unit would do it for a single GTX660 and probably SLI. But yeah, 550 watts or more would be good to be on the safe side. It's a side point anyway - OP wasn't asking about power.
a b U Graphics card
November 12, 2012 2:45:07 PM

sam_p_lay said:
No need to get your knickers in a twist mate, we're not fighting here. I'm not really a regular anyway, mostly just observe on here. I'd actually personally buy a bigger PSU anyway just because I don't buy to a strict budget and would feel happier with a PSU I had complete confidence in. OP appears to be building to a budget though, and a 500 watt unit would do it for a single GTX660 and probably SLI. But yeah, 550 watts or more would be good to be on the safe side. It's a side point anyway - OP wasn't asking about power.

couldn't agree with you any more
a b U Graphics card
November 12, 2012 2:48:26 PM

Rockdpm said:
couldn't agree with you any more


Glad to hear it :-) Don't forget to vote if you didn't already.
a c 130 U Graphics card
November 12, 2012 2:58:26 PM

The build looks pretty much perfect, I would however agree that for the sake of peace of mind and to allow for future upgrades that a 650 PSU would be better.

Mactronix :) 
a b U Graphics card
November 12, 2012 3:03:20 PM

sam_p_lay said:
Glad to hear it :-) Don't forget to vote if you didn't already.

I accidently voted for the wrong one when i joined in on the thread... i thought i saw 660 ti. but instead it was a 650 ti...
a b U Graphics card
November 12, 2012 4:47:49 PM

Rockdpm said:
I accidently voted for the wrong one when i joined in on the thread... i thought i saw 660 ti. but instead it was a 650 ti...


Haha wupsy. Well it's a pretty cool little card anyway, not a bad recommendation.
a c 217 U Graphics card
November 12, 2012 5:17:10 PM

This is a tough one. Option 1 gives you a better foundation for the future, but option 3 is likely better right now if you OC the graphics card even a little bit.
a c 80 U Graphics card
November 12, 2012 5:35:58 PM

A 650W PSU would be a bad idea unless you intend to run two graphics cards. Which the motherboard doesn't support properly anyway. So stick with the 500W PSU.
a c 130 U Graphics card
November 12, 2012 6:17:46 PM

Sakkura said:
A 650W PSU would be a bad idea unless you intend to run two graphics cards. Which the motherboard doesn't support properly anyway. So stick with the 500W PSU.


Care to explain the logic behind that statement ?

Mactronix :) 
a b U Graphics card
November 12, 2012 6:42:31 PM

mactronix said:
Care to explain the logic behind that statement ?

Mactronix :) 

What kind of a cluster F is this guy talking about?
a c 80 U Graphics card
November 12, 2012 6:53:25 PM

mactronix said:
Care to explain the logic behind that statement ?

Mactronix :) 

Sure. The motherboard does not support SLI and only has 4 PCIe 2.0 lanes in the second graphics card slot.
With a single graphics card and the same CPU etc., 500W is more than plenty. Even a Radeon HD 7970 GHz only pushes system power draw to just over 300W under load. And that's with an overclocked Sandy Bridge-E processor.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7970-ghz-...
a c 130 U Graphics card
November 12, 2012 9:04:00 PM

Sakkura said:
Sure. The motherboard does not support SLI and only has 4 PCIe 2.0 lanes in the second graphics card slot.
With a single graphics card and the same CPU etc., 500W is more than plenty. Even a Radeon HD 7970 GHz only pushes system power draw to just over 300W under load. And that's with an overclocked Sandy Bridge-E processor.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7970-ghz-...


Yes but that in no way makes a 650 Watt PSU a "Bad Idea"
The OP seemed interested in future proofing and upgrading in the future so why not include a PSU that will be plenty capable for future upgrades ?

If further down the line the OP wants to upgrade all options are pretty much covered with a decent 650 Watt PSU.
All I'm saying is spend a little extra now, rather than finding out later on that you can get a new motherboard and an second GPU but wait because you only have a 500Watt PSU you now need a new one so spend $90 now and not $60 now and another $90 later.

Mactronix :) 

a c 130 U Graphics card
November 12, 2012 9:04:10 PM

Rockdpm said:
What kind of a cluster F is this guy talking about?


:pfff: 
a b U Graphics card
November 12, 2012 9:21:17 PM

Haha I wasn't even clear which guy he was talking about :-) Sakkura's original statement or mactronix's logic request? Anyway OP is satisfied with PSU, not asking about it at least. I think we can all agree that 500 watts is ample for his current setup, while more wattage allows for future upgradability, potentially at a slight cost to efficiency if he's way under load.
a c 80 U Graphics card
November 12, 2012 9:46:36 PM

mactronix said:
Yes but that in no way makes a 650 Watt PSU a "Bad Idea"
The OP seemed interested in future proofing and upgrading in the future so why not include a PSU that will be plenty capable for future upgrades ?

If further down the line the OP wants to upgrade all options are pretty much covered with a decent 650 Watt PSU.
All I'm saying is spend a little extra now, rather than finding out later on that you can get a new motherboard and an second GPU but wait because you only have a 500Watt PSU you now need a new one so spend $90 now and not $60 now and another $90 later.

Mactronix :) 

Lower efficiency, higher price, barely any more upgradeability.
a b U Graphics card
November 13, 2012 12:54:36 AM

Can this one run the computer?

MSI B75MA-P45 Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
November 13, 2012 1:00:19 AM

the H77 you listed earlier is a much better option. since either one won't overclock
a b U Graphics card
November 13, 2012 1:16:25 AM

Guys which is better GTX 660 ?

1) MSI NVIDIA N660 TF 2GD5/OC 2 GB GDDR5 Graphics Card

2) Asus Geforce GTX660 2GB DDR5 Nvdia PCI E Graphic Cards


Which RAM is better ?

1) 2 x 4GB

2) 1 x 8GB
a b U Graphics card
November 13, 2012 2:23:02 AM

Answer 1: ASUS GTX 660

Answer 2: 2x4GB of ram
a c 130 U Graphics card
November 13, 2012 9:33:25 AM

@ Sumukh_bhagat

You mention future proofing and wanting to know if everything is good.

People are discussing things that you have not really touched on and so are making assumptions.

Can you let us know the answer to these questions please.

1. Are you just looking for a nice but not necessarily upgradable system that will last a couple of years.

2. Do you think you will over clock any of your hardware

3. Is Crossfire or SLI something you would consider in the future


Mactronix :) 
a c 80 U Graphics card
November 13, 2012 9:37:53 AM

mactronix said:
3. Is Crossfire or SLI something you would consider in the future

The motherboard isn't certified for SLI and doesn't provide the proper bandwidth for Crossfire, so that looks like a no.
a c 130 U Graphics card
November 13, 2012 9:42:03 AM

Sakkura said:
The motherboard isn't certified for SLI and doesn't provide the proper bandwidth for Crossfire, so that looks like a no.



You see the bit at the top where it says @ Sumukh_bhagat ?

Mactronix :) 
a c 80 U Graphics card
November 13, 2012 10:59:11 AM

mactronix said:
You see the bit at the top where it says @ Sumukh_bhagat ?

Mactronix :) 

You see the bit at the top where it says forum rather than private message?
a c 130 U Graphics card
November 13, 2012 11:11:07 AM

Sakkura said:
You see the bit at the top where it says forum rather than private message?



@ Sumukh_bhagat

If you want to discuss your build like a grown up without all the idiotic half assed replies then please PM me and we can go over some sensible options that may well fall outside your initial specs, but will provide you with a better experience and options further down the line, as well as saving money in the long run.

Some here cant seem to comprehend the idea of trying to be helpful outside of the persister set in the initial post. :pfff: 

Mactronix :) 
a b U Graphics card
November 13, 2012 11:18:18 AM

the i5-3470 + gtx 660 is the best option along with a decent 550 or 650 watt psu along with H77 mobo and 2*4 gb ddr3 1600 mhz ram
a b U Graphics card
November 13, 2012 12:37:11 PM

wow I've never seen a computer build thread get this bad. Everyone beating around the bush
a b U Graphics card
November 13, 2012 12:45:44 PM

Hmmm I've seen worse :-) A troll (not going to name names) went on a massive rant about how he wanted to burn me to death in a fire before, for calling him a troll... then went on a rant against the moderators so everybody could see how badass he is.

You get used to this kind of thing on here though I'm afraid, people taking this stuff (and themselves) far too seriously. Least it's a poll so the central question is answered via votes. And it looks like a landslide vote!
a b U Graphics card
November 13, 2012 2:42:32 PM

That sounded more like a death threat than anything else
a b U Graphics card
November 13, 2012 3:44:21 PM

Rockdpm said:
That sounded more like a death threat than anything else


Sounded like that to me too. Surprising he wasn't banned (which he dared the mods to do). A lot of people on here just invest too much (mentally) in this stuff. Many are agonising over a 5% framerate difference (so 42fps vs 40fps) or a £20 price difference (I mean come on - that's the cost of a takeaway or a trip to the cinema).

Polls are a good way of doing this though - nobody waging holy war over the right choices, just one vote per person. I'd probably ask a question using a poll in that position if I didn't just look at the benchmarks myself, look up the prices and make up my own mind about these purchases :-)
a c 271 U Graphics card
November 13, 2012 4:30:28 PM

sam_p_lay said:
Sounded like that to me too. Surprising he wasn't banned (which he dared the mods to do). A lot of people on here just invest too much (mentally) in this stuff. Many are agonising over a 5% framerate difference (so 42fps vs 40fps) or a £20 price difference (I mean come on - that's the cost of a takeaway or a trip to the cinema).

Polls are a good way of doing this though - nobody waging holy war over the right choices, just one vote per person. I'd probably ask a question using a poll in that position if I didn't just look at the benchmarks myself, look up the prices and make up my own mind about these purchases :-)

Would you PM me that users name please.
a b U Graphics card
November 14, 2012 2:30:11 AM

mactronix said:


1. Are you just looking for a nice but not necessarily upgradable system that will last a couple of years.

2. Do you think you will over clock any of your hardware

3. Is Crossfire or SLI something you would consider in the future


Answer 1. Yes.

The word "Future Proof" here means that I'll add nothing extra in near future. I'll only invest this time but not again in future. After few years again I'll reupgrade my computer from the very starting IF NEEDED.

Answer 2. No

Answer 3. No
a c 92 U Graphics card
November 14, 2012 4:27:16 AM

I suggest an i5 3470 or even a sandy bridge i5 like the 2400 for your situation.

for the graphics side, its a toss up between a 7870 or a 660, either one is good but I would say the 7870 is faster but depends on pricing and the games you play.
a c 130 U Graphics card
November 15, 2012 7:06:20 PM

Sumukh_Bhagat said:
Answer 1. Yes.

The word "Future Proof" here means that I'll add nothing extra in near future. I'll only invest this time but not again in future. After few years again I'll reupgrade my computer from the very starting IF NEEDED.

Answer 2. No

Answer 3. No



The 3470 and a 660 would be the way to go in that case. Your initial set up would be fine.

Mactronix :) 
!