More memory worth it music production

empier1988

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011
Building a computer for a kid who creates and produces a lot of music and was wondering if 16gb is worth it over the standard 8 when it comes to memory

cl-scott

Honorable
I'll defer to someone who may actually do a lot of music editing, but I can't imagine that you'd need even 8GB. If it were video editing, or even photo editing, sure, but unless he's working with really long lossless quality music cuts, like over an hour, I don't see it being all that useful. You'd probably get more bang for the buck getting a better CPU or even a professional grade sound card compared to an extra 8GB of RAM.

Aristotelian

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2012
I'm not familiar with music production, but where increasing memory will only help if it involves keeping lots of programs running at the same time. If he is typically using one or two applications at a time, 16GB likely is not going to help.

aramisathei

Honorable
Aug 25, 2012

This.
For everyday stuff or hobbyist work, 8 gigs will be fine.
Only consider 16 gigs if the person will be doing a lot of professional lossless work (which can be done with 8 gigs, although may be a little cumbersome depending on the duration and quality of audio files).