Will this build work, and how can I make it better?

FallaciousPenguin

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
Hello, I've recently begun the task of building computer rather than buying an Alienware. I have a few questions about my current build.

My Build:

Graphics Card - ATI Radeon HD7950 3 GB
CPU - Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge
Motherboard - ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Hard Drive - Western Digital WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"
RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM
Blu Ray / DVD / CD Drive - LG Black 10X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA
Case - COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced RC-932-KKN5-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower
Network Interface Card - ASUS PCE-N15 Wireless Adapter
Sound Card - ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 Channels

Question 1: Is this build compatible? I don't want to order all of the parts and then come to find out that for some reason the RAM doesn't fit the motherboard. ( From the research that I have done, all of these parts should be compatible. )

Question 2: Is the sound card necessary? The motherboard has on-board audio, and I'm not sure whether that will be good enough.

Question 3: How could I optimize this build? If there is any way that I could make this cheaper, I would appreciate your input. I am willing to change anything in this build.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read and answer my questions.

Solution
For a system like that, 650W would do. If your considering Crossfire/SLI later on (which the board can handle) then get 750W.

To make it overclockable, throw on an aftermarket heatsink and your good to go. The Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO is the go-to budget cooler and should be good to bring that CPU to ~4.2Ghz.
Speaking of heatsinks, get shorter RAM. The hair combs they glue to Corsair Vengeance RAM can get in the way of large heatsinks. G.Skill Ares or Corsair Vengeance Low Profile are the kits to get.

What kind of developing?
In future write down the component name instead of just a link, it gets annoying have to open 10 tabs to see the build.

1. Yes its compatible, though you dont have a PSU.

2. I would say its not, unless your an audiophile and have a significant sound system to hook it up too. If your just using normal stereo speakers or cheap-ish headphones, then a sound card isnt necessary.

3. Is this just a gaming rig? because if it is there's a few ways to cut down on costs without sacrificing performance. Also some small optimizations I can think of, but will depend if you intend to overclock or not.

FallaciousPenguin

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
Sorry for the original format, I updated it with the parts themselves rather than links to them. I didn't know how much power I would need, so I avoided putting a PSU on the list.(Was going to add it later.)

I intend to use the computer for gaming and developing. I would prefer to be able to overclock, but it isn't necessary.

For a system like that, 650W would do. If your considering Crossfire/SLI later on (which the board can handle) then get 750W.

To make it overclockable, throw on an aftermarket heatsink and your good to go. The Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO is the go-to budget cooler and should be good to bring that CPU to ~4.2Ghz.
Speaking of heatsinks, get shorter RAM. The hair combs they glue to Corsair Vengeance RAM can get in the way of large heatsinks. G.Skill Ares or Corsair Vengeance Low Profile are the kits to get.

What kind of developing?

Solution

TRENDING THREADS